Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

 
Old 01-14-19, 05:15 PM
  #76  
melymel96
Lead Lap
 
melymel96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 455
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by qvtruong View Post


yes there is a MirrorLink app to mirror your iOS/Android device, as part of the Android software. I have a couple screenshot below. For iPhone, it uses wireless Airplay






Thank you for the quick response. Do you mind posting a video of screen mirroring say Youtube or Netflix?
melymel96 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 07:04 PM
  #77  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by melymel96 View Post
Thank you for the quick response. Do you mind posting a video of screen mirroring say Youtube or Netflix?
I just tried and for some reason, youtube and netflix donít allow mirroring here. It just show a black screen when the video is playing. However, below are the solutions:

For youtube, there is an actual Youtube app (itís preinstalled, but can be updated from Google Play Store). I have a couple screenshot attached.

For netflix, the current netflix app in google play store doesnít support android 6.0.1 that this box has. Please follow Netflix instruction and download the previous version of the app here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/12983









qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 08:45 AM
  #78  
melymel96
Lead Lap
 
melymel96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 455
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Interesting, thank you. So bottom line is if its in the Google Play store, it should work although you may run into comatabilty issues and workarounds for the OS installed.
melymel96 is offline  
Old 01-15-19, 09:03 AM
  #79  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by melymel96 View Post
Interesting, thank you. So bottom line is if its in the Google Play store, it should work although you may run into comatabilty issues and workarounds for the OS installed.
Yeah, it works like an android tablet. You can download apps such as amazon prime video and youtube from the Google Play Store. Itís just netflix removed support for older OS so quickly.
qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-17-19, 06:42 PM
  #80  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by melymel96 View Post
Interesting, thank you. So bottom line is if its in the Google Play store, it should work although you may run into comatabilty issues and workarounds for the OS installed.
i installed the old version of netflix app, per netflix instruction. Here is the short video of netflix playing:




qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-17-19, 08:12 PM
  #81  
lexnewbi
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 257
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by qvtruong View Post


I just tried and for some reason, youtube and netflix donít allow mirroring here. It just show a black screen when the video is playing.
That means the developer of the App invoked HDCP DRM. In other words, the developer invoked High-Bandwith Copy Protection and Digital Rights Management. Basically, the developer of the App does not want someone to hook up an HDMI cable and copy the movie or video they are showing. Only systems that directly connect to a display can show the video.
lexnewbi is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 01:12 PM
  #82  
Bearcat
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 724
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

I finally received it today...It's amazing how many cords are in this kit yet not a single instruction. I also saw there was a speaker. What the heck is this for? QVTRUONG, I wish you would just make a good installation video so we can all go step by step. I would personally give you $100 and then just send it privately to me. I would think others would gladly do this as well.
Bearcat is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 02:02 PM
  #83  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I finally received it today...It's amazing how many cords are in this kit yet not a single instruction. I also saw there was a speaker. What the heck is this for? QVTRUONG, I wish you would just make a good installation video so we can all go step by step. I would personally give you $100 and then just send it privately to me. I would think others would gladly do this as well.
ahh the speaker is for the sound of the android box. However, I did NOT install it. I connected the android boxís bluetooth to the carís bluetooth, so that all the sounds will play on carís speaker (the instruction for this bluetooth connection is attached in the first response. You do this after you finish the installation and go to the menu to change/connect it). I also didnít use the DTV and AV/CAM cables (those that have the RCA connectors).

I uploaded the instruction sheet in response #9 in this post. The seller gave me that when I asked him. I also shared some cable connection instruction and a couple youtube videos on how to disassemble the head unit to reach the cables in response #4. Follow the instruction sheet and find the cables, you will see it. You wonít connect it wrong because each cable has different size.

If youíre not sure, probably itís best to bring it to a car audio installation and show them the instruction sheets, the parts, and probably the videos. They will do it for $100. With their experience, they will figure it out right away.

sorry I didnít thought of the installation videos for this since I watched the videos and figured it out myself as well. After I got it works, I was too lazy to take it out to do it again.
qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 02:08 PM
  #84  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I finally received it today...It's amazing how many cords are in this kit yet not a single instruction. I also saw there was a speaker. What the heck is this for? QVTRUONG, I wish you would just make a good installation video so we can all go step by step. I would personally give you $100 and then just send it privately to me. I would think others would gladly do this as well.
i also didnt use the touch cable. So you only has 4 cables (Power cable, USB cable, Screen cable, LVDS cable) and the GPS antenna to work with
qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 02:12 PM
  #85  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I finally received it today...It's amazing how many cords are in this kit yet not a single instruction. I also saw there was a speaker. What the heck is this for? QVTRUONG, I wish you would just make a good installation video so we can all go step by step. I would personally give you $100 and then just send it privately to me. I would think others would gladly do this as well.
please direct message me if you would like me to help with the installation via texting on facebook messenger. itís faster and easier that way.
qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 03:09 PM
  #86  
Bearcat
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 724
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

I think I'm going to give it a shot. Doesn't look that bad when watching that video. I'm guessing that little white thing is the CarPlay dongle. Also, I didn't quite understand the photo where you have the USB coming out down below on the drivers side. It would be nice to be able to bring that cable for the iPhone into the compartment between the seats.
Bearcat is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 03:40 PM
  #87  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I think I'm going to give it a shot. Doesn't look that bad when watching that video. I'm guessing that little white thing is the CarPlay dongle. Also, I didn't quite understand the photo where you have the USB coming out down below on the drivers side. It would be nice to be able to bring that cable for the iPhone into the compartment between the seats.
Yeah the little while thing is the carplay dongle to plug to one of the USB port.

yeah I thought of hiding it in the middle compartment. But then I have to disassemble the middle (cup holder and gear shift etc...). I got lazy after I got the carplay to work, so i just run it on the side of driver seats.
qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-27-19, 06:02 AM
  #88  
Waleedg
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Western
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with the unit

hello guys
tyank you so much for this thread..
Iíve been following you silently for the past month and actually got my box deluvered today...

I have installed it as the videos show exactly... but when I gave it a go to try it and this is what happened:
the screen freezed on the lexus system and didnít show the box interface!!! When I press and hold the call off button again it brings me to full lexus system...

checked the box lights and it has two red leds one of them (the inner) is flashing all the time...

what couldíve possibly went wrong? Any ideas guys??

note: I didnít recieve a microSD card with my unit... should I get one with it or no??


Update:

I found this problem in the company's website in the FAQ section:





Could that be the problem? and I'm sure there is no interface dealer locally... what should I do?? how can I update the system then?

Last edited by Waleedg; 01-27-19 at 07:36 AM.
Waleedg is offline  
Old 01-27-19, 07:44 AM
  #89  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Waleedg View Post
hello guys
tyank you so much for this thread..
Iíve been following you silently for the past month and actually got my box deluvered today...

I have installed it as the videos show exactly... but when I gave it a go to try it and this is what happened:
the screen freezed on the lexus system and didnít show the box interface!!! When I press and hold the call off button again it brings me to full lexus system...

checked the box lights and it has two red leds one of them (the inner) is flashing all the time...

what couldíve possibly went wrong? Any ideas guys??

note: I didnít recieve a microSD card with my unit... should I get one with it or no??


Update:

I found this problem in the company's website in the FAQ section:





Could that be the problem? and I'm sure there is no interface dealer locally... what should I do?? how can I update the system then?
did you connect the screen and LVDS cable to the back of the display? I had this issue when those 2 cables are not connected to the display.

Also, you can contact the seller at wyxiong2009 on wechat to have it fixed faster. Heís responsive. I think he has more experience in this. They are the manufacture of this unit, so they know better than us here :-)
qvtruong is offline  
Old 01-27-19, 07:49 AM
  #90  
qvtruong
Driver
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 191
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Waleedg View Post
hello guys
tyank you so much for this thread..
Iíve been following you silently for the past month and actually got my box deluvered today...

I have installed it as the videos show exactly... but when I gave it a go to try it and this is what happened:
the screen freezed on the lexus system and didnít show the box interface!!! When I press and hold the call off button again it brings me to full lexus system...

checked the box lights and it has two red leds one of them (the inner) is flashing all the time...

what couldíve possibly went wrong? Any ideas guys??

note: I didnít recieve a microSD card with my unit... should I get one with it or no??


Update:

I found this problem in the company's website in the FAQ section:





Could that be the problem? and I'm sure there is no interface dealer locally... what should I do?? how can I update the system then?
and I didnít have an SD card installed.

the light flashing means itís running normally
qvtruong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: