RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Driving on the beach (AWD question)

Old 05-21-18, 04:27 AM
whododat
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Driving on the beach (AWD question)

Hello Everyone,
First post.
The wife and I will be looking for a new vehicle within a year and one of the vehicles we are interested in is the RX 350.
Believe it or not, one of our main questions is the capability of the vehicle on sand as we love taking trips to the beach and driving on it.
Has anyone here driven their awd on the beach and how did it perform?

Thank you in advance,

JJ and TJ from NJ

Last edited by whododat; 05-22-18 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-22-18, 07:45 AM
whododat
Rookie

Bueller?, Bueller?....
Old 05-22-18, 08:01 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,322 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Not sure you'll find many buying this model for the beach. Look at Jeeps.
Old 05-22-18, 08:12 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

What have you been driving on the beaches up to now?
Old 05-22-18, 08:15 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by whododat
Hello Everyone,
First post.
The wife and I will be looking for a new vehicle within a year and one of the vehicles we are interested in is the RX 350.
Believe it or not, one of our main questions is the capability of the vehicle on sand as we love taking trips to the beach and driving on it.

Thank you in advance,

JJ and TJ from NJ
The ad when the new generation got launched is on a beach.
But on my side of the globe, I drive on snow and I love it!

Old 05-22-18, 08:56 AM
whododat
Rookie

We currently have a Ram 1500 4x4 with BFG KO2's which I know is the total opposite type vehicle but we are looking to possibly get into something smaller, not a jeep, that is capable on sand as well. Nothing crazy, just cruising on the beach in somewhat safe areas. Not looking to climb sand dunes or anything. We are keeping all of our options open at this time, just wanted feedback, if available.

Thank you for the replies.
Old 05-22-18, 09:57 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The sand on different beaches varies greatly. You can drive any vehicle on Daytona beach – no different that driving on concrete. I’ve been beach driving on Cape Cod for decades. My VW Touareg SUV with stock tires was great on Cape Cod’s very squishy sand. It was every bit as good as my daughter’s Jeep Wrangler with oversized tires. They require you to drop the tire pressure to 12 psi – good idea.
I’d like to take my RX450H out there but it doesn’t look like the 235/55-R20 tires meet the Park Service’s requirements. I’ll have to call them to see if they can make an exception but I’d also have to pick up a full sized spare to meet another requirement.

I’d also like to hear of anyone’s experience with an RX on soft sand.

FWIW: Overall, the Touareg was the most trouble filled car I ever owned. Transmission went at 18k, engine replaced at 35k ($11,000) and lots more - Nothing covered under warranty. I'll never own another German car.
The following 2 users liked this post by RollingBlu:
mcomer (05-22-18), Nail34 (05-22-18)
Old 05-23-18, 02:27 AM
Andrew2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the RX occasionally on Florida beaches, and no issue.
Old 05-23-18, 02:45 AM
whododat
Rookie

Thank you for the replies
Old 05-23-18, 06:43 AM
Richstang
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ah how I miss driving on the beach. Grew up in Dayton Beach and NSB. The RX will do fine. Heck my mustang did fine. :-)
Old 05-23-18, 08:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I've driven my Highland Hybrid on a very soft, loose sand beach without issue. The RX should be fine as long as you are careful.
Old 04-22-19, 07:49 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

An Update: The RX' 20" wheels and stock tires were approved by the Cape Cod US Park Service rangers last Summer. Dropped the pressure to 12 psi all around and had no trouble at all. Up and down dunes, it never faltered. I'll be back this Summer.
Old 11-14-19, 05:45 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Just came across this thread and glad to see there are people reporting good experiences with taking their RX on the sand.

Prior to my RX, I had a JKU wrangler and my family LOVES to go driving on the beach, not climbing sand dunes or anything like that, just driving along the beach. We got rid of the Wrangler in favor of a more practical, spacious, reliable, and fuel efficient vehicle, but was sad to have to let the 4wd with low-range capability go. Am not sure of the long-term effects on the differentials/transmission of the RX from driving in the sand.

Granted there's no 2-speed transfer case here, but at least maybe i'll still be able to get out there every now and then.

To the guys who have taken their RX's out on the beach, do you guys just enable the AWD lock switch and drop the tire pressures? I have the factory f-sport 20's, so wondering if 18-20psi is too low. Don't want to bend the rims if i come across harder sand sections.
Old 11-14-19, 07:32 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

I regularly drive out to Race Point beach on Cape Cod with my R450h. It does just fine with the OEM tires and no special settings. Just drop the tire pressure to 12 PSI. I've been doing this for about 30 years with various 4WD & AWD vehicles. I've learned that low range and sport settings are detrimental to traction in soft sand. Low range makes the throttle to responsive (slips in the sand). Sport settings make the transmission shift too often, losing traction. If the 450h had a Snow/Weather setting I would use that. You need to maintain a steady pace, not too slow, but pick up speed a bit as you approach upgrades. As a precaution, have a tow strap, accurate low pressure tire gauge, small shovel (military type) and a piece of plywood to place a jack on in case of a flat.

My daughter goes out on the dunes with us with her Wrangler and oversized tires. I've never seen a situation where one car or the other had an advantage. ...Well, except that day when she had no top and no doors and a severe sand storm hit. It was so bad that I had to have all the windows replaced on one side of my car due to sand blasting! But my two daughters took the full brunt of the storm in the Wrangler hiding under soaked beach towels.

A few years ago when I had a different SUV and made
of the trip coming off Race Point beach. It will give you an idea of conditions that the Lexus handles without breaking a sweat.

Last edited by RollingBlu; 11-14-19 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (11-14-19)
Old 11-14-19, 07:42 AM
Rpickoff
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by whododat
Hello Everyone,
First post.

Thank you in advance,

JJ and TJ from NJ

used to take my GMC Suburban on the beach. I think you want full-time AWD (or AWD Lock) and be sure to take air out of your tires or you ‘ain’t goin’ nowhere’!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving on the beach (AWD question)