RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 11:09 AM
decngb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4wheeler
Thank you for this.

I have asked this before. Is there a way to test the system at home? Can i connect a monitor and somehow power the device without connecting to Lexus.

Thanks.
I suppose it's possible if you care to reverse-engineer the wiring harness and connect it to a 12V power supply. I couldn't tell you if it as simple as finding the +12V and ground leads and leaving everything else disconnected, but I suspect that would be the case. It does not need to be connected to the Lexus display to test it with the external monitor.
Old 03-19-19, 12:05 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

1. Make sure you have a monitor you can connect outside your car, or on the passenger seat with an RCA cable that is long enough to reach the dash.
Yea, about that... I haven't owned a monitor capable of RCA/Analog video since 1996 or so... I'd have to rip a TV off one of my walls to use it's video in connections... But I'll hope my install goes smoother. Certainly keep us informed on what you find.
Old 03-20-19, 07:31 PM
decngb
Driver School Candidate

qvtruong (or anyone): do you know how to adjust the resolution of Carplay on the Android box? I have the same 12.3" screen, but I only get 4 icons across instead of the 5 you show in your pictures. It also looks blocky and stretched compared to yours. I've dug around the menus, but can find an option for changing it. The Android menus look correct - the problem is with the Carplay screens only.

ETA: I read back through the whole thread and watched your initial video again. I did not check the settings when first going into Carplay, nor did I check for Carplay updates on that screen. I'm away from the car for 24 hours, but I'll check that tomorrow night.

Last edited by decngb; 03-20-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 11:45 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by decngb
qvtruong (or anyone): do you know how to adjust the resolution of Carplay on the Android box? I have the same 12.3" screen, but I only get 4 icons across instead of the 5 you show in your pictures. It also looks blocky and stretched compared to yours. I've dug around the menus, but can find an option for changing it. The Android menus look correct - the problem is with the Carplay screens only.

ETA: I read back through the whole thread and watched your initial video again. I did not check the settings when first going into Carplay, nor did I check for Carplay updates on that screen. I'm away from the car for 24 hours, but I'll check that tomorrow night.
Bearcat had this issue before. We tried to fix it ourselves, but unsuccessful, so he contacted Cosmo to get it fixed. If you already select Lexus 1280 as the resolution and it’s not fixed, I suggest you to contact Cosmo or other sales person.
Old 03-20-19, 11:48 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gottspd
Can you have carplay on the left 2/3 of the screen (of a LHD vehicle) and leave the right 1/3 to show, for example, the hybrid energy monitor?
Nope, it’s basically 2 computers connect to 1 screen. You can only see one at a time.
Old 03-21-19, 06:24 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qvtruong

Nope, it’s basically 2 computers connect to 1 screen. You can only see one at a time.
thanks. Will it switch to the surround camera when you come to a stop and then revert back to carplay once you start moving?
Old 03-21-19, 07:09 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gottspd

thanks. Will it switch to the surround camera when you come to a stop and then revert back to carplay once you start moving?
yes it works seamlessly, but I disable that automatic camera view. Kinda annoying when I want to select a song or navigation while slowing down at a stop light. I always back in at parking anyways.
Old 03-22-19, 06:34 AM
decngb
Driver School Candidate

Bearcat had this issue before. We tried to fix it ourselves, but unsuccessful, so he contacted Cosmo to get it fixed. If you already select Lexus 1280 as the resolution and it’s not fixed, I suggest you to contact Cosmo or other sales person.
Cosmo hooked me up with the steps to fix the stretched Carplay screen. Basically the fix is to clear out application data for Carplay, but he sent it as a video. When I get home, I'll either attach the video here or transcribe it into instructions in case anyone else has the same problem. I have to say, this thing is awesome!
Old 03-22-19, 06:43 AM
decngb
Driver School Candidate

See attached for instruction to turn "Master-On" on setting. All sounds now go through car's speakers.

qvtruong, connecting the audio is the last problem I seem to be having. As I follow along with the instructions you posted after turning Master off, I am able to do the first step - adding the Android box from my phone (step A). When I try step B, clicking Search only shows my phone on the list and it is already connected. I completed the rest of the steps anyways, and the audio doesn't work.

I'll spend some more time on it after work, but if anyone has any pointers please share.
Old 03-22-19, 07:01 PM
llcw79
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try AUX
Choose AUX from Lexus original UI then go to Android or carplay then try.

For the BT connection, try to connect Android box from Lexus first then go to Android setup. Then you will see The Lexus BT.

Hope this helps.

qvtruong, connecting the audio is the last problem I seem to be having. As I follow along with the instructions you posted after turning Master off, I am able to do the first step - adding the Android box from my phone (step A). When I try step B, clicking Search only shows my phone on the list and it is already connected. I completed the rest of the steps anyways, and the audio doesn't work.

I'll spend some more time on it after work, but if anyone has any pointers please share.
Old 03-23-19, 02:44 PM
shadowmite
Driver

Can anyone elaborate on how to remove the trim behind the screen? I got everything else, but that back trim doesn't seem intuitive to me to remove.

Edit: Nevermind, found this:

The following users liked this post:
mcalr3 (12-12-20)
Old 03-23-19, 03:31 PM
decngb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Can anyone elaborate on how to remove the trim behind the screen? I got everything else, but that back trim doesn't seem intuitive to me to remove.
If you haven't managed to get it off yet, it goes straight up. I used two plastic pry tools - one to get it started and then the other to get a deeper grip.
Old 03-23-19, 04:52 PM
shadowmite
Driver

I did after watching that video and seeing it needed to go straight up. I actually found it easier to remove the front bolts which allowed enough play to pull the screen up which loosened the back.

For some reason my unit "flickers" in the OEM mode now, but works in the android mode. Not sure if anyone has seen this before? The MCU upgrade reports I have the latest firmware already.
Old 03-24-19, 11:11 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Interestingly the rearview camera does not flicker, but the right side media computer display does...

i did try re-seating all the display cables but no change.

i may may have a dud and have to return it. Cosmo has not responded.

Last edited by shadowmite; 03-24-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-25-19, 09:02 PM
Gottspd
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Waleedg

Actually they were super helpful....

I have only one issue I noticed yesterday: When I use navigation apps (happened with both google maps and waze) I noticed sometime the screen just freezes... which is quite annoying when you are on a long road you don’t actually realize it... to solve it I had to unplug the iPhone and replug again...

maybe I need to update the system as you mentioned...

one last thing (a really great point) now when you enter the android system through media/AUX pathway on Lexus interface, all sounds go through the car speakers and your calls go through the car mic exactly as you woukd if you were connecting through Bluetooth.... no need to connect the system through bluetooth to get those features.... and the sound is amazing!!!!
just confirming something... you didn’t wire it any differently than has been suggested, right? It just happens that when using aux, the sound works?

Any updates on this?

Cosmo hooked me up with the steps to fix the stretched Carplay screen. Basically the fix is to clear out application data for Carplay, but he sent it as a video. When I get home, I'll either attach the video here or transcribe it into instructions in case anyone else has the same problem. I have to say, this thing is awesome!
Can you share his video or post his instructions please?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket carplay on 2017 RX350