RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

ICS Reprogram Service Campaign (certain 2017-2018 RXs)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 09:50 PM
jyz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ICS Malfunction error message

Hi everyone!

I bought my RX350 2017 last month. However, there are some problems coming up already. Firstly, I was out of town last week so I did not drive the car for a whole week. The first time I drove it after I came back, three messages "ICS Malfunction, Check Engine and AWD System Malfunction 2WD Mode Engaged" popped up and told me to "visit your dealer." Secondly, the mileage is only around 600, but I have already fueled up three times. This means that a full tank of gas only lasts for 200ish miles.

Could anyone please give me some advice? I feel that something abnormal happens with my car. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-05-17, 01:43 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Take it to the dealer!
Old 04-05-17, 05:23 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with ggebhart, take it to the dealer as soon as you can so they can check it out.. Obviously something is not right.

Welcome to CL...
Old 06-30-17, 09:12 PM
salinsarin
Driver School Candidate

and..here is my story:

Bought the car RX350 2017 last week. just 450 km on it. gas tank almost empty. got fuel filled and in 10 mins after leaving the gas station. I see multiple warnings coming up on screen.

Check Engine
AWD malfunction switching to 2WD
ICS malfunction
Battery charge system failed.

OMG.. I was soo happy with the new car. its flawless in driving and a pleasure to have. today got the shock and it's a long weekend. Dealer service department is closed.

somehow managed to talk to the service technician and he says " did you refueled the car? You must have left the cap open" I checked and it was closed. he said it because of this and you don't need to worry after 3-4 cycles of gas refueling it will go..

I don't buy this at all.

how can gas filling cause so much havoc... I did not do anything out of the world. the car needs gas and we all refuel the cars.

adaptive cruise control is NOT working.
car making more than normal driving sound. maybe cause it's on 2 wd.

I never expected this from LEXUS. Really bad and disgusting. I had plans for a long drive on this weekend. stuck with no choice now. ;(

anyone has any idea I can do something on my own before the dealer opens next week.???

thanks.
Old 06-30-17, 10:53 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Compare s/n with OP. Maybe bad batch of RX from production line if numbers are close each other?
Old 06-30-17, 10:58 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by salinsarin
and..here is my story:

Bought the car RX350 2017 last week. just 450 km on it. gas tank almost empty. got fuel filled and in 10 mins after leaving the gas station. I see multiple warnings coming up on screen.

Check Engine
AWD malfunction switching to 2WD
ICS malfunction
Battery charge system failed.

OMG.. I was soo happy with the new car. its flawless in driving and a pleasure to have. today got the shock and it's a long weekend. Dealer service department is closed.

somehow managed to talk to the service technician and he says " did you refueled the car? You must have left the cap open" I checked and it was closed. he said it because of this and you don't need to worry after 3-4 cycles of gas refueling it will go..

I don't buy this at all.

how can gas filling cause so much havoc... I did not do anything out of the world. the car needs gas and we all refuel the cars.

adaptive cruise control is NOT working.
car making more than normal driving sound. maybe cause it's on 2 wd.

I never expected this from LEXUS. Really bad and disgusting. I had plans for a long drive on this weekend. stuck with no choice now. ;(

anyone has any idea I can do something on my own before the dealer opens next week.???

thanks.
If you really think there really isn't a significant issue, you can disconnect your battery for a few minutes to reset everything. Not sure what the problem really is, so attempt at your own risk.
Old 07-01-17, 08:09 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I don't know what is wrong with your car, but as a reminder never try to over fill a gas tank. I am not saying you did this, but who knows if some gas got in the vapor recovery system. I have put too much gas in my RX and not had any problems, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. This could cause all sorts of alarms and warnings.

As for the 450 kms, that would be about right if mostly city driving, stop and go, etc. If that is the first fill that was done by the dealer, they only go till the first "clunk" They don't fill it like most people would.

I would suspect that all warnings are related to one issue.

Too bad it's a long weekend, cause I feel your frustration having to wait. I would be in the same position.

Relax, enjoy Canada Day and take her in on Tuesday.

I am not sure if I would reset the battery as it might mask the problem for the dealer to isolate.
Old 07-01-17, 08:35 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jyz
Hi everyone!

I bought my RX350 2017 last month. However, there are some problems coming up already. Firstly, I was out of town last week so I did not drive the car for a whole week. The first time I drove it after I came back, three messages "ICS Malfunction, Check Engine and AWD System Malfunction 2WD Mode Engaged" popped up and told me to "visit your dealer." Secondly, the mileage is only around 600, but I have already fueled up three times. This means that a full tank of gas only lasts for 200ish miles.

Could anyone please give me some advice? I feel that something abnormal happens with my car. Thanks in advance!
Fast Ford gave you good advice. Even with Lexus sometimes things do go wrong and you'll probably find that it was something minor that caused the problem. I feel for you, but the true mettle of your dealer will be in what they'll do to help you. My bet is that they'll go out of their way to keep you happy.
Let us know how it plays out.
Old 07-02-17, 01:28 AM
ranyw
Driver School Candidate

If the gas cap on is not seated correctly, it may cause pressurization issues which can cause the "check engine" to be displayed. Toyotas / Lexus will disable some system's to not put a strain on the engine if the check engine is illuminated. Of course a dealer can plug into the OBD and find out.
Old 07-02-17, 04:19 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
... but the true mettle of your dealer will be in what they'll do to help you. My bet is that they'll go out of their way to keep you happy.
Let us know how it plays out.
To me, this is very important. Things happen everywhere these days, but what does the organization do to make it right.
Old 07-02-17, 05:44 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by FastFord
To me, this is very important. Things happen everywhere these days, but what does the organization do to make it right.
+10
Old 07-12-17, 08:07 PM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I got the same 3 messages (ICS Malfunction, Check Engine, AWD System Malfunction 2WD Mode Engaged) when I ran out of gas last night. It was an honest mistake/learning experience that will hopefully never happen again. Long story short, I overestimated the reserve tank after sitting in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic...
I told my sales guy what happened, and he got in touch with his tech guys this morning. He instructed me to take the car to the dealership and have them reset my system with a code. Apparently, when the car is about to run out of gas, the system automatically disables certain things, such as ICS and AWD. Thing is, after a short trip this morning and 1 engine restart, the messages disappeared on its own. The car's computer did its own reset after that restart. and saved me a trip to the dealership. Everything is back to normal. Phew!
Old 07-12-17, 11:20 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Running a vehcle until gas runs out is bad practice. We don't know at bottom of tank is gasoline or water. I live in cold climate, we always fill tank when it has only quarter tankful left. If one stalls
car out of gas, it can become a matter of life and dead in minus 30 weather with snow coming down. When car is in limp mode it can go back to normal when the cause is remedied itself.
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (07-13-17)
Old 07-13-17, 11:24 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
...I live in cold climate, we always fill tank when it has only quarter tankful left...
LOL, I just had the exact same thought when I read the post about running out of gas, I got into the habit to refill when it hits 1/4 tank level a long time ago, maybe it's a Canadian thing...
I live just outside Toronto, the winter traffic here is very unpredictable, there has been several occasions where it took me 2-3 hours to get home from work due to snow storm & traffic (good weather, light traffic only takes 20 min).
You don't want to run out of gas in the middle of a snow storm with -20C outside. I think it's a good habit to have, safe for the driver and good for the car.
Old 07-13-17, 11:31 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by MisterQ
LOL, I just had the exact same thought when I read the post about running out of gas, I got into the habit to refill when it hits 1/4 tank level a long time ago, maybe it's a Canadian thing...
I live just outside Toronto, the winter traffic here is very unpredictable, there has been several occasions where it took me 2-3 hours to get home from work due to snow storm & traffic (good weather, light traffic only takes 20 min).
You don't want to run out of gas in the middle of a snow storm with -20C outside. I think it's a good habit to have, safe for the driver and good for the car.
I fill up when it's down to approx 1/2 not so much for fear of running out, but to reduce the amount of condensation (water) in the tank, especially in the winter as this "water" may freeze. Also the fuller the tank the lower the temp of the fuel for which the pump is grateful

Quick Reply: ICS Reprogram Service Campaign (certain 2017-2018 RXs)