Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - 4th Gen (2016-present)
How are the 12 speakers quality compared to 9 speakers? >

How are the 12 speakers quality compared to 9 speakers?

Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are the 12 speakers quality compared to 9 speakers?

Old 03-13-19, 04:57 PM
Cocal
Lead Lap

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tuandino View Post
sound is a very subjective matter. Simply replacing speakers might gain a very minimal difference. The speakers are mated to stock amp. Once you figuring the cost and complexity of swapping out the stock amp with an aftermarket one, you will soon realize it's much more costly than just paying $1k difference for the ML system that Lexus offer. My 2 cents
I don't know the cost or intricacy of replacing the speakers, but IMO the upgrade from 9 to 12 speakers in my case was more than sufficient. If I wanted high fidelity he car is not the place I'd be wanting it in.
Old 03-13-19, 05:11 PM
GSFRX350
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua View Post
I have the ML in my 17 RX and thought that the sound lacks bass. I tried to turn off surround as some have recommended, but the system seems to require higher volumn to put out the needed sound. What did I miss? Thx.
"What did you miss?" You're just expecting too much in the way of bass, the system is about quality not quantity; I've always had aftermarket systems in my cars with the big woofer in the rear and sometimes I miss that thump, thump, thump, the power is addictive but I guess as I'm older now I'm not so concerned with that thump, the quality is more important to me and generally the system's great. Of course there's times when the volume could be more on certain tracks but overall I like it.

I assume you've gone into the tone settings and tried putting the bass up more.
Old 03-15-19, 09:37 AM
Gino45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a silly question, but here goes: I have the Navigation Pkg 2019 RX350, The sound system sounds good, however, this system is supposed to have 12 speakers. I count 9. Can anyone tell me where the missing 3 are?
Old 03-15-19, 09:58 AM
kolokmee
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gino45 View Post
This may be a silly question, but here goes: I have the Navigation Pkg 2019 RX350, The sound system sounds good, however, this system is supposed to have 12 speakers. I count 9. Can anyone tell me where the missing 3 are?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10012441

Dual drivers in the corner dash mounted speakers + subwoofer in the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
Gino45 (03-15-19)
Old 03-15-19, 10:11 AM
Gino45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, would you believe they (the Sales people) had to call Lexus to find out that there were multiple drivers in two of the speakers. No one really knew where the sub-woofer was, even when I pointed to it and said "What's this?
Old 03-15-19, 11:11 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350 View Post
"What did you miss?" You're just expecting too much in the way of bass, the system is about quality not quantity; I've always had aftermarket systems in my cars with the big woofer in the rear and sometimes I miss that thump, thump, thump, the power is addictive but I guess as I'm older now I'm not so concerned with that thump, the quality is more important to me and generally the system's great. Of course there's times when the volume could be more on certain tracks but overall I like it.

I assume you've gone into the tone settings and tried putting the bass up more.
I have adjusted the settings. The non ML system in my ES sounds better to my ears, but I have not listened to a non ML system in the RX4. Maybe my expectation was too high as you mentioned. The ML system does have lots of power if one cranks up the volumn. I guess what bother me is the bass sounds much stronger in my ES (non-ML) than in my RX (with ML).
Old 03-15-19, 11:14 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Some speaker locations has 2 in each. That was how Lexus count them, I believe.
Old 03-15-19, 12:01 PM
gregjhonda
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexus counts a single coaxial speaker as two speakers even though it's physically one unit.
Old 03-15-19, 03:52 PM
kolokmee
Driver

Originally Posted by gregjhonda View Post
Lexus counts a single coaxial speaker as two speakers even though it's physically one unit.
To be fair, every automotive manufacturer does the same thing when advertising their speaker count...
Old 03-15-19, 04:41 PM
GSFRX350
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks, would you believe they (the Sales people) had to call Lexus to find out that there were multiple drivers in two of the speakers. No one really knew where the sub-woofer was, even when I pointed to it and said "What's this?
They're just sales people, this week selling Lexus next week it could be Honda. Years ago a salesman was showing me the remote and how to open the trunk on a Mitsubishi, he said you need to push this small button here, sometimes it's doesn't work so you need to give it harder push - I bought the car and later found in the manual that to open the trunk you actually have to push that small button twice, so effectively that was what he was doing when pushing harder the second time, but he obviously had no idea.
Old 04-25-19, 02:30 AM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Enok View Post
For those who bought the navigation package, is the audio quality from the 12 speaker system better than the 9 speaker system that comes standard? Worth the upgrade just for the audio?
I agree with the first reply in this thread, that sound is highly subjective.

One of my biggest complaints with my previous car, a Highlander, was the stereo. It just didn’t sound “right” to me... like Beats headphones or something... just “bloated” bass and missing detail... just... not right. I went to great lengths trying to fix it. I improved it, but was never happy. Occasionally a particular song sounded okay, but overall the tonality and realism was inferior to a Kia Soul (high trim) and that drove me nuts.

I have the 12 speaker system in my RX and I am positively thrilled with it. To my ears it’s stunningly good.

The FIRST thing you should do when giving it a listen is go into the menu and click Auto to ON, and DSP/Surround to ON. Normally I don’t have a system automatically compensate speed/road, but they nailed it... and the DSP is absolutely awesome. It makes a transparent soundstage that’s way bigger than the interior... with detail coming from “out there somewhere”. Did I mention I’m thrilled?

EDIT to add: Oddly enough Satellite radio doesn’t sound as good as HD FM or a CD. Also... any low bitrate MP3 will become garbage. You can burn/rip 320kbps MP3 to a writable DVD (yes I know this is inferior to CD, with a bitrate of 14xx) and it still sounds great (better than Sirius/XM) and this system reads that DVD just like a CD! Pretty cool since you can have about 600 songs on one disc and just leave it in there!

Oh also... the nav plays movies!

When you drive it turns off the screen, but the audio continues AND IS AWESOME! Full surround and center, just like a home theater! Movie soundtracks are awesome in the car! (DVD only, no Blu-ray)

Last edited by Getty; 04-25-19 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 04:40 PM
kolokmee
Driver

Not sure why you'd be surprised that Sirius/XM does not sound as good. With limited satellite bandwidth, their bitrate is (from what I've read), roughly equivalent to 24-64 kbps AAC. It's slightly better than FM stereo, but nowhere near HD FM; and it's not even fair to compare it to 128 kbps MP3, let alone full CD quality.
Old 04-25-19, 05:41 PM
Getty
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kolokmee View Post
Not sure why you'd be surprised that Sirius/XM does not sound as good. With limited satellite bandwidth, their bitrate is (from what I've read), roughly equivalent to 24-64 kbps AAC. It's slightly better than FM stereo, but nowhere near HD FM; and it's not even fair to compare it to 128 kbps MP3, let alone full CD quality.
I also have a Soul Exclaim (for my work/beater car) and Sirius sounds fantastic in there... not just "okay" but really good. In the ML system threads, people say you won't be as happy with the ML unless you give it good source material, because it shows the weakness in worse recordings/sources. Well... the 12 speaker system makes that crystal clear too. The difference is shocking (for me). That's why the "surprise". It's a clear and immediate difference, not subtle at all... so much so that I won't continue the Sat in the RX... meanwhile, in the Kia you can rock-out and it's still impressive.

When people say a system is enjoyable (or not) based on the source material... I sometimes kind of shrug it off, thinking I'm glad I'm not that much of an audiophile... but again, I'm thrilled with the 12 system in the RX... and after feeling so dissatisfied with the Highlander's sound... it's quite the relief.

Not that it matters, but just so anyone reading knows my background... my home cans are HD650 via HDVA 600... and mains are Focal MTM paired with stereo SVS. So while I'm far from an audio "elitist" or whatever... and I still do say sound IS subjective (always judge for yourself)... I appreciate good sound far more than the average buyer.
Old 04-25-19, 07:58 PM
1Louder
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For me the ML system was totally worth it. The bass response from the sub is shocking. Deepest bass response I've had in any car. And the RX is so quiet, it really gives you the opportunity to enjoy it.
Getty (04-26-19)
Old 04-26-19, 12:39 AM
kolokmee
Driver

Originally Posted by Getty View Post
I also have a Soul Exclaim (for my work/beater car) and Sirius sounds fantastic in there... not just "okay" but really good. In the ML system threads, people say you won't be as happy with the ML unless you give it good source material, because it shows the weakness in worse recordings/sources. Well... the 12 speaker system makes that crystal clear too. The difference is shocking (for me). That's why the "surprise". It's a clear and immediate difference, not subtle at all... so much so that I won't continue the Sat in the RX... meanwhile, in the Kia you can rock-out and it's still impressive.

When people say a system is enjoyable (or not) based on the source material... I sometimes kind of shrug it off, thinking I'm glad I'm not that much of an audiophile... but again, I'm thrilled with the 12 system in the RX... and after feeling so dissatisfied with the Highlander's sound... it's quite the relief.

Not that it matters, but just so anyone reading knows my background... my home cans are HD650 via HDVA 600... and mains are Focal MTM paired with stereo SVS. So while I'm far from an audio "elitist" or whatever... and I still do say sound IS subjective (always judge for yourself)... I appreciate good sound far more than the average buyer.
Granted, I haven't heard the Infinity sound system in the Kia Soul yet, but from my experience with the ML, and prior Dirac system in my old BMW, plus a few rental GM/Fords, Sirius/XM have been all kinds of terrible. You notice the hollowness and over-compressed sound right away.

Mind you though, your ears do adjust, and I've noticed that on long trips when you don't get stable FM radio, and you get tired of listening to your own MP3 collection; satellite radio becomes "acceptable" and you don't notice the compression as much. It's also quite possible that the Kia's sound system may be programmed to compensate for the Sirius/XM compression, and pushes certain frequencies more, so they can sound "good". It may get exposed with certain songs, but you'll have to do a side-by-side comparison with another sound system playing the same song to notice the difference.

Btw, you mentioned burning MP3's onto DVDs and playing it in your RX. You're probably better off getting a 32GB USB flash drive and loading your MP3 collection on there. Much faster than burning a DVD; and over 5 times the capacity.

Getty (04-26-19)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: