RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cracked windshield lease vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-18, 07:21 PM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cracked windshield lease vehicle

Does anyone know if I have to use 'Lexus' branded windshield which is basically a Pilkington when I turn in the vehicle after the lease is up? I'm assuming Lexus is very strict and must be replaced by their dealer?

We had a road debris.
Old 08-19-18, 09:31 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

No you do not have to replace it with Lexus brand. If you are going to lease another car with same dealer you might not have to replace it at all talk to dealer.
Old 08-20-18, 07:53 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by nukezero
Does anyone know if I have to use 'Lexus' branded windshield which is basically a Pilkington when I turn in the vehicle after the lease is up? I'm assuming Lexus is very strict and must be replaced by their dealer?

We had a road debris.
If you have glass insurance get the correct one installed. Some dealers are extremely picky when they inspect a lease turn-in. Some seemingly couldn't care less. Since you probably don't know which way yours will go, I'd give it some thought.
Old 08-20-18, 12:15 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ravenuer
If you have glass insurance get the correct one installed. Some dealers are extremely picky when they inspect a lease turn-in. Some seemingly couldn't care less. Since you probably don't know which way yours will go, I'd give it some thought.
It doesn't matter how picky some dealers are no one is suppose to return car in same condition as leased. If car was leased with Micheline tires it doesn't have to be returned with Micheline tires, car can be returned with any tires because any tires will comply with standard regulations.
Insurance company will not always replace windshield with branded product. As long as windshield is complaint with current standards no picky dealer will make you replace it. Even dealers do not always replace it with branded product.
Old 08-20-18, 12:42 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldfart
It doesn't matter how picky some dealers are no one is suppose to return car in same condition as leased. If car was leased with Micheline tires it doesn't have to be returned with Micheline tires, car can be returned with any tires because any tires will comply with standard regulations.
Insurance company will not always replace windshield with branded product. As long as windshield is complaint with current standards no picky dealer will make you replace it. Even dealers do not always replace it with branded product.
After thinking it over, I agree with you.
Old 08-20-18, 01:08 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I don't lease so I may not be fully educated on this but the analogy doesn't really make sense since a Michelin tire is not a Lexus proprietary part of the car whereas the windshield might be.
Old 08-20-18, 01:18 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The lease documentation does not require you to use any specific brand of glass for a windshield replacement.
Old 08-20-18, 01:52 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I don't lease so I may not be fully educated on this but the analogy doesn't really make sense since a Michelin tire is not a Lexus proprietary part of the car whereas the windshield might be.
Are you suppose to use Lexus branded motor oil/filter? Or anything from the market?
Old 08-20-18, 06:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Are you suppose to use Lexus branded motor oil/filter? Or anything from the market?
Nope that's governed by Moss Magnuson. What about the in dash audio unit - if that is damaged, you think you can return the car with an aftermarket radio?
Old 08-20-18, 09:34 PM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Alright guys, I will double check. Even SafeLite wants $1245 for the windshield which is incredibly expensive. The 8 inch crack is repaired now and seems to hold up but i know I can turn it in at lease end in 28 months from now.
Old 08-21-18, 06:12 AM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Nope that's governed by Moss Magnuson. What about the in dash audio unit - if that is damaged, you think you can return the car with an aftermarket radio?
You answered your own question.

But you can replace it by non branded product from ebay that looks and performs identical to oem.

Last edited by Oldfart; 08-21-18 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-21-18, 06:20 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this a regular windshield or do you have HUD?
Old 08-21-18, 06:51 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

You answered your own question.

But you can replace it by non branded product from ebay that looks and performs identical to oem.
Makes sense.
Old 08-21-18, 08:33 PM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I do have the HUD and rain sensor. That could be a problem as safelite also asks me if I have that feature.
Old 08-22-18, 04:01 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My understanding is that the HUD windshield has a special coating and is more expensive than the standard.

Quick Reply: Cracked windshield lease vehicle