RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 08:36 AM
critten
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Does this require a screen mod in the 12.3 rx350? Or is it just plug and play behind the headunit? I got the beatsonic, but the resolution is just not worth it - So i may try this option
Old 12-17-18, 09:13 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by critten
Interesting. Does this require a screen mod in the 12.3 rx350? Or is it just plug and play behind the headunit? I got the beatsonic, but the resolution is just not worth it - So i may try this option
it doesn’t require any screen mod. It’s just a box with some cables to plug to the connections behind the head unit. You keep all the original features. Just press a button to switch to android interface. The cool thing is it also uses the OEM microphone which is far better than the other methods. You also get to keep the OEM display. The Android interface and carplay/android auto are optimized for the OEM 12.3” display resolution.

Last edited by qvtruong; 12-17-18 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Phd3838 (06-09-21)
Old 12-17-18, 09:22 AM
critten
Rookie

Thanks!! I think I am going to try it out. I really appreciate all your content - really helped.

Originally Posted by qvtruong

it doesn’t require any screen mod. It’s just a box with some cables to plug to the connections behind the head unit. You keep all the original features. Just press a button to switch to android interface. The cool thing is it also uses the OEM microphone which is far better than the other methods. You also get to keep the OEM display. The Android interface and carplay/android auto are optimized for the OEM 12.3” display resolution.

I had a couple videos and pictures on another post about this setup.
Old 12-17-18, 09:42 AM
critten
Rookie

BTW any idea to get the item for less than the 615+ 50shipping they are asking for? Thanks!
Old 12-17-18, 10:12 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

BTW any idea to get the item for less than the 615+ 50shipping they are asking for? Thanks!
ahh Aliexpress no longer has discount for using its mobile app. It used to have that offer (ranging from 10-20% depending on the items). For this item, I got 18% off when using the mobile app, so I paid $504 plus $50 shipping a couple months ago. The seller’s asking price has always been $615.

maybe wait til lunar new year and hope Aliexpress has some discounts?
Old 12-18-18, 07:57 AM
critten
Rookie

Good call. Thanks for the info again!

ahh Aliexpress no longer has discount for using its mobile app. It used to have that offer (ranging from 10-20% depending on the items). For this item, I got 18% off when using the mobile app, so I paid $504 plus $50 shipping a couple months ago. The seller’s asking price has always been $615.

maybe wait til lunar new year and hope Aliexpress has some discounts?
Old 12-19-18, 06:43 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Good call. Thanks for the info again!
The mobile app deal is back. You will get 18% off by buying it with the Aliexpress app (discounted price will show up on the app)

Old 12-22-18, 01:01 AM
Daniel0429
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How about charging your phone? does it keep charge your phone normal or less while mirror it?
Old 12-22-18, 01:26 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Daniel0429
How about charging your phone? does it keep charge your phone normal or less while mirror it?
it does charge my iphone xs max to 100%, but slower than if I use a usb port I would say.

I’m happy when it charged and kept my phone always at 100% on a 5 hours trip.

Last edited by qvtruong; 12-22-18 at 01:30 AM.
Old 12-22-18, 01:33 AM
Daniel0429
Driver School Candidate

I saw someone complain about charging iphone on beat- sonic.Because it charging really slow and have to set lowest brightness if they don't want drain out of juice.
Thank You
Old 12-22-18, 07:48 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Daniel0429
I saw someone complain about charging iphone on beat- sonic.Because it charging really slow and have to set lowest brightness if they don't want drain out of juice.
Thank You

ohh for Carplay, you can lock your iPhone and just use the nav screen.

beat-sonic uses airplay, so your phone needs to be unlocked
Old 12-22-18, 10:01 AM
Daniel0429
Driver School Candidate

ohh for Carplay, you can lock your iPhone and just use the nav screen.

beat-sonic uses airplay, so your phone needs to be unlocked
Awesome , Thank You
Old 01-01-19, 12:12 PM
Gravel350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In spring of 2018 I bought a used 2016 RX350 and on Christmas eve, some idiot ran a stop sign in front of me and I think my car is going to be totaled. Takes a long time for insurance to look at it due to the holidays. Found a low mileage 2017 RX350 F-Sport with all the options we like, but the navigation on the 2016 RX350 is TERRIBLE, especially here in Canada and there was major highway construction where the in-laws live, so even new cars have outdated maps. If I can use Google Maps for navigation on the big screen that would help a lot. Otherwise I may just have to get a loaded 2019 Acura RDX (Canadian packages are different than US).

With this Android box, if not using it (phone not plugged into it), does it affect the Lexus screen operation at all? Home button, Bluetooth, Phone calls, SiriusXM, etc?

How does it know where the voice commands have to go? When you are not using the android box, the regular car commands still work?
Old 01-01-19, 12:47 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gravel350
In spring of 2018 I bought a used 2016 RX350 and on Christmas eve, some idiot ran a stop sign in front of me and I think my car is going to be totaled. Takes a long time for insurance to look at it due to the holidays. Found a low mileage 2017 RX350 F-Sport with all the options we like, but the navigation on the 2016 RX350 is TERRIBLE, especially here in Canada and there was major highway construction where the in-laws live, so even new cars have outdated maps. If I can use Google Maps for navigation on the big screen that would help a lot. Otherwise I may just have to get a loaded 2019 Acura RDX (Canadian packages are different than US).

With this Android box, if not using it (phone not plugged into it), does it affect the Lexus screen operation at all? Home button, Bluetooth, Phone calls, SiriusXM, etc?

How does it know where the voice commands have to go? When you are not using the android box, the regular car commands still work?
Hi, you can use google maps with carplay when your iphone is on iOS 12.

The android box does not affect any of the Lexus original operation at all.

When you're in Lexus interface, all the buttons will work as designed by Lexus (e.g. Home, Maps, Up/Down and Back on the Remote Touch trackpad, the buttons on the steering wheel work as intended by Lexus, as if the android box was not installed).

When you enter the Android box interface, the Android box button command will take over. For buttons on the Remote Touch, Home button will go back to the main android interface, map and up/down button on the remote touch doesn't work, Back button will go back in Android interface. For steering wheel buttons, track up and down still work for music in Carplay. Track up and down is also used for phone pickup and hangup in Android interface. volume buttons still work, Mode button will change the Lexus' audio source, Voice button will activate Lexus' assistant, Phone pickup will open the Lexus phone app (you will be kick out of Android interface if you press Voice or phone pickup button), Phone hangup 1 press does nothing (Phone hangup press for 3 seconds will switch between Lexus and Android interface).

Note that when using the android box, the Siri Eyes Free (press and hold phone pickup button on steering wheel) won't work because the iPhone is not connected to Lexus bluetooth.

There are 2 ways to activate Siri in Carplay. First is pressing and holding on the home button (looks like the home button on iPhone) on the screen using the Remote Touch joystick. Second way is saying Hey Siri (need to enable Hey Siri on iPhone).

If you're not in the Carplay interface, the Lexus voice command still works when you press the Voice command on the steering wheel.

Last edited by qvtruong; 01-02-19 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 04:04 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

do the lexus interface works on this one? like the side screen?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350