RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cargo Cover Falling Apart

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 04:41 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
This is what I mean and what happens when your passengers mess with the cover. Can't blame them because it really should've been designed to do this anyway.

Pretend it is attached and someone flips it like this

Then you get a damaged cargo cover and damaged trim. You can't tell since it's dark but it's not pretty.
Thanks for the pics - now I completely understand what you are talking about being “flipped”. I know what’s happened. I often carry one or two 5 gallon water jugs back there & they push the cover up a little. That still doesn’t excuse them from the cheap@ss frame with junk screws holding the guides on. That should be heavier metal & the guides should be riveted on.

Yes, I’m hating on Lexus because this is a completely stupid & flimsy design. I expected more from Lexus.
Old 08-21-18, 04:54 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Thanks for the pics - now I completely understand what you are talking about being “flipped”. I know what’s happened. I often carry one or two 5 gallon water jugs back there & they push the cover up a little. That still doesn’t excuse them from the cheap@ss frame with junk screws holding the guides on. That should be heavier metal & the guides should be riveted on.

Yes, I’m hating on Lexus because this is a completely stupid & flimsy design. I expected more from Lexus.
It's a bad design but this is still an improvement from the 3rd gen RX. Hopefully someone there will realize that they should make the guides round so that damage can be prevented. If it happens just once as it did in my case, the guides become damaged.

Get your cheap frame warrantied. The more people who warranty it the more quickly they will realize how poor their design is.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (08-21-18)
Old 08-21-18, 05:52 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I've found the 2018 RX is a better fit than the 2016, easier to engage in the slot the first time. The 2016 appeared too short (in width) and difficult to get the cover in the slots. I agree that earlier models had a better solution to engage the cover for the rear compartment
Old 08-24-18, 08:47 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
My cargo cover is falling apart! I have attached pics. Has anyone had this happen & how was it resolved?

The cover catches (when extended) are getting chewed up with normal use. Also, there are two felt covered guides that are screwed onto the cover frame. My screws have fallen out & gotten lost, so I’m down to 2 out of 4 screws. This appears to be junk. Why not rivet these guides?
Thanks for the heads-up on the screws. I just took off the felt covered guides and applied some threadlock to the screws reduce the chance of them vibrating loose in the future. As far as the notch that retains the cover at the rear, I agree with you that it is poorly designed. I like the covers that raise and are attached to the hatch, but because our hatch opens narrows towards the top, we cannot have such a setup.

BTW, our RX only has 3609 miles on it and the screws could be loosen by hand.

Last edited by SoCalRX; 08-24-18 at 10:29 AM.