RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Creaking Sounds

Old 06-21-18, 05:28 AM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking Sounds

Has anyone had any issues with creaking noises coming from the rear upper cabin region when experiencing body twist/flex (sloping driveway), or just generally when opening and closing the tailgate? The dealer has advised me it isn't trim related and is currently under investigation. It sounds like an old fishing trawler at the moment, but I've been assured it isn't structural. I have a 2017, RX 350 F Sport. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-18, 06:15 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedroski
Has anyone had any issues with creaking noises coming from the rear upper cabin region when experiencing body twist/flex (sloping driveway), or just generally when opening and closing the tailgate? The dealer has advised me it isn't trim related and is currently under investigation. It sounds like an old fishing trawler at the moment, but I've been assured it isn't structural. I have a 2017, RX 350 F Sport. Thanks in advance.
I had two mayor creaking issues. One was the rear side plastic spoiler trim flexing with the top hatch spoiler trim. I complained to Lexus and they could not reproduced it. I fixed it myself by disassembling the trim pieces and putting a piece of rubber door insulation were the two plastic pieces met.

The second was on the rear floor of the tailgate. Took several complaints to the Lexus dealers until they were able to reproduce it. Then it took them three days to fix it. I don’t remember what it was, but has reoccurred since last year.
Old 06-22-18, 05:27 AM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have heard some creaking - but nothing that really bothered me at all or seemed out of the ordinary. maybe my threshold is higher because our other cars were nearly 12 years old - so they were filled with all sorts of noises.

the only noise i hear periodically and is starting to worry me... is a slight popping sound and can be felt every so slightly in the steering wheel. only happens when the car is stopped at a light and i either move the steering wheel (left or right) or when i left of the brake to start moving on the green light. doesn't happen consistently at every light... but has happened enough that i remember...

please post back when you find the root cause. thank you.
Old 06-22-18, 07:45 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

In this thread I explained my case:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ve-driver.html
Old 06-22-18, 10:05 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a creaking sound that came from the passenger side near the rear wheel. Turns out, my bushings needed some lubrication as they were dry. Dealer took care of it when I mentioned it to them during my oil change service. No other creaking sound that I can tell at the moment.

Best of luck with solving your issue.
Old 06-23-18, 08:34 AM
Pedroski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it me, or does Lexus have a quality control problem with this model? I've had steering, gearbox and air-conditioning issues with this car. Creaks, rattles and vibration. What a dud. I'll keep you posted regarding the creaking noise. Have a sneaky suspicion this has something to do with a failed weld or adhesive considering it isn't trim related.
Old 06-23-18, 09:09 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedroski
Is it me, or does Lexus have a quality control problem with this model? I've had steering, gearbox and air-conditioning issues with this car. Creaks, rattles and vibration. What a dud. I'll keep you posted regarding the creaking noise. Have a sneaky suspicion this has something to do with a failed weld or adhesive considering it isn't trim related.
Whenever you employ mass production of mechanical things, you'll never achieve 100% perfection. Even the Space Shuttle had problems. My RX has been "perfect"......so far!