RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Soft Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 04:59 AM
greatalok
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Ride Quality

I have been enjoying my 2017 RX for over the year. It's been comfortable and very safe with all those driver assist technologies.
If there is one thing I could change a little, that would be the soft ride quality. It rides like a boat on a lake. It is great if the roads are smooth, however if there are turns, twists and uneven roads, the ride becomes very bouncy (again not sharp bounce but waddling like a boat on somewhat choppy waters).
Are there any modifications which can be done to make this a little more sportier? Better/ wider tires? different suspensions? Anything else?
Old 10-13-18, 06:42 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by greatalok
I have been enjoying my 2017 RX for over the year. It's been comfortable and very safe with all those driver assist technologies.
If there is one thing I could change a little, that would be the soft ride quality. It rides like a boat on a lake. It is great if the roads are smooth, however if there are turns, twists and uneven roads, the ride becomes very bouncy (again not sharp bounce but waddling like a boat on somewhat choppy waters).
Are there any modifications which can be done to make this a little more sportier? Better/ wider tires? different suspensions? Anything else?
Pretty much what ever you do to firm up the suspension will negatively affect the ride. If you bought your car you can do anything you want to it. If you leased it, not so much. I've never been in an F-Sport, but perhaps that is what you should have looked at first.
But the fact is, you bought a luxury car.
Old 10-14-18, 09:45 AM
SugarmillM
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greatalok
You might try increasing the tire air pressure from the factory recommended 33 pounds to possibly 34 or 35. This might help diminish the bounce.
Old 10-14-18, 10:49 AM
rpjense
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The F-Sport suspension even in it's softest position is stiffer than a regular RX. You might want to switch to that model rather than splurging on suspension components? That or 22" wheels?
Old 10-14-18, 06:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Tire pressure will increase initial impact harshness, but not reduce float. You will need stiffer springs (and dampers). Cheapest is the springs only (~$300 + $200-$300 install). You can get OEM F Sport springs but the best bang for the buck is aftermarket (i.e RSR) which will in addition to float reduction, will lower the center of gravity and reduce body lean while cornering thanks to a lowered ride height.

https://www.rs-r.com/product/lexus-r...-springs-2016/

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by corradoMR2:
ericsan13 (10-16-18), HeatherLee (07-04-19)