RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

ICS Reprogram Service Campaign (certain 2017-2018 RXs)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-19, 11:04 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I got a letter from Lexus that my car needs to be brought to reprogram the ICS due to a recall. I'm taking it in on Saturday. I'll update if I learn anything new.
Old 01-06-19, 05:26 AM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
No cars are bullet proof. My boss just took delivery of a Benz AMG GL something - the big one. 300 miles on the OD and on comes the CEL. I avoided him the rest of that day😁 Two days later and car is fine after a faulty sensor was replaced.
Exactly! I’ve driven all kinds of cars from many different manufactures and I’ve spent a lot of time on forums like this one and can say all cars are complex machines designed and manufactured by people....if perfection is the expectation then most will be disappointed. On average Lexus is one of the best but that does not mean they don’t have their fair share of defects.
Old 01-06-19, 07:09 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Exactly! I’ve driven all kinds of cars from many different manufactures and I’ve spent a lot of time on forums like this one and can say all cars are complex machines designed and manufactured by people....if perfection is the expectation then most will be disappointed. On average Lexus is one of the best but that does not mean they don’t have their fair share of defects.
I think all this "connectivity is insane! I don't mind technology where it can make the car function better, but I & others DO NOT need all this connectivity crap which is the problems in all our cars today.
Do I really need to receive tex msgs while driving? or be able to hook-up a dialysis machine to the car? (joking of course) All this technology is manufactured by 3rd parties and are the Achilles' heel of the vehicle. Alas one cannot purchase a car any car without this pervasive technocrap. This technology is driving us toward non ownerships but toward leasing as the value of the modern car after 5 years drops like a stone due to the life expectancy of electronics.
Old 01-06-19, 12:22 PM
PWMDMD
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I think all this "connectivity is insane! I don't mind technology where it can make the car function better, but I & others DO NOT need all this connectivity crap which is the problems in all our cars today.
Do I really need to receive tex msgs while driving? or be able to hook-up a dialysis machine to the car? (joking of course) All this technology is manufactured by 3rd parties and are the Achilles' heel of the vehicle. Alas one cannot purchase a car any car without this pervasive technocrap. This technology is driving us toward non ownerships but toward leasing as the value of the modern car after 5 years drops like a stone due to the life expectancy of electronics.
I agree and yet infotainment still seems like an outsourced afterthought even though it is usually the source of most initial car “problems”. Seems everyone has been in competition to reinvent the wheel and the result has been really crappy electronics.

Some of Toyota’s most reliable models are their older models - Tundra and 4Runner - I think in part because they have simpler electronics, engines (No DI), transmissions (5 and 6 gears), etc. There has been so much unnecessary complexity added in the past three years across the industry.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (01-11-19)
Old 01-10-19, 03:49 PM
Carlaw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 RX 350 ICS Malfunction/Sonar Malfunction

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have driven a few Lexus’s and have never had a problem until my new 2018 RX350. The first thing that happened was there was a whining noise under my drivers side front tire, which apparently needed lubrication and is now fixed. They tinted my windows and I have had a rattle in my drivers side door. I was going to wait until my 1st scheduled service to have that fixed. The car now has 3000 miles on it, and the other day while driving my daughter to school, the engine light started flashing and I got a Sonar Malfunction message on my screen. They towed my new car to the dealer. So I got a call today from the maintenance department telling me that I had put “bad gas” in my car and that I’d be responsible for paying $500 to have the engine flushed out. I called BS and called the supervisor, who agreed I should not have to pay, and that it was a computer glitch not caused by “bad gas”
is this a pretty common problem?
Thank you in advance!
Old 01-11-19, 07:39 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CharmCtyIS
I got a letter from Lexus that my car needs to be brought to reprogram the ICS due to a recall. I'm taking it in on Saturday. I'll update if I learn anything new.

Took my 2017 RX350 to the dealership this past Saturday because of the ICS Malfunction Recall. They reprogrammed it for free. If you're getting ICS error messages it could be the recall issue.
Old 01-11-19, 08:13 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlaw
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have driven a few Lexus’s and have never had a problem until my new 2018 RX350. The first thing that happened was there was a whining noise under my drivers side front tire, which apparently needed lubrication and is now fixed. They tinted my windows and I have had a rattle in my drivers side door. I was going to wait until my 1st scheduled service to have that fixed. The car now has 3000 miles on it, and the other day while driving my daughter to school, the engine light started flashing and I got a Sonar Malfunction message on my screen. They towed my new car to the dealer. So I got a call today from the maintenance department telling me that I had put “bad gas” in my car and that I’d be responsible for paying $500 to have the engine flushed out. I called BS and called the supervisor, who agreed I should not have to pay, and that it was a computer glitch not caused by “bad gas”
is this a pretty common problem?
Thank you in advance!
No it's not "common" but every make has electronic problems, this is why I don't like today's cars! All manufacturers have gone way overboard with it and buyers & manufacturers seem to forget that a car is NOT an entertainment centre, but a conveyance or mode of transportation.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (01-11-19)
Old 01-11-19, 07:42 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

No it's not "common" but every make has electronic problems, this is why I don't like today's cars! All manufacturers have gone way overboard with it and buyers & manufacturers seem to forget that a car is NOT an entertainment centre, but a conveyance or mode of transportation.
A car is “a conveyance or mode of transportation.” This definition has changed in the modern time, because of the development of smart phone and smart home. It is following the phone history. Phone used to be a device for call, then we add text messaging, then music, then all kinds of technology. It is heading to be a replacement of cash and cards. Majority of people countries like the US and China cannot live without a smart phone.

Nowaday, majority of people (especially millennials) look for cars with technologies. In addition, people in big cities such as los angeles, spend a lot of time in traffic. Thus, making people happy and feel comfortable while driving is very important to attract buyers. This is also why cars is heading to autonomous. No one loves to spend 3 hours in stop and go traffic. Manufacturers cannot sell cars without fancy technologies because of consumer demands. I believe my kids’ generation can’t live with all the cars we have today. At the current spending to R&D, all cars will be operated by AI and autonomous. I predict at that time the law will also require cars must have certain autonomous features, much like ABS and backup camera.

Last edited by qvtruong; 01-11-19 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 08:11 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Not only infortainment system, today's car is more electronics than mechanical. Mechanics without good electronics knowledge are becoming passe unless they train themselves to tackle with new technologies.
One reason I buy couple year old cars lately is most gremlins are taken care of by then. Without electronics, there's nothing much we can do these days. Space ships, planes, ships, domestic appliiances, military gears,etc., etc. Wish all cars should contain mil-spec. electronics components. I was trained on vacuum tubes, and with the advancement of electronics technology; vacuum tubes > transistor > Integrated chips, small to large scale > Nano tech I followed the path in my career. At least I am not shy on any electronics gadgets on cars. On top of hardware side, add software, firmware and now AI is coming along.... B4 even first gen. stuff becomes near perfect next generation follows and so on. We'll have to live with some bugs every where always.
Old 01-14-19, 08:36 AM
DMVRX350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Note to self......next time, bring it in on "E"!
Completed the reprogramming over the weekend. They did gas it... Go figure haha
Old 01-14-19, 09:05 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Completed and filled the tank also.
Old 02-04-19, 11:39 PM
ibluestorm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CharmCtyIS
Took my 2017 RX350 to the dealership this past Saturday because of the ICS Malfunction Recall. They reprogrammed it for free. If you're getting ICS error messages it could be the recall issue.
We recieved the same letter for our 2018 RX but this is NOT a recall, this letter specifically stated that the dealership needed to reprogram the ICS for car wash tunnels and facilities since the ICS picks up the brushes as obstacles which activates the brakes while in neutral.
Old 02-04-19, 11:43 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

I have more annoying issues after the update. It gets more sensitive. Additionally, the ICS gets crazy after a heavy rain (just a drop of water stick on the sensor on the bumper). It keeps beeping and saying ICS not available, please clean the sensor. Totally hate it. How the hell do I clean it while driving?

My suggestion: if nothing is wrong with yours, don't update.
Old 02-05-19, 06:32 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Had mine updated and no issues or changes at all, never have gotten any clean sensor warnings,
Old 02-05-19, 02:39 PM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Did it today. Not only did they not fill the gas (never did), they also refused to change the engine mount (for the infamous vibrating problem) for me.

Quick Reply: ICS Reprogram Service Campaign (certain 2017-2018 RXs)