RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rattling Noise in Driver Side Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-17, 08:15 PM
yoyofish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Noise in Driver Side Door Panel

Hello,
My new RX450H started to have a rattle in the driver's door. Anyone has any idea? it seems to be from driver's windows ventilation area (area below that plastic AC cap for the window). Thanks!
Old 06-16-17, 04:01 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I had a little rattle around the power window controls that went away when the windows were tinted. Door panel removed and when they re-installed it, the rattle was gone.
Also if it happens when the window is down slightly, it could be the track that the window goes in. They added some padding into the tracks.
Make sure there is nothing rattling in the little secret compartment down by your knee.
Make sure all the pieces that are added to the door panel ( little vent) and dash area are fastened down and snug
Check the door panel itself. Is it pushed all the way down on the frame of the door.

Good luck, if all else fails you will be seeing the dealer at 5K....if you can wait that long.
The following users liked this post:
AustinTex (02-12-22)
Old 01-21-19, 06:08 PM
mjr08010
Driver School Candidate

Hello All,

Back in August I got a new RX350 and within that first week I noticed a rattling noise on my driver side door panel. Initially, it was manageable but over time it's getting worse or perhaps I'm just getting more annoyed by it. Either way, I'm here in hopes someone might know how to fix it.
Basically, it only rattles when the car is in motion and not sitting idle. The noise is occurring on the panel below the window where drivers sometimes rest their left elbow. Oddly enough, when I rest my elbow on that panel the rattling goes away which confirms where the noise is coming from. Problem is I cannot access what's underneath the panel. It definitely rattles more now that it's cold weather season. Makes me think that it has something to do with the meeting point of the leather and wood veneer.
All in all, it is extremely distracting when I'm driving and rather than waiting until my next maintenance appointment I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Old 01-21-19, 06:26 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Best thing to do is to record a video of it happening and show it them!
Old 01-21-19, 09:40 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mjr08010
Hello All,

Back in August I got a new RX350 and within that first week I noticed a rattling noise on my driver side door panel. Initially, it was manageable but over time it's getting worse or perhaps I'm just getting more annoyed by it. Either way, I'm here in hopes someone might know how to fix it.
Basically, it only rattles when the car is in motion and not sitting idle. The noise is occurring on the panel below the window where drivers sometimes rest their left elbow. Oddly enough, when I rest my elbow on that panel the rattling goes away which confirms where the noise is coming from. Problem is I cannot access what's underneath the panel. It definitely rattles more now that it's cold weather season. Makes me think that it has something to do with the meeting point of the leather and wood veneer.
All in all, it is extremely distracting when I'm driving and rather than waiting until my next maintenance appointment I thought I'd ask here. Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
I had a rattling noise in my roof when my car was new, and the dealer fixed it. I almost didn't bring it to the dealer thinking that they would refuse to recognize the noise, and also I was concerned that they would tear the car apart getting to the noise. Luckily, the Lexus tech recognized the noise and fixed it for me. It was in a corner at the top of the pano roof. One lesson I learned first hand was: I was sure the noise came from inside the passenger door at one point, but in cars, noise can disguise its source well, and it may not come from where one thinks. I would give the Lexus service tech a shot of fixing it. My RX noise bothered me a lot, and it was not always consistent, but Lexus fixed it for me. It has been gone ever since. Good luck
Old 01-22-19, 07:04 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Why wait? If it's bothering you that much, bring it back. You don't want to start tearing the door panel apart on a brand new car, do you?
Old 01-07-20, 07:13 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Unhappy Driver door rattle

Hey guys I got a 2019 f sport and was wondering if anyone has any insight on their driver door rattling.

The car is roughly about a year old with 8k, around 7k i noticed a rattle in the driver door almost sounding like a thin sheet of plastic vibrating. The noise from what I can tell is coming where you would normally put your left elbow on the car, so at the top of the door panel. Only happens when driving and when you rest your elbow the sound magically disappears. I've had some brushed off moments at the dealership which weren't positive nor negative but just awkward so i feel like asking the rx community would be a better place to start. Has anyone had this problem? It would be nice to see if others have had this problem to explain this mystery rattle to the dealership. The posts that I did search for share my experience but were never updated.
Old 05-05-20, 03:35 PM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I noticed a rattle in the driver's door panel in my '17 CPO whenever I drove over bumpy roads. I took the RX to the Lexus dealership yesterday to have it looked at. The tech and foreman couldn't reproduce it, so the foreman asked me to come in this morning for a ride-along. He wanted "to get to the bottom of it." What service! Fortunately for me, the foreman heard it. So they removed the door panel to tighten several clips.

Problem fixed!

Interestingly, the '20 RX that I had as a loaner (500 miles on the odo) also has a slight driver's door rattle!
The following 2 users liked this post by irishbrahm:
GS350Miami (05-06-20), ravenuer (05-06-20)
Old 08-25-20, 07:42 PM
Schweden
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a slight driver's side rattle on my 2020 RX. Brought it in to get looked at and the dealer said they couldn't replicate it. Go figure that I heard the rattle right as I was driving it home. The rattle recently disappeared and then reappeared. Looks like I'm living with it unless it becomes noticeable near a service appointment. A bit disappointed as the 2017 ES in my household has 0 rattles at 35k miles although I'm a bit relieved finding out that it seems to be a common problem.
Old 08-26-20, 12:16 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Schweden
I have a slight driver's side rattle on my 2020 RX. Brought it in to get looked at and the dealer said they couldn't replicate it. Go figure that I heard the rattle right as I was driving it home. The rattle recently disappeared and then reappeared. Looks like I'm living with it unless it becomes noticeable near a service appointment. A bit disappointed as the 2017 ES in my household has 0 rattles at 35k miles although I'm a bit relieved finding out that it seems to be a common problem.
You insist on going for a ride with one of their techs and show them the noise. Any thing like that where they may say "We couldn't hear that or feel that" you always go with them.
Old 08-26-20, 05:40 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
You insist on going for a ride with one of their techs and show them the noise. Any thing like that where they may say "We couldn't hear that or feel that" you always go with them.
I recently had a rattle that popped up in my 2016 RX and due to COVID restrictions, they wouldn't let me ride with the tech.

The worst part was because they wouldn't let me ride with the tech, the tech came back saying he couldn't replicate it. The moment I drove out of the dealer lot, there was the rattle.

What I ended up doing was recording multiple videos in multiple instances of the rattle, speaking directly with the tech about what to look for during the diagnosis and pushing the service manager to take my concerns seriously.
The following 2 users liked this post by AndrewTO:
GSFRX350 (08-26-20), Lexspeed (02-12-22)
Old 08-29-20, 07:59 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts

They've took the driver side door panel off about 6 times and I still have rattles, or at least thats what they said. After the first three tries they actually fixed it. Took the shop foreman and a ride long with him to fix it, he claimed he couldnt hear it (older gent) but still took the panel off and the rattle was gone. Now another rattle popped up a couple months later, different spot same rattling sound. This is the third time i've asked and the tech also did say they road tested it for 20 miles and couldnt hear anything which is stupid cause its there and because of covid I couldnt drive with them as well. Every time I leave the dealership I can also hear the rattle which is plain stupid, are u deaf or lazy? Fix the damn car.

First rattle I had which is on the top of the door panel where you would normally rest your elbow, if you put slight pressure near the lock it would go away instantly. Foreman said that he installed felt tape and tightened all the clips and it worked, no more rattle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCF...ature=youtu.be

After a couple months I got another rattle. Second rattle which I still have after three dealership attempts, is located above the interior door handle, where the stationary window and regular main window are divided. (above the memory seat controls) not nearly as bad as the first rattle but still very very annoying on long drives. If i put my hand on it with some pressure it also goes away immediately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2KK...ature=youtu.be

Lexus service is going down hill quick. I remember the wheel well protective black coating was slightly peeling away in a small area and the advisor glanced at it and said I ran over some paint and tried to walk me back into the building. Like are you stupid/lazy or are my expectations too high? I kneel down with him watching and with a slight brush of my finger peel a good chunk off. He then says oh we can look at that for you. Why do I have to convince you of a problem and your not proactively trying to solve the issue? Is this honda, or hyundai? I've honestly have had way better experiences there than lexus, seems like you have to complain at least three times before they even attempt to fix the problem.

Ive been debating taking off the door panel and fixing it myself because lexus is incompetent. Looks like ~15 dollars with of new plastic retainer clips and some 3 dollar felt tape. Or should I drop it back off at the dealership to drive away with a rattle again... Theres a diy to take off the panel which seems easy.

Last edited by dannnn; 08-29-20 at 08:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alrx821499 (02-11-22)
Old 09-21-20, 07:01 PM
GregAc
Driver School Candidate

Default Rubber gasket door side vent

I took delivery of my 2020 RX last month. Within the first few days I noticed a rattling/creaking sound coming from the driver door and sounded like it was coming from the latch area. Tried lubricating the door seals and the latch but nothing worked. I took it in for service twice and the problem could not be duplicated. This weekend I cleaned the entire inside of the door frame with Meguar’s Waterless Wash/Wax. Previously I hadn’t paid attention to the rubber gasket that seals the air vent from the side of the dash to the door side vent. I noticed that these were VERY creaky so I cleaned those well and got them very quiet. Now for the past two days the car has driven very quiet so I’m hoping this might be what was causing it. Wanted to pass this along in case it helps someone else.

Last edited by GregAc; 09-21-20 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 08:49 AM
ydotl
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bough new RX350 2021 in Nov 2020 and a few weeks into it I started noticing rattle/buzzing noise coming from passenger door panel. It's intermittent, lasting for a few seconds, worse on rough roads and high speed. I took it to the dealer 3 times but they were unable to reproduce it however on the 4th time they heard finally. I was told it could be from the air vent gasket and they applied lubricant but that didn't work at all. There is nothing in the customer bulletin board that lexus is aware of but from this forum I can see there are a lot of complaints for the same issue and Lexus needs to take it more seriously. It's most definitely coming from the door panel because as soon as I put pressure on the panel the noise stops. I'm planning to go back again soon because it's nerve wrecking when you drive long hours with such noise in the background.
Old 07-24-21, 05:31 PM
likecy89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ydotl
I bough new RX350 2021 in Nov 2020 and a few weeks into it I started noticing rattle/buzzing noise coming from passenger door panel. It's intermittent, lasting for a few seconds, worse on rough roads and high speed. I took it to the dealer 3 times but they were unable to reproduce it however on the 4th time they heard finally. I was told it could be from the air vent gasket and they applied lubricant but that didn't work at all. There is nothing in the customer bulletin board that lexus is aware of but from this forum I can see there are a lot of complaints for the same issue and Lexus needs to take it more seriously. It's most definitely coming from the door panel because as soon as I put pressure on the panel the noise stops. I'm planning to go back again soon because it's nerve wrecking when you drive long hours with such noise in the background.
Is there any update on this issue? I gave up on local dealer to fix the issue. I am considering taking the panel off myself to investigate but wanted to know what exactly to do once I take it off.

Quick Reply: Rattling Noise in Driver Side Door Panel