RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Switching from Nx to Rx, atomic silver or cashmere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 05:06 PM
LexusWest
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the major reasons I bought the RX was because of the color, love the Atomic Silver. Just got it ceramic coated.
Old 09-25-18, 05:30 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Hardly. I have no reason to be defensive. I don't own an Atomic Silver vehicle. Instead of feeling "defensive", I felt that it would be pertinent and valuable to reference the experience that CL members with Atomic Silver vehicles have had when they have had to have paint work done on their cars. You can feel free to ignore that experience, but, to me, their experience is more valuable than what a body shop that wants you to feel confident that they can do a good job on your car tells you. And, if you search the CL boards, you will find other threads posted by people who tell similar horror stories about paint repairs with Atomic Silver vehicles.

Good luck, however, with the repairs to your car.
That's the second time you defended what you said in post #20, I never said that you were wrong and quite honestly I don't care. I have an Atomic Silver and there are 2 reasons why I like the color, it doesn't show dirt and I get loads of compliments on the color. If I'm not happy with the match, they'll do it over until they get it right. I would buy a car in the color I like even though it's difficult to match the color in case of an accident. I've been a risk taker all my life
Thank you for wishing me good luck, I looked forward to getting my car back even though they gave me a Mercedes to play with.
Old 09-26-18, 10:24 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
That's the second time you defended what you said in post #20, I never said that you were wrong and quite honestly I don't care. I have an Atomic Silver and there are 2 reasons why I like the color, it doesn't show dirt and I get loads of compliments on the color. If I'm not happy with the match, they'll do it over until they get it right. I would buy a car in the color I like even though it's difficult to match the color in case of an accident. I've been a risk taker all my life
Thank you for wishing me good luck, I looked forward to getting my car back even though they gave me a Mercedes to play with.
In before the mods lock this down. lesz has an opinion and chose to disagree, providing his observation of a given color and educating us on the "Stages" of car colors. I didn't find his posts offensive at all, however you seem to be unnecessarily calling him defensive and also unnecessarily defending your color. Bottom line is that there's always a paint risk of when it comes to repair and results may vary depending on the type of paint. It's a subjective risk and open to opinion.

Perhaps lesz can disclose his car color for transparencies sake. Also, what stage color is Caviar Black? I am leaving this thread.

Last edited by ericsan13; 09-26-18 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-26-18, 11:17 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Eric, Thank You for your input. I am not defending my color, in fact I'm quite concerned about the color match. Whether white or silver is harder to match was never the intent of my post. Lesz thought I was attacking his post and for that I apologize, I was not. I was not even aware of the stages of car colors and I thought his initial comments were appropriate and very informational.
I too am leaving this thread.
Old 09-26-18, 01:14 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
In before the mods lock this down. lesz has an opinion and chose to disagree, providing his observation of a given color and educating us on the "Stages" of car colors. I didn't find his posts offensive at all, however you seem to be unnecessarily calling him defensive and also unnecessarily defending your color. Bottom line is that there's always a paint risk of when it comes to repair and results may vary depending on the type of paint. It's a subjective risk and open to opinion.
I appreciate your comment.

I had decided, until reading your post, that the tone of a few replies to my posts in this thread was an indication that my input here wasn't really welcome and that I would not reply any further.

In an earlier post, I described the Atomic Silver as a "stunningly beautiful color". Thus, I was not intending to say that it is a color choice without merit. Instead, my intent was to provide information to those who might be considering the color, and I thought that it might be beneficial for them to know that paint repairs, whether major or even minor touch-ups, can be very problematic with the color.

When I read a couple of the replies to my posts, I got the feeling that some people were taking my input as a personal attack to the color choice that they made for their cars, and I regretted that I had even bothered to provide any input to this thread.

Originally Posted by ericsan13

Perhaps lesz can disclose his car color for transparencies sake.
My ES is Obsidian, and my GX is the very similar Black Onyx.

I am especially particular about fits and finishes, and, in particular, the paint on my vehicles. If I walk through a parking lot, paint mismatches on cars parked there will immediately catch my eye. When I walk through the of a Lexus dealer, if I see a CPO Lexus with Atomic Silver or one of the pearl whites and if it has a refinished bumper, I will immediately notice even a small color mismatch, and seeing it will feel, to me, like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard.

Knowledge about paint match challenges with various colors is an important factor that influences my vehicle color choices. Non-metallic blacks are, by far, the easiest colors to match. On my GX, there are a few small stone nicks that have been touched up, and, unless your eyes are only a few inches from the touch-ups, they would be impossible to notice. The rear bumper on the GX has also been refinished. Even someone with a very sensitive eye could look at that vehicle as closely as he/she wanted, and he/she would not detect that the bumper was re-painted.

I've had cars with 2 stage metallic colors. They definitely present more challenges with matching paint than the non-metallic blacks, but it is possible, with good technique, to achieve acceptable color matches with those colors. With the 3, 4, or 5 stage pearls, the same is not necessarily true.

Again, I know that color mismatches don't bother many, and I know that many are okay with doing touch-ups of minor nicks in the paint and having those touch-ups being ones that are easily noticeable. But, for those who are particular about paint matches, knowing about which colors are likely to come with color matching challenges should be valuable information.
The following users liked this post:
danais7 (09-30-18)
Old 07-17-19, 10:04 PM
arnie1
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Atomic silver vs Cashmere

Originally Posted by lesz
I appreciate your comment.

I had decided, until reading your post, that the tone of a few replies to my posts in this thread was an indication that my input here wasn't really welcome and that I would not reply any further.

In an earlier post, I described the Atomic Silver as a "stunningly beautiful color". Thus, I was not intending to say that it is a color choice without merit. Instead, my intent was to provide information to those who might be considering the color, and I thought that it might be beneficial for them to know that paint repairs, whether major or even minor touch-ups, can be very problematic with the color.

When I read a couple of the replies to my posts, I got the feeling that some people were taking my input as a personal attack to the color choice that they made for their cars, and I regretted that I had even bothered to provide any input to this thread.

My ES is Obsidian, and my GX is the very similar Black Onyx.

I am especially particular about fits and finishes, and, in particular, the paint on my vehicles. If I walk through a parking lot, paint mismatches on cars parked there will immediately catch my eye. When I walk through the of a Lexus dealer, if I see a CPO Lexus with Atomic Silver or one of the pearl whites and if it has a refinished bumper, I will immediately notice even a small color mismatch, and seeing it will feel, to me, like fingernails scraping on a chalkboard.

Knowledge about paint match challenges with various colors is an important factor that influences my vehicle color choices. Non-metallic blacks are, by far, the easiest colors to match. On my GX, there are a few small stone nicks that have been touched up, and, unless your eyes are only a few inches from the touch-ups, they would be impossible to notice. The rear bumper on the GX has also been refinished. Even someone with a very sensitive eye could look at that vehicle as closely as he/she wanted, and he/she would not detect that the bumper was re-painted.

I've had cars with 2 stage metallic colors. They definitely present more challenges with matching paint than the non-metallic blacks, but it is possible, with good technique, to achieve acceptable color matches with those colors. With the 3, 4, or 5 stage pearls, the same is not necessarily true.

Again, I know that color mismatches don't bother many, and I know that many are okay with doing touch-ups of minor nicks in the paint and having those touch-ups being ones that are easily noticeable. But, for those who are particular about paint matches, knowing about which colors are likely to come with color matching challenges should be valuable information.
Recently bought 2019 RX in Atomic Silver. On my dusty cottage road, the back door gets coated with dust. After driving in a light rain, it does need a car wash. I had the choice of the Champagne but didn’t care for the 2 tone brown interior. I’ve owned a 2013 white RX and it always looked clean, at least from a little distance. I had a 2008 light silver RX which also looked decent from a little distance. Lighter colors look cleaner than dark.
The following 2 users liked this post by arnie1:
Cocal (07-18-19), Seabone726 (04-04-20)