ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/902627-aftermarket-carplay-on-2017-rx350.html)

Gottspd 05-24-19 06:10 PM

I had the same issue. You may be having the same issue I had which is that there was a hidden pop up window asking if I wanted to complete the install. The only way I could see that was because something else popped up on the screen and it led this install pop up to be displayed. I don’t have any suggestions as to how to get past it. I just got lucky. Maybe Cosmo will have an idea.

jjj666 05-24-19 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gottspd (Post 10525904)
I had the same issue. You may be having the same issue I had which is that there was a hidden pop up window asking if I wanted to complete the install. The only way I could see that was because something else popped up on the screen and it led this install pop up to be displayed. I don’t have any suggestions as to how to get past it. I just got lucky. Maybe Cosmo will have an idea.

Thanks so much. Somehow I got the pop up window and installed the update. It’s quick taking seconds

its better to know how to get the pop up window though.

Gottspd 05-24-19 06:25 PM

How’d you get to the pop up?

jjj666 05-24-19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gottspd (Post 10525915)
How’d you get to the pop up?

I don’t know how I did it. I just moved the cursor randomly after many tries and suddenly the window appeared. But not sure if this triggered something or something else.

his989 05-26-19 01:58 PM

Hello! I just purchased 2017 RX350 and I want to install Apple Carplay for my wife right away... A couple of questions for you all:
  1. Which product do I exactly purchase? Because I need a "dongle", I need to buy the unit shown below + optional carplay And-auto, correct? https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...a6be779ecf.jpg
  2. What is the benefit of doing AUX instead of Bluetooth? Is the call/music quality better overall? My one main concern with AUX is no FM radio while Apple Carplay is on. If you don't Bluetooth pair your Android Box with your phone, but still have Lexus Enform Bluetooth pair, wouldn't it still keep the voice over Lexus Enform and ensure that the call quality isn't sacrificed?
  3. If I want to pursue AUX option, what additional cable do I need to purchase?
  4. Best place to place the unit - just drop in the tunnel right below the air vent? Is there anyway to mount this unit specifically so that it's fixed and secure?
  5. GPS signal being lost - Where did you all place the GPS antenna? Someone mentioned about boosting the signal by "grounding it" somewhere...
  6. What is the additional kit that I need to purchase for the "wireless carplay" option?
Looking forward to working on this project. Appreciate y'all's input in advance.

Bearcat 05-26-19 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by his989 (Post 10526890)
Hello! I just purchased 2017 RX350 and I want to install Apple Carplay for my wife right away... A couple of questions for you all:
  1. Which product do I exactly purchase? Because I need a "dongle", I need to buy the unit shown below + optional carplay And-auto, correct? https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...a6be779ecf.jpg
  2. What is the benefit of doing AUX instead of Bluetooth? Is the call/music quality better overall? My one main concern with AUX is no FM radio while Apple Carplay is on. If you don't Bluetooth pair your Android Box with your phone, but still have Lexus Enform Bluetooth pair, wouldn't it still keep the voice over Lexus Enform and ensure that the call quality isn't sacrificed?
  3. If I want to pursue AUX option, what additional cable do I need to purchase?
  4. Best place to place the unit - just drop in the tunnel right below the air vent? Is there anyway to mount this unit specifically so that it's fixed and secure?
  5. GPS signal being lost - Where did you all place the GPS antenna? Someone mentioned about boosting the signal by "grounding it" somewhere...
  6. What is the additional kit that I need to purchase for the "wireless carplay" option?
Looking forward to working on this project. Appreciate y'all's input in advance.

Have you read any of this thread? All your answers are in here.

his989 05-26-19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10526928)
Have you read any of this thread? All your answers are in here.

Bearcat - I've spent a good 2 hours reading through all posts and watching videos trying to get all the ducks in a row before ordering lots of parts. There were the questions I couldn't get a clear answer on. Maybe I'm just a horrible reader... :(

Clarifications on the few questions I posted above.

1. The second option is $50 dollar more expensive and it seems like it only includes the "dongle" from Aliexpress. Am I misreading the seller's webpage?

2. I didn't see a clear verdict on AUX vs Bluetooth, so I was asking this question.

3. I'm trying to see if I need to purchase separate AUX cable with a certain length

4. I think a photo of a dropped unit or a photo of how it's mounted may help

5. I'm not an Electrical Engineer and didn't know how to exactly ground GPS signal and boost it...

qvtruong 05-26-19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by his989 (Post 10526937)
Bearcat - I've spent a good 2 hours reading through all posts and watching videos trying to get all the ducks in a row before ordering lots of parts. There were the questions I couldn't get a clear answer on. Maybe I'm just a horrible reader... :(

Clarifications on the few questions I posted above.

1. The second option is $50 dollar more expensive and it seems like it only includes the "dongle" from Aliexpress. Am I misreading the seller's webpage?

2. I didn't see a clear verdict on AUX vs Bluetooth, so I was asking this question.

3. I'm trying to see if I need to purchase separate AUX cable with a certain length

4. I think a photo of a dropped unit or a photo of how it's mounted may help

5. I'm not an Electrical Engineer and didn't know how to exactly ground GPS signal and boost it...

1. 2nd option include the box AND the carplay/android auto dongle. This is wired version. If you want a wireless version for a wireless CarPlay (there no wireless Android Auto! why? please ask Google), you need to purchase the newer version of the dongle which is not available at the moment. OR you need to wait until the wireless dongle is available and the seller include it as an option in the aliexpress post.

2. Music quality is objective. You just need to try it out with your own ears to see the difference. They are the same to me.

3. NO additional cable needed (other than the lightning cable). The box connects to headunit using AUX for audio. That's how it's able to switch to android by going to AUX in the MEDIA setting.

4. It's deep inside. Can't take a photo. You need to feel it with your hand in there. You can put a double side tape/permanent tape and stuck it in there. However, it will be hard when you want to get it out. It won't move around since its freaking tight in there.

5. GPS is a bit weak, but it is NOT unusable. In fact, it is a decent GPS. Just not as precise as the sophisticated iPhone's GPS.

kmare 05-26-19 06:23 PM

I installed my GPS just above the vents inside the dash. I found the signal to be a bit a weak - it was taking 5 mins to find a signal. I made a small 20x20cm square from cardboard and stuck aluminum tape ontop to make a grounding plate. Stuck this under the antenna - I now get almost instant lock. Supposedly GPS antenna are supposed to be installed above something metal, i guess this does the trick. Same idea as link

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15004

qvtruong 05-26-19 06:42 PM

https://racelogic.support/01VBOX_Aut...GPS_Antenna%3F

Some tips for where to place the GPS antenna

SmithyINC 05-27-19 05:44 AM

Install assistance Houston

I would really love to get this installed in my 2017 rx350 but am hesitant I may screw something up or break a part. Is there anyone in Houston Texas that would be willing to help? Not sure if any shops could do this but I thought it was worth asking before I ordered the parts. Thanks for any suggestions or assistance :)

Irishfxm 05-28-19 07:21 AM

Apple CarPlay On 2018 RX 350?

Looking at purchasing a used 2018 RX 350 from dealer with 9600 miles.

I believe this model has WIFI as part of Enform package?
Does anyone know if this year/model supports Apple CarPlay or if not on this model at dealer’s if it can be downloaded for a reasonable charge and if it is stable?

mspearl95 05-28-19 08:10 AM

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...017-rx350.html

qvtruong 05-28-19 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by SmithyINC (Post 10527235)
I would really love to get this installed in my 2017 rx350 but am hesitant I may screw something up or break a part. Is there anyone in Houston Texas that would be willing to help? Not sure if any shops could do this but I thought it was worth asking before I ordered the parts. Thanks for any suggestions or assistance :)

I don't think you will break things. You can do it!!! Just slowly figure things out and don't rush.

The worst thing you might lose is the two head unit screws/bolts (as other people also mentioned). Use a magnetic screw driver, or be prepare for a trip to a lexus dealer to buy new screws (they are a couple bucks each).

Bearcat 05-28-19 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Irishfxm (Post 10528016)
Looking at purchasing a used 2018 RX 350 from dealer with 9600 miles.

I believe this model has WIFI as part of Enform package?
Does anyone know if this year/model supports Apple CarPlay or if not on this model at dealer’s if it can be downloaded for a reasonable charge and if it is stable?

Seriously?