RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Tire & Wheel Protection - $1,595...?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-18, 03:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Statistically, numbers on the internet lacking proper citation are 93% fraudulent, or 13% true.
Factually, I obtained those metrics elsewhere. But you can still purchase an extended warranty. The dealers will love you.
Old 11-20-18, 03:48 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

If a dealer is selling it it's an expensive option.....that's where they get their cream.
Old 11-21-18, 06:20 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts

I got the rim protection I don't remember paying that much for it.
Old 11-22-18, 04:31 AM
tron1975x
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said no to both the extended warranty and the tire/wheel protection. I love how they show you that if you add it to your loan, the monthly amount only goes up a little bit. Nope, no thanks. My wife afterwards said that if I wasn't there she would have gone for them, only because he was so convincing as to why we should buy them. I smiled, I listened to his spiel, and then said no.

Last edited by tron1975x; 11-22-18 at 04:32 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-22-18, 08:10 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by tron1975x
I said no to both the extended warranty and the tire/wheel protection. I love how they show you that if you add it to your loan, the monthly amount only goes up a little bit. Nope, no thanks. My wife afterwards said that if I wasn't there she would have gone for them, only because he was so convincing as to why we should buy them. I smiled, I listened to his spiel, and then said no.
Lol, I went thru the same thing when I got mine.....listened, smiled, said no thankew!
Old 11-23-18, 03:12 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Lexus pushes these because people will buy them. If you have the money, never worked on cars and don't care, your their prime target. Me, I grew up middle class, learned cars from my father and have decades of on the job training. Now, I've reached a point in my life where I can afford to pamper myself and my wife with nice vehicles. However, that blue collar kid in me looks at these "products" and says thanks but no thanks. I'm not the demographic they want.
Old 11-30-18, 06:56 AM
NeedhamGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire and Wheel Protection

Most insurance policies cover glass without a deductible and the ding protection is more about keeping the car looking good and being charged when turning in a lease.

We have had the tire and wheel protection the last three vehicles a 2016 Lexus GX, an Escalade and a Toyota Minivan. We're way ahead given the blowouts and rim damage. We've had two rims outright replaced, and some rashes cleaned up and three tires replaced.

I think it depends on the types of driving and where you live. If I was out west or the south doing lots of highway driving, I would pass.

In New England the roads are really bad and if you're doing lots of driving around town, you will be hitting potholes every day. Also, if you have younger drivers figure they will be more likely to hit a curb pretty hard. Parking lots are usually really bad.

My guess would be if you're looking at three years of winters in a harsh place, have nice rims and can get Tire and Wheel for less than $1,000 go for it. One tire and one rim and you're ahead.

If you're out west or the south where he roads are pretty good, it is probably a losing bet

Old 11-30-18, 02:06 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

In 40 years of driving, I've never bent a rim or ruined a tire due to a pothole or road damage. So, I'm ahead of the curve.
Old 11-30-18, 04:04 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by wktjr
In 40 years of driving, I've never bent a rim or ruined a tire due to a pothole or road damage. So, I'm ahead of the curve.
Same here, 38 years, 3 million kms, nothing - must be rough going in some places.
Old 12-01-18, 01:11 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
Same here, 38 years, 3 million kms, nothing - must be rough going in some places.
Im with you both and I drive into NYC often, potholes galore, Ive hit some monster ones and never even blew a tire let alone trash a rim.
Old 12-01-18, 06:44 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

In two years, I have had repaired under Tire and wheel:
  • Four windshield rock chips. In Texas with all the construction and trucks spewing junk out of their truck beds, I do not know of a driver that has not had his windshield damaged. And note that I do not tailgate other cars. Just other car tires pick up stuff and fling it to my windshield.
  • A wheel rim scratched against the curve. This was unavoidable since I avoided hitting a truck that forgot they have an extended cab and extra large bed when changing into my lane.
  • One puctured tire on side wall after 1000 miles into the car. The tire was replaced since it could not be repaired.
  • Four dents on the door sides made by trucks in parking lots.
I paid $1000, so I am about half into what I paid in repairs. So probably not worth paying much for it, but nice to know if something happens it is covered.

Other places with nice roads, little construction, and lower speed limits, might have less hazards.
Old 12-02-18, 12:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Tirecand wheel covers windshield??
Old 12-02-18, 02:34 PM
cezar9
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tron1975x
Hi all, I purchased a 2019 RX 350 yesterday and was asked about buying the IBEX protection (straight-out no), but I paused at the tire and wheel protection. They're offering the Platinum Plus (includes ding/windshield repair) package at $1,595, but the finance manager said there is some negotiation available with it. Two questions:

1. IF I wanted it, what would be a good price to offer for it? $1,300 perhaps?
2. What are your thoughts? Did you purchase and use it, or how about not purchase it and later regret it?

I'm on the fence with it and I know everyone's experience will vary, but the booklet is staring me in the face and I'm wavering back and forth. Thanks!
i was offered the tire&wheel package for about 800 bucks but I passed. Was also offered the excess wear package for 800 and declined. Told the dealer that I could see some value around 500 bucks. The dealer found some “coupon” that allowed them to lower the price to about 18 bucks per month extra on my lease. I ended up getting it because I’m switching from a sedan to a bigger SUV and the garage where I park during the day is pretty tight. However I’m having some second thoughts and I might end up canceling it. Looks like I have 30 days to cancel from the day of purchase.
Old 12-02-18, 02:53 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Insurance should be bought only for things you can't afford to pay as a lump sum/self insure if there is a loss. So the only ones that typically make sense are personal liability, homeowners, term life, and health, and possibly collision on a new car.
Buying insurance for small ticket items such as wheels and tires and dings is a fool's game. It's like gambling on cards or craps, you always lose in the long run since the house (Lexus) gets it's cut or it changes the game.
Old 12-02-18, 04:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexmus
Insurance should be bought only for things you can't afford to pay as a lump sum/self insure if there is a loss. So the only ones that typically make sense are personal liability, homeowners, term life, and health, and possibly collision on a new car.
Buying insurance for small ticket items such as wheels and tires and dings is a fool's game. It's like gambling on cards or craps, you always lose in the long run since the house (Lexus) gets it's cut or it changes the game.
That sums it up in a nutshell.

Quick Reply: Tire & Wheel Protection - $1,595...?