RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX350 F Sport, FWD???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 06:51 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RX350 F Sport, FWD???

I went to to the Lexus site and priced a 2019 FWD RX350 F Sport with options and packages. Not too much different in price than the 2018's. I know the 2018's are being sold at a reduced cost right now to make room for the 2019's that should be arriving shortly.

So I thought, maybe there is a 2018 that meets all the wants that I am looking for and I can get my wife in a new car sooner.

Well, it seems that all the RX350 F-Sports that are 2018 are AWD. From San Diego to Los Angeles, not one single F Sport in FWD drivetrain (almost seems like in California...maybe West Coast?)

I go to our local dealership and say I have 60K waiting in my bank account to hand to you guys, can you build me the car that my wife wants? Nope sorry, they don't make F Sports in FWD, the sales person tells us.

Does Lexus make a FWD RX350 F Sport, or not? Or does the F Sport trim only come in AWD? Is the Lexus website that is available for all to see wrong?

Is there anyone on here that is a salesperson that would be willing to help us out?

Ready to buy the car for my wife, cash in hand.
Old 10-01-18, 08:25 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008ISF
I went to to the Lexus site and priced a 2019 FWD RX350 F Sport with options and packages. Not too much different in price than the 2018's. I know the 2018's are being sold at a reduced cost right now to make room for the 2019's that should be arriving shortly.

So I thought, maybe there is a 2018 that meets all the wants that I am looking for and I can get my wife in a new car sooner.

Well, it seems that all the RX350 F-Sports that are 2018 are AWD. From San Diego to Los Angeles, not one single F Sport in FWD drivetrain (almost seems like in California...maybe West Coast?)

I go to our local dealership and say I have 60K waiting in my bank account to hand to you guys, can you build me the car that my wife wants? Nope sorry, they don't make F Sports in FWD, the sales person tells us.

Does Lexus make a FWD RX350 F Sport, or not? Or does the F Sport trim only come in AWD? Is the Lexus website that is available for all to see wrong?

Is there anyone on here that is a salesperson that would be willing to help us out?

why don't you want AWD?
Old 10-01-18, 08:38 PM
2008ISF
Driver

I live in southern California. I dont really have a need for AWD. For the past 30 years of driving, I've somehow gotten by with either F or RWD. To me its an option that adds weight, more parts to go bad/need replacing in the future (rear axles, leaking seals and transfer case, rear diff that needs to be serviced, etc..).

I had a 4WD vehicle when I lived in Colorado...it was great for the snow season. If I ever go back to a state that has snow, then yes, I wouldnt even think twice about getting AWD.

And I know Toyota makes a great AWD system that can be pretty low maintenance.

Its just an option that I don't want. I also dont want the HUD, the panoramic roof, tow package, and cold weather package.
Old 10-02-18, 03:12 AM
really
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they don't have it in CA, I very much doubt it's anywhere. You could call Lexus. What's wrong with AWD?
Old 10-02-18, 08:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

According to the 2018 Lexus RX 350 Product Information Sheet, you can get a FWD model with the F Sport package:

F SPORT (available in AWD and FWD)
• 20-inch F SPORT wheels with dark metallic finish (235/55/R20)
• Active sound generator
• Adaptive Variable Suspension with Sport+ drive mode
• Black headliner
• Black outer mirrors- power fold, EC, with memory
• F SPORT exterior and steering wheel badging
• F SPORT heated perforated leather- wrapped steering wheel with paddle shifters
• F SPORT meter
• F SPORT tuned suspension with front and rear performance dampers
• Heated and ventilated F SPORT leather-trimmed front seats with unique stitching available in Black,
Stratus Gray or Rioja Red
• Perforated shift ****
• Scored Aluminum trim, pedals and foot rest
• Unique fascia, front bumper, and rear bumper
• Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM)
Source
The following users liked this post:
2008ISF (10-02-18)
Old 10-02-18, 10:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Here's a FWD F Sport for sale:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4451/overview/
2008ISF (10-02-18)
Old 10-02-18, 11:04 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I agree with the poster - even though I live in the NE, I truly would have preferred FWD only but couldn't be bothered searching for one when we purchased. Florida has all of the FWD models
2008ISF (10-02-18)
Old 10-02-18, 08:16 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Originally Posted by really
If they don't have it in CA, I very much doubt it's anywhere. You could call Lexus. What's wrong with AWD?
Nothing is wrong with it...I just don’t need it. Plus being a mechanic, I don’t want to be the one that has to fix driveline problems for a AWD system I don’t need.
Old 10-02-18, 08:22 PM
2008ISF
Driver

From a quick search, most the FWD F sport models seem to be back east...everything out here on the west coast is AWD. Which makes no sense to me...if most people in Southern California do 80-90% of their driving on the freeway, what’s the point of an AWD? Safety? Extra feature/selling point?

Whatever the case, I don’t need it, don’t want it, and realize now that I don’t have to get it...thanks for everyone’s help. Now I just have to find a dealer that’s willing to help me out.
Old 10-03-18, 05:55 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

From a quick search, most the FWD F sport models seem to be back east...everything out here on the west coast is AWD. Which makes no sense to me...if most people in Southern California do 80-90% of their driving on the freeway, what’s the point of an AWD? Safety? Extra feature/selling point?

Whatever the case, I don’t need it, don’t want it, and realize now that I don’t have to get it...thanks for everyone’s help. Now I just have to find a dealer that’s willing to help me out.
Better traction in many conditions other than snow I suppose but I agree I would have preferred FWD as I don't go off road nor drive in bad winter storms.
Old 10-03-18, 07:30 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

TX has the most FWD models, I looked online since we are shopping for just that, there's only a few in FL where I live, however, there are several in TX though most aren't F sport. FWD F sports are harder to come by even in South Florida.
Old 10-04-18, 07:23 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Can't you special-order one?
I also didn't want/need AWD, but I realized it wasn't going to be easy to find a FWD so I settled for an AWD.
Old 10-04-18, 07:46 AM
2008ISF
Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Can't you special-order one?
I also didn't want/need AWD, but I realized it wasn't going to be easy to find a FWD so I settled for an AWD.
That’s the problem I am running into. Even though the Lexus website states that you can build a fwd f-sport, when I go to the dealerships in my area, no one is able to build one for me. So far I have contacted 3 dealerships but everyone says it can’t be done...only awd is available in the f-sport package.

I guess no one wants my money?
Old 10-04-18, 09:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

That’s the problem I am running into. Even though the Lexus website states that you can build a fwd f-sport, when I go to the dealerships in my area, no one is able to build one for me. So far I have contacted 3 dealerships but everyone says it can’t be done...only awd is available in the f-sport package.

I guess no one wants my money?
I would think you have two options - one is to special order which will take time or the other is to locate one and have your local dealer fetch it for you.
Old 10-04-18, 11:18 PM
2008ISF
Driver

Default Oh well, Lexus must not want my business.

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I would think you have two options - one is to special order which will take time or the other is to locate one and have your local dealer fetch it for you.
I guess that is the main problem that I am having. Lexus states that you can have the car of your dreams in their ads. And then when you go to a dealership and say this is what I want...an RX350 FWD F-Sport with options A B and C, the car of my dreams...the sales people look at you like you are crazy and say "What you see on the lot is what you get...or Lexus doesnt make the F-Sport in FWD".

So then I say, I will gladly custom order the car and wait the 3 months for my car...again sales people say sorry cant do it.

This is probably the easiest $60k sale a Lexus salesperson could make.

If anyone knows of a dealer that will be willing to help me out, point me in the right direction.

Oh, and Hawaii has 4 white 2018 F-Sport FWD RX350s. Go figure. Maybe it might be time to look at other brands for a new car.

Quick Reply: RX350 F Sport, FWD???