RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 04:05 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crud. After a few days of it working mostly fine I now have a purple screen when I try to access the system. Ugh!!!!!

Crazy. While I was driving it just started to work. Would something plugged into the obd2 port cause any issues?

Last edited by Gottspd; 04-02-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-02-19, 07:42 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Restart the box and you’ll be fine. Press Mode and Track Up at same time for a couple seconds.
Old 04-02-19, 08:02 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. You’ve seen this before?
Old 04-02-19, 08:13 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Yup I sure have
Old 04-03-19, 05:55 AM
4wheeler
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youre absolutely right. The pointer is driven by what’s on the screen and drags the **** toward the buttons. The movement felt familiar when I switched to full screen map.

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Keep in mind the remote is still force feedback driven from the OEM system. So it will pull/push against you in comparison to where the mouse is on the factory display. I find it works best to switch to full screen map before switching to android. Mostly wide open at that point.
Old 04-03-19, 08:30 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice to hear that my post is helpful! :-)

fyi, I have to use bluetooth because my AUX won’t work. I kinda whatever when I first installed it since it works fine in bluetooth.

Last week when I finally had time to disassemble it again, I was helped by Cosmo and David (the chief engineer) to look into why my AUX doesn’t work. We spent like 2 hours trying various fixes and the AUX still can’t be activated. David got my headunit model # and lexus software version #. They are checking to see if there are certain headunit model that were not included in their software. So if your aux doesn’t work, let them know so they know where to look into.
Old 04-03-19, 10:23 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong
Nice to hear that my post is helpful! :-)

fyi, I have to use bluetooth because my AUX won’t work. I kinda whatever when I first installed it since it works fine in bluetooth.

Last week when I finally had time to disassemble it again, I was helped by Cosmo and David (the chief engineer) to look into why my AUX doesn’t work. We spent like 2 hours trying various fixes and the AUX still can’t be activated. David got my headunit model # and lexus software version #. They are checking to see if there are certain headunit model that were not included in their software. So if your aux doesn’t work, let them know so they know where to look into.
Did you have the Mark Levinson sound? Or regular? I'm regular and it works fine. Don't know if that might have something to do with it? Or heck, do you plug into the aux jack in your arm rest/console? I do not. Technically that should be the same aux port.
Old 04-03-19, 10:33 AM
4wheeler
Driver School Candidate

Anyone else losing charge while connected with CarPlay?
Old 04-03-19, 10:40 AM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you have the Mark Levinson sound? Or regular? I'm regular and it works fine. Don't know if that might have something to do with it? Or heck, do you plug into the aux jack in your arm rest/console? I do not. Technically that should be the same aux port.
i have mark levinson. I do not plug it to the aux jack. But ehh bluetooth is good for me. I can’t tell the sound diff between bluetooth and aux anyways.
Old 04-03-19, 10:52 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Maybe that's it, Bearcat, what sound system do you have? Mark Levinson?
Old 04-04-19, 05:26 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Originally Posted by qvtruong

The installation is not hard. You can check one of the video I linked in earlier reply on how to disassemble the headunit.

for the screen, you pop up the little plastic piece in front of the screen, and pop up the back cover of the screen. There are 3 bolt, 2 in front of the screen, and one in the back on the passenger side. Remove those bolt then you can pull up the screen, you will see cable behind the screen

There is a carplay dongle that plug to the box’s USB cord, then we plug the lightning cable to the dongle.
Hello, can you expand on the screen removal! this doesn't seems to fit with my RX350 2016! there is no plastic piece in front of the screen.
Thanks
Old 04-04-19, 07:58 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Originally Posted by Lepapeherm
Hello, can you expand on the screen removal! this doesn't seems to fit with my RX350 2016! there is no plastic piece in front of the screen.
Thanks
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post10473905

Scroll through to near the end. You'll see it.
The following users liked this post:
Lepapeherm (04-04-19)
Old 04-04-19, 08:03 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Maybe that's it, Bearcat, what sound system do you have? Mark Levinson?
yes I have Mark Levinson. I tried to delete the Autoplay app since I thought that might be it, but can’t figure out how to format a usb drive to put it back on there. I’ve tried multiple formats and the box recognizes it but won’t open it to show the files on the drive. Annoyed.
Old 04-04-19, 10:21 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Originally Posted by Bearcat
yes I have Mark Levinson. I tried to delete the Autoplay app since I thought that might be it, but can’t figure out how to format a usb drive to put it back on there. I’ve tried multiple formats and the box recognizes it but won’t open it to show the files on the drive. Annoyed.
A-ha! I'd say that's conclusive then. The people with Mark Levinson sound systems can't use the aux line; likely because of how the external amps are used to increase fidelity they route the aux line differently on those systems and you'll either have to custom wire to the "other side" of the amp or accept that it's bluetooth only for your cars. Perhaps the vendor will figure out an additional harness for that use case.
Old 04-04-19, 03:20 PM
decngb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does not have the Mark Levinson sound. Can someone post or point to instructions for using the AUX input? Right now, I'm using Bluetooth and have to switch the connection on the phone every time I initiate or receive a call.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350