RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Should I get a lexus RX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-18, 12:44 PM
Jennifer2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a lexus RX?

Hi

This is my first post, I have recently passed my driving test and am struggling to pick a car , I wrote down all the things I wanted and needed from my first car and I asked my friends and family and they all recommended a lexus and some recommend the NX while others reccomrec the RX ( there are more votes for the RX though) , I wanted to ask on here to see if you agree that the RX fits my requirements and if you agree with what they said about it.

What I needed firstly ( by need it was a matter of my health conditions that needed to be taken into account)

1) a quiet car , this is the most important factor and need. One of my health conditions is a condition called tinnitus, it's a condition in one or both ears were you hear a constant loud noise 24\7 like church bells in my case ( if you don't know what it is please read about it to understand whu it's important) loud noise can make it worse by making it even louder and tinnitus can make you very suicidal it's not an easy condition to live with , currently I'm lucky as mine is only mild but everyone on the tinnitus forum told me to make sure that I go for a quiet car so that I don't make it worse. Now I know no car is 100% quiet but I just need one that's not loud most of the family members who own one have said it's in the 50-60db level so is not that loud. Is this true?

2) 2&3 of my needs are because of the same condition , I also suffer with fibromyalgia which means I am in pain all over constantly, when I bend I'm in a lot of pain trying to get into small hatchbacks like minis , fiat 500 and ford focus and Evelyn saloon cars my only option is a SUV and they all said both the RX and NX suits this need.

3) again because of my fibromyalgia , I need a comfty car to drive as i drive a lot of miles ( I woukd driveing 300 miles each week for work, my mom takes me at the moment and that's how I know it's 300) so need a car that is going to be comfty to sit in through them long journeys.

Now the wants

1) reliable ( they all said whatever you get make sure it's a lexil as there middle name is realiabilty, which after researching I saw they came number 1 for reliability. Are they really realiable?

2) good on the motorway since my workplace is 1hour away so 1hr there, 1hrs back and I have to go on the motorway I need a car that's good on the motorway, again all the people who have recommended the RX have said it can hanfha the motorway, do you agree?

3)can fit my dogs in, ( I have no kids and won't be having any in the future another medical condition makes it impossible) I own a giant breed a Bernese mountain dog and a large breed a German shepherd dog, could a RX fit these tow in the back? All my friends and family say yes.

So does the RX tick all my requirements and is everything I've been told by family and friends true?

​​​​​​
Old 05-27-18, 12:56 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Sorry you have to deal with so many issues. My wife is dealing with spinal stenosis and NPH and finds our RX great both to get in and out of and she loves the smooth, quiet ride.
As far as reliability, I'd say Lexus would rank right up there with anything else on the market today.
You will certainly want to check out the back to see how your pooches would fare.
Good luck to you and many safe and happy miles in whatever you get!
Old 05-27-18, 05:48 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Sounds like the RX would be the car for you - NX is smaller and feels it whereas the RX has the space that I think you and the puppies would need. Motorway driving is the RX's forte, it's large and heavy so buzzing around the metro areas is not as good as the NX but on the open road it's wonderful. I regularly do a 700 kms (430 miles) trip each way to visit family and absolutely love driving the RX on the journey.
The RX is very quiet and quieter and more comfortable compared to the NX. Reliability is great although in North America (where you are??) I'd be trying to get a made in Japan version.
Old 05-27-18, 05:49 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Test drive, test drive, test drive. Nobody here can really know how you will feel in any car. Personally, I find the RX incredibly comfortable and fun to drive. We all kmow Lexus has a history of high reliability so we all hope the RX will continue that trend.
Old 05-27-18, 05:49 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Sorry to learn of your health conditions. However, please keep in mind that things could be worse and it doesn't take looking too far to find that individual. I have a 2016 RX (my 4th Lexus and 3rd RX) with luxury package and really enjoy it. My wife has spinal stenosis plus bad back plus a shoulder that surgery failed on. I have two bad shoulders that surgery failed on. Neither of us have any difficulty driving 200-300 miles without discomfort. As for reliability I personally don't think this vehicle can be beaten based upon my experience with mine. Ride quality and quietness is superior. I am a most senior senior and very pickey also.
Good luck always and enjoy whatever you buy. Be happy and feel blessed.
Old 05-28-18, 12:25 AM
Jennifer2
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replys, I am going to test the RX, on the tinnitus forum im a member of a lot of the members said the RX is quieter than the NX and therefore better for my tinnitus.

If anyone who reads my first post wants to awnser the question in the first post you can.

Many thanks to you all.
Old 05-28-18, 10:14 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Sound wise, you should look for an electric car, or at least a hybrid that attenuates the gas explosion required, hense engine sound.

Not many SUV available so far (to have space for the dog) available on the market. There is a Jaguar I-Pace coming up that I have my eye on. You could try the Mitsubishi Oulander PHEV (Pluggable Hybrid Electric Car) that has some autonomy to run electric only, and can switch to hybrid when the battery power gets low.

But for sure the RX is nicely insulated that we can have a low voice conversation and hear well each other.
Old 05-31-18, 08:18 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Sound wise, you should look for an electric car, or at least a hybrid that attenuates the gas explosion required, hense engine sound.
Not many SUV available so far (to have space for the dog) available on the market. There is a Jaguar I-Pace coming up that I have my eye on. You could try the Mitsubishi Oulander PHEV (Pluggable Hybrid Electric Car) that has some autonomy to run electric only, and can switch to hybrid when the battery power gets low.
But for sure the RX is nicely insulated that we can have a low voice conversation and hear well each other.
The Jaguar F-Pace is not as comfortable as the RX and the back seat of the jag is like a buck-board cart, if one wants to go british the land rover discovery is a much more comfortable vehicle.
Old 06-01-18, 10:52 AM
direwolf
Driver School Candidate

We take our 50 lb English Springer Spaniel in our 2017 RX all the time including vacations & he has plenty of room. Just go to Orvis.com and check out there seat covers that are like a hammock to protect your seats. The one we have is ventilated in the front so the rear A/C vent blows through it. Hope this helps

http://www.orvis.com/p/grip-tight-wi...protector/2ect
Old 06-11-18, 07:06 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

not sure what you drive right now, the Rx is quiet car but compared to the LS or LX its not as quiet..due to a recent business trip + fly/sinus i messed up my ears for a short while and i had the ear ringing for like a week. i had a loaner 2018 rx350, i missed my Ls460...alot.
Rx is good but try driving the GX or LX they are both more quiet than the RX. end of the day you still wont go wrong with the RX
Originally Posted by Jennifer2
Hi

This is my first post, I have recently passed my driving test and am struggling to pick a car , I wrote down all the things I wanted and needed from my first car and I asked my friends and family and they all recommended a lexus and some recommend the NX while others reccomrec the RX ( there are more votes for the RX though) , I wanted to ask on here to see if you agree that the RX fits my requirements and if you agree with what they said about it.

What I needed firstly ( by need it was a matter of my health conditions that needed to be taken into account)

1) a quiet car , this is the most important factor and need. One of my health conditions is a condition called tinnitus, it's a condition in one or both ears were you hear a constant loud noise 24\7 like church bells in my case ( if you don't know what it is please read about it to understand whu it's important) loud noise can make it worse by making it even louder and tinnitus can make you very suicidal it's not an easy condition to live with , currently I'm lucky as mine is only mild but everyone on the tinnitus forum told me to make sure that I go for a quiet car so that I don't make it worse. Now I know no car is 100% quiet but I just need one that's not loud most of the family members who own one have said it's in the 50-60db level so is not that loud. Is this true?

2) 2&3 of my needs are because of the same condition , I also suffer with fibromyalgia which means I am in pain all over constantly, when I bend I'm in a lot of pain trying to get into small hatchbacks like minis , fiat 500 and ford focus and Evelyn saloon cars my only option is a SUV and they all said both the RX and NX suits this need.

3) again because of my fibromyalgia , I need a comfty car to drive as i drive a lot of miles ( I woukd driveing 300 miles each week for work, my mom takes me at the moment and that's how I know it's 300) so need a car that is going to be comfty to sit in through them long journeys.

Now the wants

1) reliable ( they all said whatever you get make sure it's a lexil as there middle name is realiabilty, which after researching I saw they came number 1 for reliability. Are they really realiable?

2) good on the motorway since my workplace is 1hour away so 1hr there, 1hrs back and I have to go on the motorway I need a car that's good on the motorway, again all the people who have recommended the RX have said it can hanfha the motorway, do you agree?

3)can fit my dogs in, ( I have no kids and won't be having any in the future another medical condition makes it impossible) I own a giant breed a Bernese mountain dog and a large breed a German shepherd dog, could a RX fit these tow in the back? All my friends and family say yes.

So does the RX tick all my requirements and is everything I've been told by family and friends true?

​​​​​​
Old 06-22-18, 02:04 PM
RXBuff
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We own 2006 and a 2016 RX. We did have a couple of sedans between the 2006 RX and the 2016 RX. I have spinal stenosis and need a replacement of both hips. So, when selecting the 2016, we test drove several sedans and a couple other 4 SUV’s. To my surprise, for a SUV, the noise level of the 2016 RX was as good as the Acura Sedan we test drove and better than the Acura SUV.

We test drove a couple BMW SUV’s. Both were more noisy and rode more rough than the Lexus. For the RX’s superb ride and noise level, the trade-off is a little less handling ability and road feel vs the BMW's.

As we expected before test driving the BMW’s, we found them to be great for handling and road feel. I like those virtues, but greatly preferred the quietness and much more comfortable ride of the RX. In my younger years and before my disabilities that require either crutches or walkers to get around, I may have picked the BMW’s. But now, the question of a non-jarring ride far supersedes handling. So, for my situation, purchasing the RX was a no brainer. BTW, the RX’s seating is quite comfortable for my spinal stenosis condition which is not something that I can find in most seating inside or outside of a car….

Lexus has a reputation of being reliable. Owning a 2005 RX and still owning a 2006 RX and now owning a 2016 RX, reliability has been as good as Consumer Reports and others have said. Since picking up the 2016, we've have needed nothing but routine maintenance.
Old 06-22-18, 02:13 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer2
Hi

Now the wants

​​​​​​
I would not recommend an RX350 with the 8 speed transmission. I would get the Hybrid version. I have owned and leased 4 RXs and I currently have a 2016 RX350 (the first with the 8 speed) and there is a problem with the shifting between 20-40 MPH even after having the Lexus TSB applied to the computer. My lease is up in March and can't wait to get rid of it. There are tons of posts about this issue.
Old 06-22-18, 02:23 PM
Curmudgeon
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the RX might fit the bill. Reliability can't be beat with Lexus.
Check out entry and exit from the RX. It's a bit higher than a sedan and may be easier for you to get in.
On the luxury version you can get the seat extender for support under your legs. That also might be helpful to you.
The trunk is probably big enough. The 350L I have is slightly bigger in the trunk.
The RX appears to be fairly quiet to me, but again a test drive would be in order.
Good luck.
Old 06-22-18, 03:00 PM
RXBuff
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXBuff
We own 2006 and a 2016 RX. We did have a couple of sedans between the 2006 RX and the 2016 RX. I have spinal stenosis and need a replacement of both hips. So, when selecting the 2016, we test drove several sedans and a couple other 4 SUV’s. To my surprise, for a SUV, the noise level of the 2016 RX was as good as the Acura Sedan we test drove and better than the Acura SUV.

We test drove a couple BMW SUV’s. Both were more noisy and rode more rough than the Lexus. For the RX’s superb ride and noise level, the trade-off is a little less handling ability and road feel vs the BMW's.

As we expected before test driving the BMW’s, we found them to be great for handling and road feel. I like those virtues, but greatly preferred the quietness and much more comfortable ride of the RX. In my younger years and before my disabilities that require either crutches or walkers to get around, I may have picked the BMW’s. But now, the question of a non-jarring ride far supersedes handling. So, for my situation, purchasing the RX was a no brainer. BTW, the RX’s seating is quite comfortable for my spinal stenosis condition which is not something that I can find in most seating inside or outside of a car….

Lexus has a reputation of being reliable. Owning a 2005 RX and still owning a 2006 RX and now owning a 2016 RX, reliability has been as good as Consumer Reports and others have said. Since picking up the 2016, we've have needed nothing but routine maintenance.
FWIW and as an addendum to my above post, the RX350 in Consumer Reports is rated No.2 to Audi's No.1 Q7 under the "Luxuy Mid-Size SUV" header. One of the components that this rating consists of, is reliability. BTW, there are more than a dozen vehicles below the RX in CR's ratings. Since buying our initial Lexus RX in 2005, resale, reliability and other traits have landed the RX very high, if not on top, of most reviews and ratings.

If you're interested in a SUV, it would be difficult to impossible to find one better than the RX, especially in the areas of interest to you.

Speaking of the Audi Q7 above, I found it interesting that the Audi Q7 appears to lack a spare tire, doughnut or otherwise, or a space to store one. The Q7 comes with a spay can of goo; which doesn't help if the puncture is of a certain size or in the sidewall. For anyone caught in the position of needing a spare, I wonder what Audi was thinking by not supplying a spare for a luxury vehicle such as the Q7, which is approximately 20% more expensive than a comparable RX350 (non-"L")?
Old 06-23-18, 08:45 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by RXBuff

My wife has spinal stenosis as well. We have a 2010 RAV4 V6 and a 2017 RX350. She finds it slightly easier to get in and out of the RAV, but once in she says there's nothing like the RX!

Quick Reply: Should I get a lexus RX?