ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350 (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/902627-aftermarket-carplay-on-2017-rx350.html)

Gottspd 03-31-19 08:07 AM

Is there a way to cause YouTube to fill the screen?

JSracer 03-31-19 08:11 AM

say, is pulling the deck an easy straightforward process, anything sketchy or trickey, or smooth sailing ?? any tips or tricks learned ??
i have a in motion bypass and screenbeam to install in the next week or 2 from the other guys, just trying to get a feel for it, since more are digging into the dash.

thanks for the time
sorry for the interruption :)

4wheeler 03-31-19 09:05 AM

Use the YouTube app for it.
Browser does not fill the screen.

Originally Posted by Gottspd (Post 10479918)
Is there a way to cause YouTube to fill the screen?

Gottspd 03-31-19 09:55 AM

I used the link on the main page of the device.

Gottspd 03-31-19 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by JSracer (Post 10479922)
say, is pulling the deck an easy straightforward process, anything sketchy or trickey, or smooth sailing ?? any tips or tricks learned ??
i have a in motion bypass and screenbeam to install in the next week or 2 from the other guys, just trying to get a feel for it, since more are digging into the dash.

thanks for the time
sorry for the interruption :)

watch one of the YouTube videos. Pretty straight forward. I got a magnetic bit just to be safe.

JSracer 03-31-19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gottspd (Post 10480212)
watch one of the YouTube videos. Pretty straight forward. I got a magnetic bit just to be safe.

Thanks, glad to hear it's straight forward. I watched some videos already, Sounds like it should be smooth sailing, appreciate the information.

qvtruong 03-31-19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gottspd (Post 10479871)
Alright here’s something strange. Every so often on the bottom of the screen the climate control information will display. That’s odd. Anyone else have that happen?

if you put AC in auto, every time the system changes fan speed, or air circulation, it will pop that information at the bottom. It’s normal.

try to change fan speed manually, you will see it pop up.

Jdawg95 03-31-19 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Onion (Post 10462396)
Wow the lightning plug is so strong.im surprised it didn't bend, Looks like it's under pressure as the phone is not vertical.

Hi Bearcat. Can you share the link of this cupholder charger? How is it holding up so far? I'm interested moving my cables the same way you are doing so my phone can have a little stand :)

Gottspd 04-01-19 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by qvtruong (Post 10480338)
if you put AC in auto, every time the system changes fan speed, or air circulation, it will pop that information at the bottom. It’s normal.

try to change fan speed manually, you will see it pop up.

cool.

thanks!

4wheeler 04-01-19 02:10 PM

Hey Guys,

Some of my findings detailed.

Ordered on 2/28 and received on 3/14. Turnaround time of 15 days - not bad I would say.

Installation Tips:
I am not very inclined to DIY projects. First time opening car stuff. Took me couple of hours to fix it all.
The challenging parts were opening the car power plug. It was very tightly plugged in and I had to yank it very hard to open amid fear of breaking it

The centre silver plastic piece is fragile and needs care while opening. Don't pull it from the corners - apply pressure only on the thicker parts.
I could find sufficient space for planting the unit below the AC vent. The screws that hold the head unit are angled away from sight and its a little difficult to get to.
I used the 10 mm bolt opener. Bought the 20 PC SAE/metric Craftsmen set from Lowes.

I have run my USB wire outside, just above the cigarette lighter port and stuck it on top. Nothing is visible. Will post a pic later.

Post-installation Issues:
1. I could not get the system to detect my iPhone. The phone was not charging and the display gave an error -
“Please insert the box into the USB port of the car”. Had to open the system again and reconnect the USB cable to make it work.
Make sure to test the car play and audio out before you assemble everything back.

2. The car play display was stretched like some other members here. Clearing the cache and data for the car app in android and system restart fixed it for me.

PROS:
1. The audio is routed through AUX and the quality is much better than Bluetooth. So the audio box is just another audio source like Sirius / FM.
I am not sure why qvtroung has connected the box with Lexus BT. Maybe AUX was a feature developed with the last update. qvtroung if you could share some light here.
2. Steering audio controls works to change tracks.
3. Phone answer and hangup buttons on steering work with CarPlay - possibly because my phone is connected to Lexus via bluetooth as well, and the Lexus app is invoked but not displayed ( since android unit is on top). I will check this, just out of curiosity. [ Update - when phone Bluetooth is off, call and hangup buttons do not work. Down button to answer calls. So answer calls work with BT in background but shows up in CarPlay ]
4. Press and hold answer button invokes Siri. [ Update : Not when Bluetooth on your phone is off. ]
5. Car mic works for the android box. So I can invoke mic audio input for google maps / waze.

Issues (rather scope of improvement):
1. The parking sensors do not display automatically on the screen when you are parking in Drive gear. The sound still comes and you see the sensors on the small LCD screen but not on the main screen. This is the biggest flaw in my opinion.
2. My iPhone X barely holds charge when connected with the carplay dongle. In post 51 qvtroung has shown charging mode options. Will play around and see if that helps. [Update : Charging mode was always set to strong. Battery went down to 40% from 44% in 45 minutes commute. CarPlay was on with music playing ]
3. The remote touch knob feels different after I reintsalled everything. Its a little stiffer and at times continues movement after I remove my hand. I can live with it but its annoying and surprsing - considering I did not touch that for installation. [Update: Force feedback driven from the OEM system. So it will pull/push against you in comparison to where the mouse is on the factory display. Thanks shadowmite ]
4. Sometime screen freezes on google maps in CarPlay. The audio alerts are fine but map position does not change. I go to the Android display and restart CarPlay and it starts working.
5. Skipping to next track via steering control skips 2 songs. Annoying. Work around to use the next button on display in CarPlay. But you have to use the knob.
6. Static sounds when you start the car. I can live with this. Will probably not happen if you switch the source from AUX or mute the system when turning off.
7. I loose audio at times when playing music through CarPlay. I think it happens all the time when I switch mode. Found a work around to invoke Siri to get the audio back in AUX.
Sometimes when I switch audio, a small display pops up - nav Speak - true. Thats the indicator if sound is turned off. Its a bug and should be fixed with a software patch.
Anyone else notice this and know a way to access it and keep it always on.
8. NEW - Cannot make calls when phone Bluetooth is off. The receiver could not hear me. Answering calls work fine.

Thank You qvtroung again for all your timely inputs and reassurances here.

Bearcat 04-01-19 09:33 PM

I wish I could figure out how to get my Aux to work. Just nothing there. Bluetooth works fine but mine also disconnects when I change sources and come back to it. I hear that the it uses the car mic when using AUX but can anyone tell me what mic is used when using Bluetooth? Car or Phone?

4wheeler 04-02-19 03:57 AM

I think it uses the car mic. The sound is clear at the receiving end. The phone mic will be at a distance and wouldn’t be as clear with the speaker off ( I think ).

Regarding AUX, are you running the latest patch ?

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10481274)
I wish I could figure out how to get my Aux to work. Just nothing there. Bluetooth works fine but mine also disconnects when I change sources and come back to it. I hear that the it uses the car mic when using AUX but can anyone tell me what mic is used when using Bluetooth? Car or Phone?

Bearcat 04-02-19 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by 4wheeler (Post 10481356)
I think it uses the car mic. The sound is clear at the receiving end. The phone mic will be at a distance and wouldn’t be as clear with the speaker off ( I think ).

Regarding AUX, are you running the latest patch ?

It says I'm running the latest software on CarPlay and the Box when I go to the bottom of the setting screen in Autoplay. Is that what you were referring to?

4wheeler 04-02-19 10:43 AM

Yes. Thats what I was referring.

Maybe check with customer support. They might be able to sort it ouy.

shadowmite 04-02-19 12:03 PM

3. The remote touch knob feels different after I reintsalled everything. Its a little stiffer and at times continues movement after I remove my hand. I can live with it but its annoying and surprsing - considering I did not touch that for installation.
Keep in mind the remote is still force feedback driven from the OEM system. So it will pull/push against you in comparison to where the mouse is on the factory display. I find it works best to switch to full screen map before switching to android. Mostly wide open at that point.