RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Trailer hitch for RX350L

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 09:56 AM
alolewis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U Haul told me that they had a hitch that would fit my 2018 450HL. I questioned them and they assured me it would fit. When they tried to install it the hitch would not fit, the spare tire was in the way. They suggested removing the spare tire which I would not agree to,. Refunded my money.
Old 04-17-19, 10:17 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Use Curt 13394

Originally Posted by alolewis
U Haul told me that they had a hitch that would fit my 2018 450HL. I questioned them and they assured me it would fit. When they tried to install it the hitch would not fit, the spare tire was in the way. They suggested removing the spare tire which I would not agree to,. Refunded my money.
Curt Hitches has just produced a hitch for the RX 350L. It was scheduled to be released last week, but there’s a slight delay, and now they’re saying next week. Check with e-Trailer in a few weeks and it should show up on their website. The new Curt Hitch is part #13394, will not require removal of the spare, and when mounted the drawbar is not visible. This is the one that I’m going to use, and it’s only going to be used for a Thule bike rack; no towing,

ABOUT THE INSTALLATION: there is a plastic splash cover/guard on the left side frame rail that must be removed for any aftermarket hitch install. It’s very easy to remove, but it has to be cut/modified for proper fitment after the hitch is installed. Trimming is easy, and, if you don’t want to mess with trimming it, you can leave it off. It just prevents mud and snow from accumulating inside the left rear fender. The right side frame rail only requires the removal of a small bracket, and after the hitch install, the bracket goes back without modifications. Overall, the installation process is fairly simple and straightforward. Attached is a pic of the plastic cover on the LH side.

Last edited by xxx350L; 04-17-19 at 10:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dnkyle (04-17-19)
Old 04-17-19, 05:25 PM
dnkyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxx350L
Curt Hitches has just produced a hitch for the RX 350L. It was scheduled to be released last week, but there’s a slight delay, and now they’re saying next week. Check with e-Trailer in a few weeks and it should show up on their website. The new Curt Hitch is part #13394, will not require removal of the spare, and when mounted the drawbar is not visible. This is the one that I’m going to use, and it’s only going to be used for a Thule bike rack; no towing,

ABOUT THE INSTALLATION: there is a plastic splash cover/guard on the left side frame rail that must be removed for any aftermarket hitch install. It’s very easy to remove, but it has to be cut/modified for proper fitment after the hitch is installed. Trimming is easy, and, if you don’t want to mess with trimming it, you can leave it off. It just prevents mud and snow from accumulating inside the left rear fender. The right side frame rail only requires the removal of a small bracket, and after the hitch install, the bracket goes back without modifications. Overall, the installation process is fairly simple and straightforward. Attached is a pic of the plastic cover on the LH side.
Let me know when the hitch are ready.
Thank you
Old 04-22-19, 10:06 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default In stock at e-trailer

Originally Posted by dnkyle
Let me know when the hitch are ready.
Thank you
The Curt Hitch #13394 for RX 350L is now in stock at e-Trailer.com. I just ordered one, cost: $231 plus tax, free shipping. They now have 24 available, and their ph. number is: 1-877-287-8634. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C13394.html

Last edited by xxx350L; 04-22-19 at 09:27 PM.
dnkyle (04-22-19)
Old 04-23-19, 04:30 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RGSW
I'm wondering if the fact that the Spare Tire/Wheel on the RX350L is located under the rear area affects the addition of a trailer hitch??? Whereas the Spare is located inside the back hatch floor on the RX350.
There is a new hitch by Curt Hitch that will work with the RX350L, and the spare remains in factory position. The part number is C13394 and can be found at E-Trailer.com. Cost is: $231.
Old 04-25-19, 07:11 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default Curt hitch

Originally Posted by ftatiger
Waiting for someone to report how well it works for RX350L before purchase.
My Curt Hitch #C13394 will arrive tomorrow. Installation is fairly easy with two people. Hope to have it installed this weekend. I was assured by Curt that the drawbar will be completely hidden behind the rear bumper facia, and that was my main concern. I will be using this hitch for a Thule bike rack. NO towing, so tapping into the wiring harness will not be necessary.
Old 04-27-19, 07:37 AM
Mfd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the results. Are you going to get some pictures of the install as well?

Aaron
Old 04-27-19, 10:04 AM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default Hitch is here

Originally Posted by Mfd
Looking forward to seeing the results. Are you going to get some pictures of the install as well?

Aaron
The Hitch arrived yesterday just as E-Trailer promised; packaged well and no issues with product condition. As I do the installation I will be taking pictures. The 2 in. receiver is definitely offset, so that the rectangular drawbar will be tucked in behind the bumper facia with plenty of clearance around the spare tire. This thing is beefy, so it will be more than adequate for a Thule bike rack and two mtn bikes. Here’s a few pics of the hitch in the box.

ravenuer (04-27-19)
Old 04-27-19, 04:05 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

If you want a receiver hitch plug to pretty it up when not in use, the part number for a 2-inch Lexus logo hitch plug is 00228-60966. I see them on eBay and Amazon for about $12 including shipping.
Old 04-27-19, 04:46 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kansas
If you want a receiver hitch plug to pretty it up when not in use, the part number for a 2-inch Lexus logo hitch plug is 00228-60966. I see them on eBay and Amazon for about $12 including shipping.
Got one, but thank you. If someone steals mine, I’ll know where to find another without paying a premium price at the dealer. This one is actually left over from our 2008 RX 400h.

Old 05-25-19, 07:42 PM
xxx350L
Pit Crew

Default Does not fit. Disappointed.

The Curt Hitch #C13394 doesn’t fit properly; bolt holes don’t line up, and the hidden drawbar interferes with the bumper facia tabs. The e-Trailer website has fitment complaints from those that have used this same hitch on Highlanders...the fix: bend the hitch back to parallel. As for the facia tabs; cut them off. Really? One of their installers chose not to cut them off, but instead, tucked them up behind the drawbar while setting hitch in place. One will not be able to attach the tabs back onto the body. I’m very disappointed because they are fully aware of the alignment issue and blame it on shipping. Shipping didn’t even damage my shipping box, so how did the hitch get so far off on fitment? My guess is it got that way either during the mfg process or finish powder coat process. This install will continue another day AFTER I take my 5 ton hydraulic jack, blocks of wood and attempt to adjust to fit. Curt Mfg or E-Trailer need to place a red or yellow warning tag on the hitch advising the end user to check parallel alignment prior to installation.

Last edited by xxx350L; 05-27-19 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-14-20, 04:51 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2020 RX350L Towing Information!

Hello Lexus RX Community,

I wanted to share nome knowledge that may be helpful related to towing with the RX350L. I purchased a 2020 RX350L on 7/1, this is my 4th RX now and my last one (2017), had the towing prep. At the time of sale, I was interested in obtaining the towing prep and as most have shared, I couldn't find one with the options and color combo I wanted. During the final sale, I enquired about the towing capacity without the prep, I was told 2K without, 3500 with. Well, I went home, researched this forum and confirmed the manual recommends 0 lbs without the tow prep and if one orders the 350L with the bench, its not possible to build one with the towing prep from the factory.

In disbelief that 0 lbs was realistic, I started my research journey too confirm and explore the differences and entertain aftermarket install for tow prep (assumption was that it most likely would be cost prohibitive, I wanted to find out nevertheless).

I have some great surprises to share, here is a summary of what I have found:
  • Radiator - I checked the radiator on the new car lot for a 2020 RX 350L with tow prep. The radiator model # is the same as mine, (31A4). Additionally, I checked Lexus parts and there is only one available for the 2020 RX350L with no tow prep and it is the one WITH the same model #. Conclusion - HD Radiator is installed in my 2020 RX350L with NO tow prep.
  • Transmission "COOLER ASSEMBLY, OIL" - I checked Lexus Parts and there is only 1 available, I checked my vehicle and it is installed. I traced the bottom hoses of the radiator over to the cooler located by the right front passenger tire to validate the presence. A Lexus Service Tech also confirmed the presence of my cooler and confirmed that there is only ONE type to order.... Conclusion - Transmission Engine Oil cooler for tow prep installed in my 2020 RX350L with NO tow prep.
At this point I start to think.. Perhaps with the key engine components of the tow prep installed, the cost of the tow prep is only $265, I always thought was an extremely good cost for the all of the components offered in addition to the wiring..it is right? Perhaps in recent models all of the components where actually added..possibly not here...?What started to make mores sense at least for the 350L is that possibly the only main difference is in the trailer prep wiring. I go back back to the lot and confirm 2 things.
  • 2020 RX350L on the lot WITH tow prep as a "converter" installed (assumed) in the left hand side of the back driver side wheel well. I took a picture of it. (Mine is missing of course)
  • 2020 RX350L on the lot comes with the factory prepped tow harness wire plugged (assumed).
  • 2020 RX350L on the lot has a "pigtail" part #17 - 8218 that splits out to a harness connecter and plugs into a sensor . My pigtail is #16-82180, plugs into sensor and DOES not have the tow wiring harness coming off it.
  • 2020 RX350L on the lot WITH tow prep has the same alternator as mine and there is only 1 available to order. Conclusion - SAME alternator..
After looking at numerous schematics, wiring diagrams and tech material of which I am happy to share, here is my conclusion and result with respect to the wiring harness. There only 2 PARTS needed to replicate the WIRING factory trailer tow prep:
  • I installed #17-82180. After that is installed, I installed my previous wiring towing harness I bought for my last RX350 with tow prep that connected to the prior factory wiring harness...same plug works!
  • I installed from Lexus Part# 81985-YY020 (Actually stamped Toyota on it), RELAY tow converter
I installed and tested - ALL GOOD!! So, I know I now have the wiring of what is considered factory trailer prep, no aftermarket parts and splicing/converters its, no "homeruns" needed to the battery for aftermarket wiring kits and I now have ALL Lexus components installed that leverage the factory prewiring... So, the $265 seems more in line considering Lexus charged me $180.00 for parts. KUDOS to my local Lexus Dealer that helped me work through the jigsaw puzzle on the parts end of things.

So here are my final thoughts::
  • For the RX350L with out the towing prep, perhaps Lexus is hoping you don't tow by stating in the manual that it is not recommended and additionaly they do not make it easy for one to install the factory prep trailer wiring as they do not provide the towing wiring harness "inactive" without the towing prep as they often did in previous models.
  • From a weight perspective, I can understand, the RX350L is 240ish lbs more overall than the standard RX350 and if one gets the bench vs the cabin chairs, there is:
    • 1) An extra body of weight to contend with (take your pick of how large) and
    • 2) The bench HAS to weigh more than the "captain chairs". So, much easier to just state do not tow vs , well if you add Jimmy and Sarah and have the bench vs the captain chairs, PLEASE don't go over X weight without the towing prepped out (oh yes, lets not confuse folks further that may have figured out that the 350L already comes with the mechanical tow prep parts and half the wiring...). In fact I am sure Lexus is pushing the limit of the capacity by allowing towing with the captain chairs alone although I would think Lexus Engineers are conservative when they state "3500 lbs" max towing and ALWAYS over Engineer. That is what we "Engineers" do right?.
  • It make sense that for the ALL RX350Ls, mechanical (ie. HD radiator, alternator, covers, etc..) tow prep parts ARE all installed as the additional vehicle weight of adding the third seat and 2 additional passengers and possibly the bench vs captain chairs plus cargo weight DOES put additional strain on the engine...
  • For my 2020 RX350L I am pretty certain that the HD radiator, transmission and engine cooler assembly and now after my install, the factor towing WIRING is in place.
  • SO, to be conservative, I am thinking that if I stay below #3200 Lbs, that might be a safe #??? The recommended weight is ONLY where I feel personally feel comfortable, I encourage you all to research, share info and come up with your own independent conclusion and decision should you choose to tow with the 350L with no tow prep.
  • I am happy that only 2 parts where need to replicate the factory trailer wiring!

I feel much better now as I really wanted the towing prep and what I have discovered meets my expectations (way better than 0!!)!! I will share some tech pics soon. Best wishes to RX350L folks looking to tow with the non tow prep and bench seats and others that are curious, I hope my findings help you!

Thanks,

Last edited by KCVA350L; 07-14-20 at 06:52 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by KCVA350L:
caguhe (02-26-21), comai8981 (09-28-21), coolsaber (07-14-20), raylor4 (06-10-21)
Old 07-14-20, 05:30 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

2020 RX 350L WITH tow prep - take off the interior rear trim piece on the LH drive side in the rear.

2020 RX 350L WITH tow prep, wiring harness ready for plug in!

2020 RX 350L WITH tow prep, this is the factory Relay convertor installed. Located on the LEFT driver side rear interior wheel well.

2020 RX 350L WITH tow prep from lot - take off the interior rear trim piece on the LH drive side in the rear see...

MY 2020 RX 350L WITH OUT tow prep..This needs to replaced with Part# 17-82180 vs #16.

MY 2020 RX 350L WITH OUT tow prep.. Notice there is NO relay, remove the cap to install the new relay!

NEW Relay for install - sorry the pic is upside down!

NEW relay ready for plug in!

MY 2020 RX 350L WITH NEW Relay installed!

NEW Part# 17-82180 ready for install to replace #16-XXX.

MY 2020 RX 350L with installed tow wire harness installed r...now you need to fish to pigtail through the grommet and install..

MY 2020 RX 350L - The fun part (not really,, a real PITA) , unplug vehicle sensor and install new part #17. the new pigtail connects to body sensor AND provides wire harness for towing whereas part#16 your replacing only connects to body sensor and has NO towing wiring..

MY 2020 RX 350L - this is the plug you need disconnect..I recommend putting a mirror up there like I did, use a small flathead to release the connector.

MY 2020 RX 350L - Another pic of the plug you need disconnect

MY 2020 RX 350L with reconnection to the plug I disconnected (Part#16) and the the new Part#17 with tow wire harness!! I installed my tow wire harness to this and confirmed with a VM, all good!!

INSTALL PICS!

Last edited by KCVA350L; 07-14-20 at 06:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KCVA350L:
benmingli (11-01-21), coolsaber (07-14-20)
Old 07-14-20, 06:24 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

S26 - Relay/tow converter location for install on RX350L with out tow prep
Old 07-14-20, 06:25 PM
KCVA350L
Driver School Candidate

Factory Tow Connector wiring diagram for RX350L.

Quick Reply: Trailer hitch for RX350L