ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/902627-aftermarket-carplay-on-2017-rx350.html)

qvtruong 02-02-19 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10428113)
Qvtruong, what is your messenger name so that I can direct message you?

DM you :-)

qvtruong 02-04-19 12:40 AM

Fyi, I contacted the company and they said the box will be updated to Android 8.1 in a couple months

Bearcat 02-04-19 02:09 PM

Got mine installed a couple of days ago with the incredible help of member GVTRUONG. Thank you again. With still a minor hiccup to figure out, I can definitely already say that this is something that really everyone on this forum should install in their vehicle. Heck, besides airplay, you can even watch YouTube videos while you're driving. lol (btw I don't do that)

4wheeler 02-06-19 11:29 AM

Hi all,

Been lurking here all year. I really like the Android Box and the CarPlay option, but I cannot justify the 500$ cost of it.
I was wondering how do I set an Apple TV on it? Is it as simple as buying converters for HDMI to the one Lexus supports and plug it behind? Or do I need to but Beatsonic?
Has anyone here setup an Apple TV ? Though not as convenient as Android Box, it is much cheaper considering the Gen 2 is available online for 50$.

Thank you.

Bearcat 02-06-19 12:31 PM

In all honesty, I think $500 is pretty cheap for the function.

qvtruong 02-07-19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 4wheeler (Post 10431863)
Hi all,

Been lurking here all year. I really like the Android Box and the CarPlay option, but I cannot justify the 500$ cost of it.
I was wondering how do I set an Apple TV on it? Is it as simple as buying converters for HDMI to the one Lexus supports and plug it behind? Or do I need to but Beatsonic?
Has anyone here setup an Apple TV ? Though not as convenient as Android Box, it is much cheaper considering the Gen 2 is available online for 50$.

Thank you.

How much are you going to spend on Beatsonic?

Beatsonic iphone mirroring already costs $400 (from the website). And you can't use OEM microphone, OEM remote touch (and touchpad on the other newer models).

The kit to fit Apple TV to the screen, if it's even available, would cost at least $300 (not including the cost of Apple TV). Again, can't use OEM hardware.

This one does more than just mirroring (it is beatsonic + a bunch of other android stuffs). And you can use the actual carplay, not the ugly mirroring thing. If you follow the manufacturer's instagram/youtube, they actually spent a lot on R&D (and testing on the every car model). They even made one for the new ES when the new model just came out. So I think $500 is really worthy. I would rather spend money on those developers to encourage them (and thank them for developing this on older models while lexus doesn't care about us).

Talking about Lexus, if Lexus allows retrofit, it would cost at least $1,000 in parts and labor

4wheeler 02-08-19 07:21 AM

I see your point.
Thanks. I love the 350, hate the stupid UI on the sexy screen.

Guess I will cough up the 500.

yamaturkey 02-11-19 08:21 AM

Apple Car Play upgrade

I got a 2018 Rx450h FSport. Wondering if it’s possible to upgrade to Apple car play. Anyone know anything about this?

i upgraded my cx5 from Mazda for $500 buck. Wonder if lexus can do the same.

mspearl95 02-11-19 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by yamaturkey (Post 10436729)
I got a 2018 Rx450h FSport. Wondering if it’s possible to upgrade to Apple car play. Anyone know anything about this?

i upgraded my cx5 from Mazda for $500 buck. Wonder if lexus can do the same.

there’s a whole thread about it.

yamaturkey 02-11-19 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by mspearl95 (Post 10436743)

there’s a whole thread about it.

could you post the link? Thanks!

SAMBODY 02-11-19 11:39 AM

WOW, you are such a great helper with a good heart. I just ordered it because I saw all of your replies. Just a quick question, does it work on a 2018 rx350? i was wooried a bit but i think it'll work.

4wheeler 02-11-19 12:08 PM

Hi qvtruong,

Would you be kind enough to answer a few queries:

When you plug in your iphone and play music through car play - does the audio get routed from Bluetooth? I am concerned since there is a considerable audio quality difference between blue tooth and wired.

Can you play music from Lexus (media/sirius/FM) and get map audio alerts in car play?

Does your phone hold up charge when you use Car Play navigation. I am assuming you can lock your phone and car Play takes care of screen display on the car.

Can you cast your iphone on to the screen or are you limited to apps that allow casting (YouTube / Netflix ). Can you play videos from browser and do they occupy the whole screen.

Thanks. in advance. You have been very kind.

qvtruong 02-11-19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by 4wheeler (Post 10437033)
Hi qvtruong,

Would you be kind enough to answer a few queries:

When you plug in your iphone and play music through car play - does the audio get routed from Bluetooth? I am concerned since there is a considerable audio quality difference between blue tooth and wired.

Can you play music from Lexus (media/sirius/FM) and get map audio alerts in car play?

Does your phone hold up charge when you use Car Play navigation. I am assuming you can lock your phone and car Play takes care of screen display on the car.

Can you cast your iphone on to the screen or are you limited to apps that allow casting (YouTube / Netflix ). Can you play videos from browser and do they occupy the whole screen.

Thanks. in advance. You have been very kind.

1. From a member here and the website suggests, if you enter android interface via AUX method (not press and hold hangup button), all the audios will also go through the car speakers. I assume this will have higher quality than bluetooth.

2. I don’t think so, because the audio will need to use either AUX or Bluetooth. You can have nav sound play on a buetooth speaker probably?

3. Yes it does keep charge. It even charges my phone slowly to 100%

4. Yes, you can mirror your phone to the display. There is an app preinstalled to use iPhone’s wireless airplay mirroring. The carplay app’s recent version also introduces wired airplay mirroring if you would like (i.e. instead of opening carplay, it will mirror the phone).

qvtruong 02-11-19 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by SAMBODY (Post 10437004)
WOW, you are such a great helper with a good heart. I just ordered it because I saw all of your replies. Just a quick question, does it work on a 2018 rx350? i was wooried a bit but i think it'll work.

i believe so, since there is no changes between my 2017 and 2018

goto35 02-11-19 04:29 PM

hey so between this and grom...anyone get the Grom V line yet?