RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 09:01 AM
baycrusher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I need help... what's the difference between Android 6.0 Standard & OP Carplay and Auto? which one should I order..Thanks Bro!Hi! what's the difference between Android 6.0 Standard & OP Carplay and Auto? Thanks!

Old 05-18-19, 09:09 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by baycrusher
Hi! I need help... what's the difference between Android 6.0 Standard & OP Carplay and Auto? which one should I order..Thanks Bro!Hi! what's the difference between Android 6.0 Standard & OP Carplay and Auto? Thanks!
this is a box that run Android 6.0. The Android community was able to port Apple Carplay/Android Auto to run on Android OS using a dongle. In other words, Carplay/Android auto is an app running in Android OS 6.0.

you will need both the Android box running Android 6.0 (in this case) and a Carplay dongle in order to use Apple Carplay and Android Auto
The following users liked this post:
baycrusher (05-19-19)
Old 05-19-19, 04:22 AM
kmare
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed mine this weekend. Some additional feedback

1. Unit is a tight fit - like others I just kind of slid it to the back of the console. Had to readjust a number of times to fit
2. I stuck GPS antenna onto of the vents. I'm disappointed with the signal strength. Need to trouble shoot this a bit -- Update: Added a "Grounding Plate" made of aluminum tape and cardboard -- about +3 db and instant gps fix now
3. Android auto through phone is stretched, this is a known issues with android auto on extra wide screens
4. Android auto runs fine natively on the device (install apk and run on the box)
5. USB connectors are hanging out the driver foot well - lsailt should have thought this part out w/ install instructions

My weirdness

1. I now have a split screen on reverse camera. Used to be full screen. I guess the wiring harnesses are the cause. Very strange because everything else works exactly as factory. Even stranger is there are random accounts in the forum of various Lexus systems spontaneously spliting / umsplitting reverse cam

Last edited by kmare; 05-19-19 at 05:22 PM.
baycrusher (05-19-19)
Old 05-19-19, 07:11 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed it today on my 2016RX non nav. Below are pictures of the box and the parts.

Notice, that for the non nav version, there is no DIP buttons

GPS antenna

LSVD - screen connector

CarPlay USB connection.

Touch screen cable. I used it for the capacitative screen

Screen power

Speaker - I connected it but seems that I don’t need it.

No need for these

This is is the main harness. Notice that there are three bypass connections for the non nav model. The navigation model has two bypass connections.

Everything connected

The capacitative screen that goes on top of the OEM screen.

This is how the non nav screen looks

And an error message for the screen airplay

After install, I connected to my phone’s hot spot and checked for updates.
Took me some time to figure out that in the main set up there is an option to turn on/off Cross Dot. The cross dot acts as a mouse and you can click on any place on the screen. See the video in post 389 by Cosmo how the cross dot works.

With the the most recent firmware, the CarPlay starts with the Star of the car. No need to press the hang up button or the aux. if you connect the box Bluetooth to the phone Bluetooth, and you plug the phone into the CarPlay dongle, there is no sound. I deleted the Bluetooth connection from the box

Everything works fine for now. Just two problems:
1. The capacitative screen does not work. There is a touch app in the box apps. When the app is on and I touch the screen, there is activity, a small cross moves from top left to top right to bottom right to bottom left and to center. So the screen is connected and working.
When in any other app, the screen does not work
2. Phone screen mirroring does not work. See the error message in the app above.

I am am reaching out to Cosmo to see how to proceed.

Last edited by emhriv; 05-19-19 at 07:17 PM.
johnmacm (07-24-19)
Old 05-20-19, 08:22 AM
critten
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this box in January and just haven't had time to look into it. The way I am going, I might as well wait till the 2021 models that have carplay lol. Anyway, easy integration was what I was looking for - this is a lot of work I don't want to do. With potential issues and such, I just have delayed and delayed.

If someone has a 2018 rx350 with nav and are looking for this box, let me know. Its just been collecting dust for me. I've really liked my old school cd mount, it really isn't that bad. I would love to put an ipad mini in there but I know as soon as I leave a permanent stationary one in the car, my car will be broken into/stolen .
mossytrees (05-27-19)
Old 05-20-19, 12:50 PM
johnmacm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Yeah, call quality is poor but feasible.
As an FYI...
I have been very interested in this mod into my Non-Nav 2016 RX350 since leaving my AIRPLAY compatible 2018 Honda Accord..it really is amazing AIRPLAY isn't available on the Lexus.

Anyway, for those of you on the fence, here is another potential option and email response from Sam Cho regarding the BeatSonic implementation:

Thank you for your inquiry.
The smartphone mirroring kit is not compatible with the non-NAV Lexus RX model, however, we will be releasing the Lexus Apple CarPlay in about a month and it's compatible with your RX.
We will keep your contact information and will inform once the item is available.

Last edited by johnmacm; 05-20-19 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 01:17 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by johnmacm
As an FYI...
I have been very interested in this mod into my Non-Nav 2016 RX350 since leaving my AIRPLAY compatible 2018 Honda Accord..it really is amazing AIRPLAY isn't available on the Lexus.

Anyway, for those of you on the fence, here is another potential option and email response from Sam Cho regarding the BeatSonic implementation:

Thank you for your inquiry.
The smartphone mirroring kit is not compatible with the non-NAV Lexus RX model, however, we will be releasing the Lexus Apple CarPlay in about a month and it's compatible with your RX.
We will keep your contact information and will inform once the item is available.
@johnmacm
i just installed the this android box on my Non-Nav 2016Rx. Works like a charm with the touch screen from Lsailt.
Still need to figure out the airplay and I am sure it’ll work. Cosmo provides great support.
I am very happy with my choice.
Old 05-22-19, 08:13 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

NEW AutoPlay app and BOX firmware available.

There is an option for Wireless Carplay, but it says the product does not support this feature when I tried to enable it.

Cosmo said we need to buy a new dongle to get the wireless carplay, which will be available on their site in a week. WIRELESS CARPLAY!!!!

My RX feel like new again lol

Last edited by qvtruong; 05-22-19 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 08:40 PM
DaytonaV
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this oem CarPlay for a 2017?

Last edited by DaytonaV; 05-22-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 08:43 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaytonaV
Is this oem CarPlay did 2017?
Not quite understand what you meant
Old 05-22-19, 09:33 PM
emhriv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qvtruong
NEW AutoPlay app and BOX firmware available.

There is an option for Wireless Carplay, but it says the product does not support this feature when I tried to enable it.

Cosmo said we need to buy a new dongle to get the wireless carplay, which will be available on their site in a week. WIRELESS CARPLAY!!!!

My RX feel like new again lol

Yes to the WIRELESS CARPLAY!!!
I have been emailing Cosmo about it as well. He’ll let me know as soon as it is available. About $110 usd shipping included.
Cannot wait!
Old 05-23-19, 03:28 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will it work via Bluetooth? So that means no more dock connector connection (via the autobox)?

Last edited by Gottspd; 05-23-19 at 03:32 AM.
Old 05-23-19, 03:29 AM
COSMOXIONG
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't check the news here every day, but I will stay with you here, some problem could be solved some problem could not, I will share all here:-)
Old 05-23-19, 03:34 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Originally Posted by DaytonaV
Is this oem CarPlay for a 2017?
It’s not OEM. It’s a way to get carplay on your 2017 but it’s not oem.
Old 05-23-19, 03:36 AM
Gottspd
Driver

Did you all know that Lexus has an update for certain cars to upgrade the oem system to add carplay (and it’s free)?? My dad just got his LC500H updated but it’s NOT available for the RX. Just wanted to share that they did that which was a bit of a surprise to me.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350