RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Panoramic roof questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 01:07 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Panoramic roof questions

Hi guys. I'm having my Lexus dealer find me a 17-18 RX with the luxury package. Does anyone here have a RX with the panoramic roof? Do you like it, and is the inside noisier. I like quiet in the car and I'm guessing that the pano roof would be louder than the regular sun roof. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 12-10-18, 01:16 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
Hi guys. I'm having my Lexus dealer find me a 17-18 RX with the luxury package. Does anyone here have a RX with the panoramic roof? Do you like it, and is the inside noisier. I like quiet in the car and I'm guessing that the pano roof would be louder than the regular sun roof. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
The pano roof comes with a powered shade, so if you really want quiet, you can close it off.

For myself, I could never go back to a car without a pano roof. The "open-airness" you get with the pano roof is just amazing.
The following users liked this post:
Oldloanman (11-08-19)
Old 12-10-18, 01:52 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Not exactly apples to apples, but I have the panoramic roof on my Highlander and I love it. I don't notice any additional noise from it, and the shade is very effective. It's not any louder than our previous RX with the regular sunroof was.

I do believe you cannot install the factory/Lexus roof rack cross bars if you get an RX with the panoramic roof, though, so that's something to be aware of.
Old 12-10-18, 11:12 PM
RRUBI1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it. Did not notice any difference as far as noise when I had a loaner with no Panoramic roof.
Geekteach (12-20-19)
Old 12-11-18, 02:41 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

I have one with the pano roof and one without. I can’t really tell any difference in the noise level.
Old 12-11-18, 09:38 AM
TeKKieNYC
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

The question you should be asking yourself if you enjoy the extra light or not. I personally dislike unshaded panoroofs and moonroofs. And second question you should be asking yourself are you planning to haul anything on the roof? You will get slightly more noise. You will have a hotter car when the sun is beaming down. They are beautiful and add to the aesthetics to vehicle. Have your pick.
Old 12-11-18, 10:35 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TeKKieNYC
The question you should be asking yourself if you enjoy the extra light or not. I personally dislike unshaded panoroofs and moonroofs. And second question you should be asking yourself are you planning to haul anything on the roof? You will get slightly more noise. You will have a hotter car when the sun is beaming down. They are beautiful and add to the aesthetics to vehicle. Have your pick.
I had my pano tinted extra dark and I can't tell whether the shade is opened or closed however I like the open feeling when the shade is back, I haven't closed the shade since. The car gets hot whether the shade is open or closed, with a tinted pano that is. If you think there's a difference, close the shade.
The OP never said why he wanted a pano in the first place, he only asked about noice. I can't tell if there's a noise difference, I think not but it's hard to tell over the drone.
Old 12-11-18, 07:41 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I was also concerned about potential additional noise from the panoramic roof when I got my 2017 RX 450h. After driving it for 17 months, I've NEVER noticed any noise from the panoramic roof. Mine seems very well-made, and I enjoy the feeling of openness that it provides. Enjoy your new RX!
Old 12-12-18, 07:57 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

Thank you all for your honest replies. Maybe I should test drive both and see if I like it. Though, I would not like the extra heat build up in the cabin. Again, thanks.
Old 12-12-18, 02:59 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

There is at least one thread on this forum that addresses catastrophic failures of the panoramic moonroof. I was unable to find a pre-owned RX with all of the options I wanted while omitting the panoramic moonroof. So I have had one for the last eight months without any negative issues. Still wish I had one without it but so far it hasn't been a problem. I might limo-tint it in the future just to cut down on heat-transfer from direct sunlight.
Old 12-12-18, 08:19 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

i really like the pano roof, but part of me wishes i would have bought non- pano, so i could install the OEM roof racks.
Old 12-13-18, 03:42 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
i really like the pano roof, but part of me wishes i would have bought non- pano, so i could install the OEM roof racks.
there are pano roof rack options available, not OE but aftermarket
Old 12-13-18, 09:22 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JSracer
there are pano roof rack options available, not OE but aftermarket
Thule has at least two options:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...h-nx-rack.html

I think there is another thread with pictures of it installed - i recalled that the OP warned NOT to open the pano-roof all the way as it will contact the crossbars or the load on top.

i personally have the thule aeroblade bars and prefer them over the OEM bars - (i dont have a panoramic roof)

I was lucky and able to piece together the set up for pretty cheap - i got the bars and fitkit off amazon when they were on sale. and got the towers off ebay pretty cheap.

Last edited by chunktwo; 12-13-18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 06:37 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts

I have a pano roof in my 2016 450h. No noticeable noise difference. I’d highly recommend it. Makes the cabin feel much more roomy.
Old 12-14-18, 07:19 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the pano roof on my '16 RX and wish I didn't. Here in Arizona it adds to the heat inside even with the shade closed. I keep the shade closed about 90% of the time so for me the pano roof was a waste. If I still lived in the Seattle area, my answer would likely be much different.
ginab (12-04-21)

Quick Reply: Panoramic roof questions