RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Why no CarPlay in the 2019 RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 08:29 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, with the fact that Enform 1.0 lost nearly all its apps and features, you would think they'd make a point to make it viable again
Old 05-29-19, 08:32 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

You know whats interesting, last year I emailed Lexus and asked them if Carplay was coming to Enform1.0 , and they flat out said NO,
I emailed them again this month and they said

"Thank you for contacting Lexus about your 2016 RX 450h's potential compatibility with Apple CarPlay.

I can certainly relate to you wanting Apple CarPlay in your RX 450h, and you can be sure that Lexus strives to offer products and services that match our customers' diverse driving needs, and we continuously evaluate emerging technologies for use in our vehicles.

At this time, only certain 2018 - 2019 models have Apple CarPlay compatibility.

While we cannot promise that a retro-active update will become available for your model at this time, we do want to assure you that your feedback is very important to us, and will be documented here at the Lexus National Headquarters, where it will remain available for review by the appropriate departments."
Old 05-29-19, 08:36 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by eldragun
You know whats interesting, last year I emailed Lexus and asked them if Carplay was coming to Enform1.0 , and they flat out said NO,
I emailed them again this month and they said

"Thank you for contacting Lexus about your 2016 RX 450h's potential compatibility with Apple CarPlay.

I can certainly relate to you wanting Apple CarPlay in your RX 450h, and you can be sure that Lexus strives to offer products and services that match our customers' diverse driving needs, and we continuously evaluate emerging technologies for use in our vehicles.

At this time, only certain 2018 - 2019 models have Apple CarPlay compatibility.

While we cannot promise that a retro-active update will become available for your model at this time, we do want to assure you that your feedback is very important to us, and will be documented here at the Lexus National Headquarters, where it will remain available for review by the appropriate departments."
well that's certainly a nicer way of saying no.
Old 05-29-19, 08:44 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

I mean seriously, how hard could it be to add a screen mirroring app to this, system
If Mazda car do it all the way back to 2014, i'm sure Lexus can do it
Old 05-29-19, 08:46 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, with the fact that Enform 1.0 lost nearly all its apps and features, you would think they'd make a point to make it viable again
They just can’t because hardwares in the Enform 1.0 system does not support Enform 2.0 (thus Alexa and CarPlay). There is a reason they couldn't update Enform 1.0 to 2.0. They are simply built to handle Enform 1.0, not 2.0.

The fact that Enform 1.0 lost nearly all of its apps and features showing that Lexus is ABANDONING Enform 1.0 and Enform App Suite all together. They now rely features such as Alexa and CarPlay.
Old 05-29-19, 08:55 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

I mean seriously, how hard could it be to add a screen mirroring app to this, system
If Mazda car do it all the way back to 2014, i'm sure Lexus can do it
Just think about how long it took for lexus to introduce CarPlay. It's not about technical issue. It's all about corporate bureaucratic issue.

They won't do anything unless they are losing sales. Now they introduced CarPlay for most of the Enform 2.0 vehicles on the market, so their jobs are done. They don't care about the olddd vehicles anymore.
Old 05-29-19, 08:55 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

Its disturbing they still have Enform 1.0 in a 2019 RX 450H and wont even support it
The following users liked this post:
scnc96 (08-11-19)
Old 05-29-19, 08:57 AM
eldragun
Driver School Candidate

Thats true, they were fighting it for years until they caved because they were literally the last Car company not to support it
Old 05-30-19, 01:37 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Its disturbing they still have Enform 1.0 in a 2019 RX 450H and wont even support it
Disturbing is a good word, but pathetic is more like it.
The following users liked this post:
scnc96 (08-11-19)
Old 05-30-19, 02:25 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Just think about how long it took for lexus to introduce CarPlay. It's not about technical issue. It's all about corporate bureaucratic issue.

They won't do anything unless they are losing sales. Now they introduced CarPlay for most of the Enform 2.0 vehicles on the market, so their jobs are done. They don't care about the olddd vehicles anymore.
CarPlay is being implemented on and retrofitted to Toyota Entune 3.0 and Lexus Enform 2.0 in-dash systems that use the Automotive Grade Linux operating system. Older Toyota Entune and Lexus Enform versions use an operating system from Blackberry QNX.

Expecting the Linux CarPlay app to run on Enform 1.0 would be like expecting Apple Macbook software to run on a Microsoft Windows PC. Expecting Toyota to create a version of CarPlay that runs on an operating system it is jettisoning isn't realistic.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Old 05-30-19, 04:53 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

CarPlay is not large piece of software at all. Implementation by automotive engineers and Apple would take no more than a few weeks to port over. It's also not processor intensive so our Gen 1 is easily obtainable if the desire was there by Lexus.

Originally Posted by Kansas
CarPlay is being implemented on and retrofitted to Toyota Entune 3.0 and Lexus Enform 2.0 in-dash systems that use the Automotive Grade Linux operating system. Older Toyota Entune and Lexus Enform versions use an operating system from Blackberry QNX.

Expecting the Linux CarPlay app to run on Enform 1.0 would be like expecting Apple Macbook software to run on a Microsoft Windows PC. Expecting Toyota to create a version of CarPlay that runs on an operating system it is jettisoning isn't realistic.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Old 05-31-19, 09:24 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I asked my tech department about android, they said amazon alexa is for android, apple car play is for apple. lol
i told them apple can use alexa, they seemed confused, said it works like car play but for android. i said ohh, so android auto is an option in the future, they said alexa is android auto.
good gosh, i said thanks and quickly left. lol was dropping off my rx for a windshield replacement and calibration.
Old 05-31-19, 09:35 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Fyi, 2020 RX is out with Alexa and CarPlay
Old 05-31-19, 10:11 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Fyi, 2020 RX is out with Alexa and CarPlay
and Android Auto.
Old 05-31-19, 10:52 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kansas
and Android Auto.
And a phone holder in the center console, next to the cup holders LOL

Quick Reply: Why no CarPlay in the 2019 RX?