RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Clicking sounds from rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 10:05 AM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking sounds from rear end

I have noticed recently these annoying clicking sounds coming from the rear end. Usually happens when turning or going over bumps. It is more of a deeper sound click that a lighter sound. I've looked to see if anything was loose in the trunk, etc. Seems to be coming from both the rear wheel areas.

Anyone else experiencing this? My warranty is up in 1800 miles so I might have to bring it in.

Also, it doesn't seem to do it in cold weather, but I can't be too sure on that.
Old 03-01-19, 03:06 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine had some sort of creaking when going over bumps at times. I took a video of it and showed it to the dealer. They held the car for a few days because they couldn't reproduce it but finally they did and replaced some strut thing under warranty. GET A VIDEO
Old 03-04-19, 02:55 PM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My warrant is also almost up, about 4K miles left before the 50K warranty runs out. I noticed a clicking noise coming from the back (seems like right back wheel area). This clicking noise is sporadic. I noticed it a few times and the only common theme I can think of was the car just filled up with gas.
I think the clicking noise happens if the car is standing or moving. Tried to get it on video, but normally I'm in a hurry to get to work when I gas up.
Might take it to the dealer - but I'm sure they will say that it can't be duplicated.
Old 03-04-19, 03:05 PM
c3uo
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I think I have a similar issue. If it's minor clicking it's likely the disc brake pads seating in their holders, but otherwise it could be sway bar links, struts, or underbody panels. see this thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-potholes.html
Old 03-08-19, 01:01 PM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

Here is some video of the clicking sounds.
Old 03-12-19, 09:57 PM
Stiknight
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates? I’ve noticed a metal rattle when I close the doors coming from underneath the car, I can reproduce the metal rattle when hitting the rear bumper with a light fist hit. also when driving i noticed a clicking like if a bolt was rolling around in trunk. Went underneath and I did find a small rock between the metal exhaust fittings. Took them out will have to see if it helped as I’ve yet to drive the car again,
Old 03-14-19, 04:13 AM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

I am tkaing it today. I figure I have a 75% chance of them saying "We can't reproduce the problem".
Old 03-14-19, 05:22 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by asheville
I am tkaing it today. I figure I have a 75% chance of them saying "We can't reproduce the problem".
You insist on going out in the car with their head technician and show him what you mean - the only way to do things like that.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (03-15-19)
Old 03-15-19, 05:00 AM
asheville
Driver School Candidate

They kept it. They claim it is the sunroof. I am not convinced but it does sound logical. I asked how they tested it and they said they drove it, opened the sunroof to the tilt position. It still made the noise and then they held the glass and it stopped the noise. They said they needed my car for a few days.
Old 03-23-19, 04:01 AM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

100% agree with the video idea. The dealers won't do much unless they can reproduce the issue. Which is kind of lame.
Old 03-23-19, 04:05 AM
milk659
Driver

Sad to say my RX has more than fair share of random rattles and creaks from various parts. Not acceptable for such a luxury vehicle. I have pursued them with the dealership a few times but with all the fuss the service techs put up, I decided to live with these issues.

That being said, my latest issue was caused by a loose license plate (and rusty screws holding the license plate) on the hatch door. I invested in a silicone bracket and stainless steel screws; rattles no more.
Old 03-23-19, 04:08 AM
milk659
Driver

Also worth mentioning is to check under the boot floor. I had the wheel lock key flying loose under the boot floor, which caused "CLUNK-GONK" sounds at times. The storage compartment for the tools under the boot have specific areas for the tools, if tools are not where they are supposed to be, they tend to move around and rattle!
Old 03-23-19, 05:08 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
100% agree with the video idea. The dealers won't do much unless they can reproduce the issue. Which is kind of lame.
Just trying to follow your logic here - if the service tech can’t reproduce the issue and because of that he/she can’t identify the issue then it’s lame that they don’t just start randomly taking things apart to see if that solves the problem? OK....

For the sake of sparing my car being ripped apart unnecessarily I don’t want techs replacing things unless they can reproduce the problem. Some of these “rattles” are difficult to figure out....
Old 03-23-19, 12:57 PM
milk659
Driver

My logic is simple. A "Luxury" brand car with MSRP > $50K should not have issues like random rattles. My previous luxury car didn't.

The issue of random rattles and squeaks in a "Luxury" car only a few years old, signifies poor craftsmanship. And the company should stand behind their product and try to deliver what the customer expects from such a price tag. If not, then they must stand up and say "We have an inferior product, and our cars will never be as good as the Germans"; rather than make up statements to pass the buck.

Now I know i will receive a lot of hate for saying what I just said. Honestly if you have owned a Luxury vehicle prior to Lexus and did not experience quality issues before, comparisons are inevitable.

If someone is happy by spending > $50K on a car that squeaks and rattles at random within a year of ownership; Kudos to you! You just bought a very expensive rattle-toy. I am not that person. I think my hard earned money deserves better. Thats why I do not recommend anyone to buy a Lexus product. (Cue the hate-mail now)
Old 03-23-19, 01:07 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
My logic is simple. A "Luxury" brand car with MSRP > $50K should not have issues like random rattles. My previous luxury car didn't.

The issue of random rattles and squeaks in a "Luxury" car only a few years old, signifies poor craftsmanship. And the company should stand behind their product and try to deliver what the customer expects from such a price tag. If not, then they must stand up and say "We have an inferior product, and our cars will never be as good as the Germans"; rather than make up statements to pass the buck.

Now I know i will receive a lot of hate for saying what I just said. Honestly if you have owned a Luxury vehicle prior to Lexus and did not experience quality issues before, comparisons are inevitable.

If someone is happy by spending > $50K on a car that squeaks and rattles at random within a year of ownership; Kudos to you! You just bought a very expensive rattle-toy. I am not that person. I think my hard earned money deserves better. Thats why I do not recommend anyone to buy a Lexus product. (Cue the hate-mail now)
Lol...it’s a car not a piece of precision lifesaving machinery. One - $50K is not all that much for a car - you can get a Toyota Highlander up to around that much. Two - I’ve never owned a car that didn’t have some squeak or rattle after a period of time - Audi, Acura, Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Volvo, BMW. Some were very minor and some I brought the car in and had them fixed. None of them were a big deal. You’re expectations are so high the only outcome will be perpetual disappointment.

Here’s a hint - your unicorn “luxury” car with no rattles...it was luck...smile...it’s just a car. When my rattle develops I’ll just turn the radio up and drive the damn car until a service appointment where they will fix it and life goes on.

Last edited by PWMDMD; 03-23-19 at 01:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Clicking sounds from rear end