RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 RX450h camber & alignment warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 04:34 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
The rotational direction changes, but the inside is still the inside. You dont dismount the tires, or bolt the outside of the wheel to the inside. The outside is always the outside. Put a mark, or piece of tape on the outside of the front tire, and then move it to the opposite side in the rear, is your tape or mark now on the inside?? Nope!!
I spent 25 years working on an alignment rack, as well as other things being an ase certified master mechanic.

Yes, i cross rotate my tires as well that are able to be. Not all vehickes have the same size wheels in all 4 corners, or asymmetric tires,

I was going easy with my post you wanted to quote, hope this and google clears up your confusion. If not feel free to believe your alternative facts.
ok. ok now I remember the mechanic told me my front tires were tiling towards inside...-ve camber. I guess I will find out whether these new tires will last longer than 15K with both camber & toe alignment fixed.

Last edited by yardbird88; 01-29-19 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 04:54 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
The rotational direction changes, but the inside is still the inside. You dont dismount the tires, or bolt the outside of the wheel to the inside. The outside is always the outside. Put a mark, or piece of tape on the outside of the front tire, and then move it to the opposite side in the rear, is your tape or mark now on the inside?? Nope!!
I spent 25 years working on an alignment rack, as well as other things being an ase certified master mechanic.

Yes, i cross rotate my tires as well that are able to be. Not all vehickes have the same size wheels in all 4 corners, or asymmetric tires,

I was going easy with my post you wanted to quote, hope this and google clears up your confusion. If not feel free to believe your alternative facts.
JSracer was right, the -ve camber might have worked on the inside of the tires. The toes might have played its part too. I am happy with the new tires and alignment fixed. The dealer also told me after they fixed the camber and toes, they had to adjust the steering a bit. Thanks for all.
Old 02-05-19, 01:07 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't really see anything wrong with your "before" numbers either. The toe was just barely out of spec but I don't think the adjustment they made is going to cure your tire wear.

I believe you said in another thread that you are using Michelin Premier LTX tires and they are known to wear rather fast. To begin with, they only have 8.5/32" of tread when new, where most tires have 10/32" or greater (you can verify tread wear rate and depth on Tire Rack for yourself). The Premier line of tires has a soft compound that don't wear great (but ride and grip nicely) - have had three sets of Premier A/S on a Camry that all lasted 25k miles, and it was a deciding factor in NOT buying Michelins for my 3RX. I have heard through this forum that some tire shops are not recommending the Premier LTX anymore, due to having a lot of pro-rated adjustments for tire wear. Also, if you are driving more city/stop-n-go like I think you are (based on Longo Lexus location - been there), your new Michelins probably won't last much more than 20k, if even that. That's just how it is if you want to buy soft, quiet Michelins and drive a 4500lb SUV in the city.

Some blame also lies with Lexus here, as they do not put an adequate tire on these vehicles IMHO. Tire width is 235mm regardless of whether you get the 18" or 20" wheel. The 235mm width has been an option since the 2004 RX330, which weighed as little as 3860lbs, whereas a RX450h AWD currently tips the scales at 4740lbs. Meanwhile, the Audi Q7 2.0t has a curb weight of 4729lbs and offers either 255 or 285mm tire width. Even as far back as 1998, the original Mercedes M-Class came with a 255mm tire, as the base tire. Obviously, there is more tire to wear out when it's wider, and spreading the same weight across a bigger contact patch will results in less wear. These are not the ONLY contributors to tire wear, but I would bet that lousy tire wear on these SUVs is going to be an ongoing issue.

Last edited by N4TECguy; 02-05-19 at 01:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (02-05-19)
Old 02-05-19, 05:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

N4TecGuy, that was a very informative post & explains my theory - thanks! It’s an assumption, but the *****stones are probably about the same or worse as the Michelins. Amazingly, none of the fanboys have spoken up with their 50-60,000 mile tires, while the rest of us are getting 20-25,000 miles out of the factory tires.

I just received my latest Consumer Reports magazine & find it interesting that the RX is still a recommended mid size luxury SUV, but it’s now in a distant third place, behind Audi & BMW respectively. Both the Audi & BMW cost more than the Lexus. The BMW delivered 23 mpg - that’s a great number, considering I’m getting between 22 -26 mpg with the 450h (I’ve NEVER seen the claimed 30 mpg). I don’t know anyone that owns one of the BMW X series SUVs, but I have noticed that BMW uses a considerably wider tire. Having test driven one, they handle way better than the RX, but are almost in a different class - much more sporty. BMW also tends to use Continental tires. I have no idea what Audi uses & have not driven one of their SUVs.