RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Why no CarPlay in the 2019 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-19, 06:45 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't Blackberry QNX have their own Carplay App they could utilize?
Old 06-17-19, 08:52 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

I spoke with a Lexus Customer Service Rep in that Department about a Carplay update for Enform 1.0, she stated "It has not been announced yet"
Which makes me wonder if it actually is in the works
Old 06-17-19, 08:55 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by eldragun
I spoke with a Lexus Customer Service Rep in that Department about a Carplay update for Enform 1.0, she stated "It has not been announced yet"
Which makes me wonder if it actually is in the works
don't hold your breath...
Old 06-17-19, 09:25 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

I understand its a different operating system then the Enform 2.0 , But how hard could it be to add a projection APP????? I mean seriously
Old 07-11-19, 06:27 PM
matt15
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX CarPlay

Lexus RX has Gen9, and will get Gen10 only 2020. CarPlay is only supported from Gen10

I have requested the following features with Lexus, request others to provide the same feedback so they may consider as one of them is at least not expensive

1. Retrofit CarPlay with Gen9 systems. Touchscreen is not required
2. Add Google sendtocar feature to Lexus navigation - https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar . This feature will help to send google maps address to Car Navigation, so you don't have to type. NaviBridge provides similar feature, but their search engine is not good.
Old 08-11-19, 08:45 AM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We just bought our 2019 RX350 F-Sport loaded as can be with Navigation, Mark Levinson audio, etc last week and although I enjoy the vehicle very much. I find myself really wanting Apple CarPlay. I’ve used it before in vehicles and find it to be very basic & easy to use for vehicle maps and music.

Other than the members here that have shown products claiming to be Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, has anyone else installed one? I feel like the ones posting those maybe have something to do with promoting the product and maybe have alternative motives.

From the the two I’ve seen (Beats Sonic & Grom V-Line, not sure if there are more), they seem pretty decent options and I’m considering one. Are there any more I should consider?

Any little quicks about any of those setups I should be aware of? For instance when watching the video on the Grom product the music seemed to have some weird cut in and out at changes in apps or processes. Which is something I’d probably be annoyed at over time plus it need to be wife friendly.

Comments?
Old 08-11-19, 08:54 AM
scnc96
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whiteghost
We just bought our 2019 RX350 F-Sport loaded as can be with Navigation, Mark Levinson audio, etc last week and although I enjoy the vehicle very much. I find myself really wanting Apple CarPlay. I’ve used it before in vehicles and find it to be very basic & easy to use for vehicle maps and music.

Other than the members here that have shown products claiming to be Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, has anyone else installed one? I feel like the ones posting those maybe have something to do with promoting the product and maybe have alternative motives.

From the the two I’ve seen (Beats Sonic & Grom V-Line, not sure if there are more), they seem pretty decent options and I’m considering one. Are there any more I should consider?

Any little quicks about any of those setups I should be aware of? For instance when watching the video on the Grom product the music seemed to have some weird cut in and out at changes in apps or processes. Which is something I’d probably be annoyed at over time plus it need to be wife friendly.

Comments?
I have researching what device to use since I obtained my 2019 RX450h in April. It is not an F-sport, but has every other option including Mark Levinson and HUD. I actually ordered a Grom V-Line 2, but then sent it back, as it was a full fledged Android head unit, and while you could add the CarPlay dongle, this was more than I needed, although it did seem like a great device. I am now working with an independent person who basically has a CarPlay “injector” that runs on the Aux port and should be about half the cost of the V-Line. I can post here when I have more information. As of last week, they were waiting on the “B” interconnect cables that would work in 2019 models with Mark Levinson. He should be contacting me this week. I am going to order when he does so. I think this will be the best option for me if it actually works, as I don’t want anything from the Android side- only CarPlay.
The following 2 users liked this post by scnc96:
rxtimes2 (08-12-19), whiteghost (08-11-19)
Old 08-11-19, 10:04 AM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Good information. I feel the same way I don’t need Android.

Keep us updated on what is is going on as I’m VERY interested in this.
The following users liked this post:
rydblue (12-14-19)
Old 08-11-19, 11:51 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by scnc96
I think this will be the best option for me if it actually works, as I don’t want anything from the Android side- only CarPlay.
Just the opposite here as my wife are only interested in Android Auto, especially with the recent Android Auto betterments. We have both systems in our household, but refer Android.
Old 09-04-19, 03:51 AM
therist
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by scnc96
I have researching what device to use since I obtained my 2019 RX450h in April. It is not an F-sport, but has every other option including Mark Levinson and HUD. I actually ordered a Grom V-Line 2, but then sent it back, as it was a full fledged Android head unit, and while you could add the CarPlay dongle, this was more than I needed, although it did seem like a great device. I am now working with an independent person who basically has a CarPlay “injector” that runs on the Aux port and should be about half the cost of the V-Line. I can post here when I have more information. As of last week, they were waiting on the “B” interconnect cables that would work in 2019 models with Mark Levinson. He should be contacting me this week. I am going to order when he does so. I think this will be the best option for me if it actually works, as I don’t want anything from the Android side- only CarPlay.
I was very pissed off to find out that an update of the maps to their 2019 version costs 300 eur, which is about the price of the most sophisticated Garmin device, with lifetime maps update. Pissed off to the extend to never again go to Toyota and Lexus when I need another new car. I would be relieved if I could upgrade to Google Android Auto and use Google Maps instead, because Toyota's maps for the Balkans are desperate. If anything comes up please post here. I would try any method that does not involve disassembly of the interior. If nothing comes up in the next couple of months I'll have to find some more invasive methods to get some decent maps in the car.

I still scratch my head after many days of discovering their price, why would Toyota **** me off like this. I bought two RX450h in 2018, and I was well on my way to be their customer for the larger family and buy all our cars from them. This is a BIG deal breaker for me.
Old 09-04-19, 04:42 AM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by therist
I was very pissed off to find out that an update of the maps to their 2019 version costs 300 eur, which is about the price of the most sophisticated Garmin device, with lifetime maps update. Pissed off to the extend to never again go to Toyota and Lexus when I need another new car. I would be relieved if I could upgrade to Google Android Auto and use Google Maps instead, because Toyota's maps for the Balkans are desperate. If anything comes up please post here. I would try any method that does not involve disassembly of the interior. If nothing comes up in the next couple of months I'll have to find some more invasive methods to get some decent maps in the car.

I still scratch my head after many days of discovering their price, why would Toyota **** me off like this. I bought two RX450h in 2018, and I was well on my way to be their customer for the larger family and buy all our cars from them. This is a BIG deal breaker for me.
Updates of built in sat navs are always expensive. All car brands do the same thing, here in Australia most are around $500 ($330USD). Don't know why you're critical of Toyota/Lexus in particular.
Old 10-04-19, 07:39 PM
RX2020seek
Driver School Candidate

Were there any updates on possible software updates to support CarPlay on late 2019 RX models? I am debating between buying a 2019 and a 2020 and CarPlay is one of my deciding factors.
Old 10-05-19, 01:06 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by RX2020seek
Were there any updates on possible software updates to support CarPlay on late 2019 RX models? I am debating between buying a 2019 and a 2020 and CarPlay is one of my deciding factors.
Nope nothing dont hold your breath on this.

However on the aftermarket you have a ton of options for the RX including wireless car play. However its a 3p device, with either a DIY or audio store to install it.

If you want it out of the box, and nothing else matters then your best bet is the MY20.
Old 12-01-19, 09:26 PM
Andrew827
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus RX 2018 2019 No Apple Car Play

This has been said many times, but As someone that owns a 2004 RX and 2018 RX (bought both new) I would caution anyone looking at. 2018 or 2019 RX to really think twice.

Why? The UI is a complete cluster. Unintuitive, clunky, and in my honest opinion, a complete joke.

Nobody to blame but myself. Knew it was what it was and figured.my wife would get used to it, but it’s just plain bad.

I’m not an Apple fanboy. In fact, if anything I’ve been a Lexus fanboy, but so disgusted with the clunkiness and Lexus clearly admitting it themselves via the change in direction, that it motivated me to caution anyone considering the RX.

The following users liked this post:
xxx350L (12-08-19)
Old 12-08-19, 07:24 AM
wdarea24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by matt15
Lexus RX has Gen9, and will get Gen10 only 2020. CarPlay is only supported from Gen10

I have requested the following features with Lexus, request others to provide the same feedback so they may consider as one of them is at least not expensive

1. Retrofit CarPlay with Gen9 systems. Touchscreen is not required
2. Add Google sendtocar feature to Lexus navigation - https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar . This feature will help to send google maps address to Car Navigation, so you don't have to type. NaviBridge provides similar feature, but their search engine is not good.
which email address did u raise the request?