RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

How are the 12 speakers quality compared to 9 speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 11:06 AM
Enok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are the 12 speakers quality compared to 9 speakers?

For those who bought the navigation package, is the audio quality from the 12 speaker system better than the 9 speaker system that comes standard? Worth the upgrade just for the audio?
Old 02-23-19, 11:23 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my 2 cents and advice. The sound of the car, no matter which one i bought was VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. Of course you have to decide how much that aspect of the car is important to you and weigh it accordingly. I carried around a cd with me and played it in various cars in various dealers. For, me personally, I LOVED the Mark Levinson system. To be honest i didn't even try the regular one in the RX. So I bought mine with the Mark Levinson and a year later still LOVE it! But your mileage may vary. You really need to listen for yourself and you will NOT get a fair comparison if you just listen to the radio because of different reception capabilities at different times and different broadcast qualities etc. You need to bring a CD or usb with your music and A-B it that way. You will also read many comments in other sections that say that people cant hear the difference etc etc. Its really REALLY subjective! (Only you can really tell what you like)
The following 2 users liked this post by DyaDya:
Enok (02-23-19), Getty (04-25-19)
Old 02-23-19, 03:02 PM
Enok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DyaDya
Here is my 2 cents and advice. The sound of the car, no matter which one i bought was VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO ME. Of course you have to decide how much that aspect of the car is important to you and weigh it accordingly. I carried around a cd with me and played it in various cars in various dealers. For, me personally, I LOVED the Mark Levinson system. To be honest i didn't even try the regular one in the RX. So I bought mine with the Mark Levinson and a year later still LOVE it! But your mileage may vary. You really need to listen for yourself and you will NOT get a fair comparison if you just listen to the radio because of different reception capabilities at different times and different broadcast qualities etc. You need to bring a CD or usb with your music and A-B it that way. You will also read many comments in other sections that say that people cant hear the difference etc etc. Its really REALLY subjective! (Only you can really tell what you like)
I understand that the 15 speakers mark levinson sounds better than the standard speakers. I’m more concerned of the 12 speakers quality over the default ones. I’m no audiophile so can’t tell the difference
Old 02-24-19, 12:32 PM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ok, sorry, i misunderstood the situation. i wasn't sure about speaker count. i thought there was only 2 possibilities. That is regular or Mark Levinson. so I just assumed the dilemma was between the "standard" system or the "Mark Levinson". It sounds like there is a 3rd option i was unaware of.
Old 02-24-19, 01:00 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Number of speaker relates to surround sound system like home theater we have in our homes or cinema audio system.
Old 02-24-19, 01:20 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Enok

I understand that the 15 speakers mark levinson sounds better than the standard speakers. I’m more concerned of the 12 speakers quality over the default ones. I’m no audiophile so can’t tell the difference
My 2 cents is let your ear will be the best judge - I'd take a CD with you and use that to compare. The quality of audio signals from radio won't really illuminate the difference so CD or iPod would be better. That being said, I understand the 12 speakers come with the Nav package and 12.3" high res screen - to me, the upgraded screen is far and away the larger consideration than the extra speakers. To me, that's worth the upgrade and if the 12 speakers come along with it, it's bonus. But if it's really just the speakers, if it sounds better to you then it's worth it. But everyone's hearing, musical taste and priority are different.

I'll leave a plug for the Mark Levinson system - I just got a 2016 CPO with the ML system and I'm truly enjoying it. I had a 2016 IS 200t with standard audio, and there is a noticeable difference.
Old 02-27-19, 06:13 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Just picked up a 2019 RX 350 with the premium package yesterday after really debating between base (9 speakers), premium (12 speakers) and an F-sport (ML system). I did side-by-side comparisons and while the ML system was nice I thought the 12-speak premium system was surprisingly good. Compared to the 9 speaker I though the 12 speaker did sound significantly better than the 9 speaker system - a little more "full" sounding.

Ultimately, I chose the premium package because the stereo was certainly good enough and I didn't like the bolstered seats on the F-sport.
The following users liked this post:
Oldernu (05-03-19)
Old 02-27-19, 06:55 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the 12 speaker in my 17 RX 350 and I think it sounds pretty good. The ML in my IS was better but not by much. I added a small powered sub and upgraded the speakers in the doors and I really enjoy it now.
Old 02-28-19, 07:43 AM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DyaDya
Couldn't agree more on what you said. To me, the ML system in the RX is worth whatever extra Lexus is charging. I'm an audiophile and very impressed with the sound quality. the new ML processor in the RX is way better than my other ride 17' GX with ML system. Overall, ML system is the way to go if you care about audio quality.
Old 02-28-19, 07:52 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

As others have said it depends on your ear! I listened to the 12 speakers & ML and could not justify the upgrade based on the sound. This is me, other perhaps with more attuned ear may justify it.
IMO the 12 speakers if more than good enough for a car.
Old 03-08-19, 11:10 AM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Recently I got a rx350 loaner without the ML and in my opinion, it did not sound as good as the ML system which I have on my 2018 rx350. The music just seems more alive and clear. Really glad I got the ML.
BTW, may be not a good comparison here, for what its worth, the RX ML system sounds much better than my old gx470 ML system.
Old 03-08-19, 11:26 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dchan865
Recently I got a rx350 loaner without the ML and in my opinion, it did not sound as good as the ML system which I have on my 2018 rx350. The music just seems more alive and clear. Really glad I got the ML.
BTW, may be not a good comparison here, for what its worth, the RX ML system sounds much better than my old gx470 ML system.
ML name is just name sake these days. Company was sold by the original company founder. Even in audiophile world they lost prestige.
Easiest way to improve quality of sound is replacing those El Cheapo speakers with good quality ones. In my case to enjoy good music I do it on my home stereo or home theater set up.
Old 03-13-19, 03:06 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tuandino
Couldn't agree more on what you said. To me, the ML system in the RX is worth whatever extra Lexus is charging. I'm an audiophile and very impressed with the sound quality. the new ML processor in the RX is way better than my other ride 17' GX with ML system. Overall, ML system is the way to go if you care about audio quality.
I have the ML in my 17 RX and thought that the sound lacks bass. I tried to turn off surround as some have recommended, but the system seems to require higher volumn to put out the needed sound. What did I miss? Thx.
Old 03-13-19, 04:43 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't dispute that the ML system is better. What I wonder is it $1,200 better or whatever the option cost.
In Canada in 2017 to get the ML one had to go to the top of the line a $12,000 increase vs my Luxury package (midlevel) certainly NOT worth that cost.
As Htony suggested better to replace the speakers and also cheaper.
Old 03-13-19, 04:52 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I don't dispute that the ML system is better. What I wonder is it $1,200 better or whatever the option cost.
In Canada in 2017 to get the ML one had to go to the top of the line a $12,000 increase vs my Luxury package (midlevel) certainly NOT worth that cost.
As Htony suggested better to replace the speakers and also cheaper.
sound is a very subjective matter. Simply replacing speakers might gain a very minimal difference. The speakers are mated to stock amp. Once you figuring the cost and complexity of swapping out the stock amp with an aftermarket one, you will soon realize it's much more costly than just paying $1k difference for the ML system that Lexus offer. My 2 cents
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (03-13-19)

Quick Reply: How are the 12 speakers quality compared to 9 speakers?