RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Grizsk’s RX350 F Sport Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 01:14 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Grizsk’s RX350 F Sport Build

Hey everyone!

I’ve been driving an ‘07 IS350 for a few years now, and have loved every minute of it. Recently my Lady and I welcomed our first child into the world and it very quickly became evident that my beloved 2IS was just not going to cut the mustard for very long.

Enter the RX.

I did weeks of research, 350 vs 450h, F Sport series 2 or 3, and even looked at the F Pace, Range Sport, and X5. My IS is pretty heavily modified, and no disrespect to those who choose a different path, but I was not about to drive around in a stock dad-mobile. My desicion to purchase an RX was made the moment I saw the Aimgain VIP EXE kit for the 2016+ F Sport.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m now the proud owner of a new Obsidian RX 350 F Sport series 3 with Rioja interior and all the fittings.

After a few more days of planning, I stopped in at my local premier automotive modification salon, if you will, to map out the next steps. Without further ado, here’s the plan:

- Full Aimgain VIP EXE Kit
Adds 80mm front and 100mm rear
- Vossen VFS 1 22x10.5
+9 front, +6 w/ 6mm spacer rear
- Continental 285/35zr22
- RS-R Down Sus lowering springs (1.5” drop)
- Full chrome delete with satin black wrap
Tinted tail lights and emblems
- Aimgain ‘Black Shot’ quad exhaust tips (for RX200t)
- Custom exhaust with muffler/resonator delete
- TRD Performance dampers front and rear
- Lsailt Android module with CarPlay functionality
- Professional 1-off ECU tune by reputable semi-local tuner

Some parts have already arrived, but wait times for the wheels and body kit are 6-8 weeks. I’ll be maintaining this thread throughout the process, and will post photos as items are ticked off the list.

Thanks for stopping by!

The following 2 users liked this post by Grizsk:
notasubaru (07-23-19), umpire (08-28-20)
Old 12-14-18, 05:16 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizsk
Hey everyone!

I’ve been driving an ‘07 IS350 for a few years now, and have loved every minute of it. Recently my Lady and I welcomed our first child into the world and it very quickly became evident that my beloved 2IS was just not going to cut the mustard for very long.

Enter the RX.

I did weeks of research, 350 vs 450h, F Sport series 2 or 3, and even looked at the F Pace, Range Sport, and X5. My IS is pretty heavily modified, and no disrespect to those who choose a different path, but I was not about to drive around in a stock dad-mobile. My desicion to purchase an RX was made the moment I saw the Aimgain VIP EXE kit for the 2016+ F Sport.

Fast forward a few weeks and I’m now the proud owner of a new Obsidian RX 350 F Sport series 3 with Rioja interior and all the fittings.

After a few more days of planning, I stopped in at my local premier automotive modification salon, if you will, to map out the next steps. Without further ado, here’s the plan:

- Full Aimgain VIP EXE Kit
Adds 80mm front and 100mm rear
- Vossen VFS 1 22x10.5
+9 front, +6 w/ 6mm spacer rear
- Continental 285/35zr22
- RS-R Down Sus lowering springs (1.5” drop)
- Full chrome delete with satin black wrap
Tinted tail lights and emblems
- Aimgain ‘Black Shot’ quad exhaust tips (for RX200t)
- Custom exhaust with muffler/resonator delete
- TRD Performance dampers front and rear
- Lsailt Android module with CarPlay functionality
- Professional 1-off ECU tune by reputable semi-local tuner

Some parts have already arrived, but wait times for the wheels and body kit are 6-8 weeks. I’ll be maintaining this thread throughout the process, and will post photos as items are ticked off the list.

Thanks for stopping by!

Congratulations on your two new babies!!
Old 12-14-18, 08:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Let's see pictures of at least the RX baby
Old 12-14-18, 09:30 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Thanks!

Update: RS-R Down Sus are going in tomorrow morning, will post a photo just as soon as they’ve settled

Chrome delete in 1-2 weeks, depending on the shop’s schedule.
Old 12-15-18, 09:55 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Update: Phase 1 complete, RS-R Down Sus are installed. Pics down below. I wish it made sense to buy wheels while I wait for my Aimgain kit, this thing is now absolutely begging for 22’s with less offset.

It’ll be worth the wait.

The following 4 users liked this post by Grizsk:
corpnupe85 (08-24-19), GS3ooMania (07-09-19), mikesd1980 (05-10-20), Z3NK1 (12-17-18)
Old 12-16-18, 01:24 AM
BensonTT
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks great! Would you be able to take a side shot pic? Wanna see how low it is with the stock wheels. Thank you
Old 12-16-18, 08:17 AM
Fsportdrvr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hows the ride with the new springs? Still soft?

Also, where are you planning on buying the Aimgain VIP EXE Kit?
Old 12-16-18, 10:27 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Originally Posted by Fsportdrvr
Hows the ride with the new springs? Still soft?

Also, where are you planning on buying the Aimgain VIP EXE Kit?
The ride is still relatively soft, but cornering is massively improved. Body roll is noticeably less dramatic of course, and as someone who enjoys more of a rough ride I’m wildly impressed by the enhanced feedback from the road.

As for the body kit, it is coming directly from Aimgain. Minimum 45 days for it to be made to order, and if you don’t want to wait another 2 months for it do be shipped by sea and risk irreparable shipping damage, you’ll be out around $2000 for air shipping from Japan to North America.
Old 12-17-18, 12:59 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't believe this build is local to me. Pretty pumped to see the end result and your journey to get there.
Old 12-18-18, 04:20 AM
sbui
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would this void any warranty? I’ve been looking to do some work on my rx too. GL
Old 12-19-18, 01:20 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Originally Posted by sbui
Would this void any warranty? I’ve been looking to do some work on my rx too. GL
Dealer says no issues, but can confirm straight from Lexus the optional wheel/tire warranty is only valid for the OEM wheels.
Old 12-20-18, 11:04 AM
Exec8468
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sbui
Check this out...
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
read the "Will using aftermarket or recycled parts void my warranty?". They have to prove the modification caused the defect to void warranty on a specific item. I think it really depends on your specific dealer/service writer on how aftermarket friendly they are.
Old 12-20-18, 11:12 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Originally Posted by Exec8468
Check this out...
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance
read the "Will using aftermarket or recycled parts void my warranty?". They have to prove the modification caused the defect to void warranty on a specific item. I think it really depends on your specific dealer/service writer on how aftermarket friendly they are.
I would agree that its very likely dealer specific. I know the guys at my dealer from parts to service and even the sales manager. Everyone is excited to see this project completed and they’ve even asked me to feature the vehicle on their magazine ads when its done.

Just ask if you’re not sure, better safe than sorry.
Old 01-04-19, 10:33 PM
Grizsk
Driver

Update: Chrome delete is nearly complete. The roof rails need to come off to ensure full coverage, and there are some minor installation issues which need to be addressed, but overall I’m pleased with the results so far. Also decided to remove the ‘RX350’ badging, leaving only F Sport badging which will eventually be satin black/white.

Since I started this post, Vossen released a new wheel for preorder called the HF3. As it turns out, I prefer this wheel over the VFS2 for the build and as luck would have it, the 22x10.5 HF3 is available with an offset range of -17 to +20. I’ll be getting -10 in the front and -17 in the rear, both in Vossens ‘Super Deep’ category and a near exact match for Aimgain’s demo fitment (-10 front/-20 rear). Spacers are likely out of the picture as a result.

Sorry for the closeups, only had the big lens.

Onward.

The following 4 users liked this post by Grizsk:
ericsan13 (01-06-19), mikesd1980 (05-10-20), rx300mm (01-05-19), Z3NK1 (01-05-19)
Old 01-06-19, 03:05 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Looking good. Keep plenty of Meguairs wax handy😁

Quick Reply: Grizsk’s RX350 F Sport Build