RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

All glass design for panoramic roof

Old 01-16-19, 09:33 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default All glass design for panoramic roof

I like my wife's ES panoramic roof design which gives the impression of one continuous piece of dark glass from the windshield to the rear window looking from the outside. The roof of my RX has a non-glass section toward the rear. I wonder if there is a mechanical reason due to the hatch back door (that forces this design), or was it done for look?
Old 01-18-19, 10:46 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
I like my wife's ES panoramic roof design which gives the impression of one continuous piece of dark glass from the windshield to the rear window looking from the outside. The roof of my RX has a non-glass section toward the rear. I wonder if there is a mechanical reason due to the hatch back door (that forces this design), or was it done for look?
I'm one of those that doesn't like the pano roof! For me it's deal killer. The glass of the roof is NOT the same glass as the windshield and when it shatters you get shards flying inside the cockpit. It is rare, but roofs have shattered due to various factors. Open roofs are a left-over of when cars did not have A/C, MB was the 1st to come out with it, I believe.
Old 01-18-19, 10:59 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I believe the "Pano Roof" glass is made of "Tempered Glass" and is a single layer that is designed to break into multiple small pieces. Unlike the windshield which is laminated (2 pieces of sandwiched glass) and designed to crack and hold it's integrity when hit with a foreign object. I too am not a fan of tempered glass Pano roof glass. I have read that sometimes, the pano roof glass is not covered under your car warranty, but by your auto glass "insurance"?
Old 01-18-19, 08:33 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I'm one of those that doesn't like the pano roof! For me it's deal killer. The glass of the roof is NOT the same glass as the windshield and when it shatters you get shards flying inside the cockpit. It is rare, but roofs have shattered due to various factors. Open roofs are a left-over of when cars did not have A/C, MB was the 1st to come out with it, I believe.
All glass on cars are tempered “safety” glass that breaks into small pieces, not sharp shards. Auto manufacturers, especially luxury cars like lexus, won’t be willing to bear the risk of lawsuit from shards that could injure or kill the passengers, so they will never use glass that breaks into shards just to save a couple bucks. Sunroof are tempered just like the windows. Just look at the print on the glass and you will see they are the same.

One factor I can think of why it’s not all glass is that big and tall suv like the RX has higher center of gravity, thus, higher chance of being up side down in an accident. Also, all glass roof will be weaker than regular roof and less safe for the passenger. To be able to put all glass roof on the RX, lexus need to find a way to strengthen the roof. RX is longer, taller, and heavier than ES, so this is hard. Also, the new ES is built on new architecture, so that’s also why lexus can do it on the ES.

Tesla is able to put the one piece of glass from windshield to the rear because the battery is placed at the bottom. There is lower center of gravity. Tesla said the chance of being up side down is small.

Old 01-19-19, 06:55 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

[QUOTE=qvtruong;10414061]
All glass on cars are tempered “safety” glass that breaks into small pieces, not sharp shards. Auto manufacturers, especially luxury cars like lexus, won’t be willing to bear the risk of lawsuit from shards that could injure or kill the passengers, so they will never use glass that breaks into shards just to save a couple bucks. Sunroof are tempered just like the windows. Just look at the print on the glass and you will see they are the same.
One factor I can think of why it’s not all glass is that big and tall suv like the RX has higher center of gravity, thus, higher chance of being up side down in an accident. Also, all glass roof will be weaker than regular roof and less safe for the passenger. To be able to put all glass roof on the RX, lexus need to find a way to strengthen the roof. RX is longer, taller, and heavier than ES, so this is hard. Also, the new ES is built on new architecture, so that’s also why lexus can do it on the ES.
Tesla is able to put the one piece of glass from windshield to the rear because the battery is placed at the bottom. There is lower center of gravity. Tesla said the chance of being up side down is small
Originally Posted by RGSW
I believe the "Pano Roof" glass is made of "Tempered Glass" and is a single layer that is designed to break into multiple small pieces. Unlike the windshield which is laminated (2 pieces of sandwiched glass) and designed to crack and hold it's integrity when hit with a foreign object. I too am not a fan of tempered glass Pano roof glass. I have read that sometimes, the pano roof glass is not covered under your car warranty, but by your auto glass "insurance"?
That's what I thought too, then I saw a program on TV recently where they expressed surprise & dismay at the fact that it wasn't so, apparently the law doesn't require sun roofs to be made of tempered glass. I sure hope that if it's true they'd change the law.
Old 01-19-19, 08:43 AM
SCRXOwner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pano Roof was not at the top of my list of options but I do like it. The design does not bother me.
Old 01-20-19, 07:36 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by qvtruong

Tesla is able to put the one piece of glass from windshield to the rear because the battery is placed at the bottom. There is lower center of gravity. Tesla said the chance of being up side down is small.

Your reasoning makes sense to me. I also can't imagine any glass in a car is not tempered.
Old 01-20-19, 07:41 PM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SCRXOwner
Pano Roof was not at the top of my list of options but I do like it. The design does not bother me.
Both my wife and I like to have pano roof. I would agree that there are more potential issues with a moon roof or pano roof than not having one.
One benefit is: when waxing my car, there is a lot less work not having to deal with the roof top.
The following users liked this post:
kent2174 (01-21-19)
Old 01-21-19, 03:54 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ut2sua
Both my wife and I like to have pano roof. I would agree that there are more potential issues with a moon roof or pano roof than not having one.
One benefit is: when waxing my car, there is a lot less work not having to deal with the roof top.
A lot less hail dents too...
Old 01-31-19, 03:52 AM
D4V1D
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Adding to this, I would say that I wish Lexus had colored that rear section behind the glass of the pano roof black. That way the entire roof-line was black. It would have hidden the fact that the pano was not the entire length of the vehicle. The front section before the glass that rises when the moonroof is open is black, so just continue that trend on the back section.
Old 01-31-19, 04:07 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by D4V1D
Adding to this, I would say that I wish Lexus had colored that rear section behind the glass of the pano roof black. That way the entire roof-line was black. It would have hidden the fact that the pano was not the entire length of the vehicle. The front section before the glass that rises when the moonroof is open is black, so just continue that trend on the back section.
Get a nice glossy "wrap" on that section.
Old 01-31-19, 04:43 PM
D4V1D
Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Get a nice glossy "wrap" on that section.
Exactly what I'm thinking.
Old 01-31-19, 05:51 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Exactly what I'm thinking.
Since the roof spoiler is painted, wouldn't that mean wrapping part of that as well to continue the flow?
Old 01-31-19, 05:54 PM
D4V1D
Driver

Originally Posted by viperr
Since the roof spoiler is painted, wouldn't that mean wrapping part of that as well to continue the flow?
No, just that last section of the main roof line. The spoiler would stay the same as the body color. I need to photoshop it to see the results first, though.
Old 01-31-19, 06:00 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

No, just that last section of the main roof line. The spoiler would stay the same as the body color. I need to photoshop it to see the results first, though.
Wrapping part of the roof spoiler would have a similar look to the ct200h fsport (without the panoroof but all black look).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All glass design for panoramic roof