RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX and theft

Old 11-23-18, 03:52 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by a1rh3adsz
What Lexus needs to do is stop letting the car run and drive forever until you shut the car off if the key is not detected.... I dont care how good the thief transmitter is cause its not going to pick up the receiving end of your key if its like 1mile away. Some car manufacturers have put a safety feature to have the car shut off when you put it in park and will not let you start the car unless the key is detected and some will cut off the power if you put it in drive from park mode if key is not detected and i know audi have something like if the key is not detected you can drive only up to 15mph anything over the engine will kill itself.
I wouldn't appreciate that feature if my fob battery died an hour down the road. I leave my key in a metal bowl far from the front door.
Old 11-23-18, 04:07 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I'll spend $2 on a new battery every year before I bother with this every time I park the car.
I don't do it every time i shut the car off, i do it, if im on motorcycle trip and the car will sit for days at a hotel/motel. the other time is since i always have 2 fobs on trips, it disabled the one not being used.
not sure how you got the idea to do it every time the car is shut off.
Old 11-23-18, 12:43 PM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Usual
I wouldn't appreciate that feature if my fob battery died an hour down the road. I leave my key in a metal bowl far from the front door.
A battery last a couple of years, Just change it out every year or so like any other maintenance on the car and batteries are cheap anyways.
If your key is low on battery it would warn you on the dash ahead of time. It would not just die, it would take at least a day or more before it complete dies, by then you should have gotten a replacement battery.
I hear stories all the time when people share the car and one leaves with the key fob and the other is too stupid or careless to to even notice the pop up on the dash, to all then have to either drive back or have the other person bring back the key,,,,,
The following users liked this post:
anniew555 (09-22-23)
Old 11-23-18, 01:14 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Buy an RF shield pouch ...

If you park your RX outside get an RF shield pouch like one shown here ... I got one and it blocks RF 100% when remote is stored inside the pouch. Search on ebay ... plenty available.
Old 11-23-18, 03:04 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Or wrap it in tin foil.
Old 12-09-18, 08:34 AM
hothummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 has SERIOUS security flaw

My 2018 RX350 F Sport 2 was recently stolen and at least in Canada, there are daily reports of RX350s being stolen and shipped overseas. Apparently they are boosting the signal from the fob and opening the doors and then driving away all in less than 15 seconds .

This is also a problem with the Toyota Highlander. Of course Lexus denies any issues and why would they??? They get to keep selling more cars while owners get screwed.

Sadly, they found my vehicle but who knows the condition. Now I get to spend the next 3.5 years of my lease wondering if/when it wilw get stolen again and having to store the fobs in metal boxes.

Be forewarned. This is a HUGE problem for Lexus and shame on them for ignoring it. NEVER EVER WILL I PURCHASE A LEXUS AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I CAN ABOUT THEIR REFUSAL TO CORRECT THIS ISSUE .
Old 12-09-18, 09:18 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

there is a thread about this already. it happens to all keyless cars, not just lexus. this is why we need fingerprint scanners to start the cars.
milk659 (12-15-18)
Old 12-09-18, 10:15 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hothummer
My 2018 RX350 F Sport 2 was recently stolen and at least in Canada, there are daily reports of RX350s being stolen and shipped overseas. Apparently they are boosting the signal from the fob and opening the doors and then driving away all in less than 15 seconds .

This is also a problem with the Toyota Highlander. Of course Lexus denies any issues and why would they??? They get to keep selling more cars while owners get screwed.

Sadly, they found my vehicle but who knows the condition. Now I get to spend the next 3.5 years of my lease wondering if/when it wilw get stolen again and having to store the fobs in metal boxes.

Be forewarned. This is a HUGE problem for Lexus and shame on them for ignoring it. NEVER EVER WILL I PURCHASE A LEXUS AND WILL TELL EVERYONE I CAN ABOUT THEIR REFUSAL TO CORRECT THIS ISSUE .
You will get the same issue with ALL other brands, not just Lexus. This is a known industry-wide issue with the current implementation of the keyless system . It affects ALL manufacturers. Most of them just keep silent on the issue because they don't have other keyless system yet.

Fix: when you're at home, drop your key to a pretty decorated tin/metal box. This will block the signal from the key.

Last edited by qvtruong; 12-09-18 at 01:53 PM.
milk659 (12-15-18)
Old 12-09-18, 07:09 PM
Rarebird
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong

You will get the same issue with ALL other brands, not just Lexus. This is a known industry-wide issue with the current implementation of the keyless system . It affects ALL manufacturers. Most of them just keep silent on the issue because they don't have other keyless system yet.

Fix: when you're at home, drop your key to a pretty decorated tin/metal box. This will block the signal from the key.
good tip! Will look for one online.
Old 12-10-18, 11:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,327 Likes on 1,682 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Card-...72.m2749.l2649
Old 12-10-18, 03:57 PM
RCjets
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
there is a thread about this already. it happens to all keyless cars, not just lexus. this is why we need fingerprint scanners to start the cars.
There are already several methods to duplicate fingerprints to fool scanners. No matter what the method of security someone will eventually find a way around it.
Old 12-10-18, 04:13 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

You can turn the FOB off to avoid this inconvenience.

Last edited by wktjr; 12-10-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 05:37 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by wktjr
You can turn the FOB off to avoid this inconvenience.

Thanks for this, but I have a question: if I use this procedure to turn off one of my fobs, can I then use the other fob as usual, or by disabling one fob disables both?
Old 12-10-18, 05:43 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Going to go out on a limb and say each FOB is individually controlled.
Old 12-10-18, 08:39 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

This just powers down one FOB where you executed the sequence. Not the radio in the car, nor any other FOB.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4RX and theft