RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-18, 02:32 PM
Amesco1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help

post deleted

Last edited by Amesco1; 07-06-18 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 05:46 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Amesco1

this is the aftermath

Greetings everyone
I bought new 2017 RX350 back in Sept and unfortunately 2 weeks ago someone ran a red light and ran into my driver side ; Car is being repaired (over 20k in repairs) but I spoke to manager of body shop so he can assure they are using original parts and was assured that they are my; biggest concern now is how to figure out what is going to be the diminished value my RX once its repaired.
The manager at the body shop suggested find some who specializes in that area but been online and cant find someone yet.... any one know of a trusted one in Atlanta area or Georgia

Thanks for any help..
IF it's repaired correctly by a quality workshop there shouldn't be any sign of a prior collision so value shouldn't change. That outer door skin will be replaced not repaired.
The following users liked this post:
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-23-18, 06:40 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
IF it's repaired correctly by a quality workshop there shouldn't be any sign of a prior collision so value shouldn't change. That outer door skin will be replaced not repaired.
OP, are you OK? air bag did not deploy? But it'll be recorded on Carfax which will be a handicap. I have habit of not trusting stop sign or red light. Few days ago my wife almost got run over crossing the road going to her bank. A guy ran away after running stop sign.
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-23-18, 06:56 PM
raysmd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Diminished value definitely applies here. I would hope you get at least $5-10k back
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-24-18, 04:39 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I would think that the whole door is to be replaced.
If it was the only part damaged and replaced with new, why then a loss of value? With a repared body, there are risks of corrosion to start and build up. But with new door, like new!
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-24-18, 05:15 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
If it was the only part damaged and replaced with new, why then a loss of value? With a repared body, there are risks of corrosion to start and build up. But with new door, like new!
There is a lot more damage on the vehicle than the damage to the door. Just from the picture, you can see damage to fender and rocker panel. Repairing the car is likely going to require straightening of the car's unibody and may well include damage to the wiring harnesses that run through the area below the door sill. If the initial repair estimate is $20,0000, after everything is torn apart, the final repair cost could well be 50% higher than the initial estimate.

When a car is damaged, say, by a minor front end collision that requires a new bumper and grille and costs $3000, and if the repairs are properly done, there isn't likely to need to be much concern about whether the car will be restored to "like new" condition. On the other hand, when there are $20,000+ worth of repairs done to a car, there can be much more justifiable concern about the car's post-repair condition.

Originally Posted by Htony
But it'll be recorded on Carfax which will be a handicap. .
That might or might not be the case. Accidents show up on a Carfax report only when they are reported by an insurance company, a law enforcement agency, or a body shop. Since many accidents are never reported, whether an accident is ever entered into the Carfax data base is quite hit and miss. I've seen instances where vehicles that have had accidents requiring $10,000-20,000 in repairs have clean Carfax reports, and I've seen instances where minor damage requiring a few hundred dollars in repairs have those repairs entered on the Carfax report.

The bottom line is that, if the Carfax report shows an accident, you know it happened, but, if a car has a clean Carfax report, you can't be certain about whether or not that car has ever been in an accident.

To the OP, good luck with the repairs and with dealing with the insurance companies.

Last edited by lesz; 04-24-18 at 05:19 AM.
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-24-18, 05:32 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

if there is no frame damage to change the title status to salvage and the repair is sound, there shouldn't be a significant change in value.
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-24-18, 05:37 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

In here, if the frame is affected, it is totaled.
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-24-18, 07:03 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
Diminished value definitely applies here. I would hope you get at least $5-10k back
Back from whom?
Old 04-24-18, 08:43 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Trade value gets hit bigtime if there's frame damage.
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-25-18, 10:48 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

If the repair is done right and you plan on keeping the car a long time, I wouldn't worry about it.
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 04-26-18, 10:51 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
Because the accident is recorded in Carfax or equivalent and buyer will knock price down because of it.
Old 04-30-18, 11:00 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Hope no serious injuries. As for your repair concerns I would call the nearest Lexus or Toyota dealer to recommend a shop using all OEM parts like you said. Carfax is hit or miss if it's reported. It's a decent tool to help with some car history. After repair if your car is a lease I would turned it in early or when it expires. With $20k or more on any repair I wouldn't have the same confidence in my $50-$60k SUV again.
That's just how I would feel....
Amesco1 (05-04-18)
Old 05-02-18, 01:30 PM
Fgcain
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
after37 yrs owning collision repair shop my professional opinion is the driver's door will not require skin it's going to need a complete door shell assembly also the left rocker panel will be necessary to replace the left front fender will be replaced this should be done with all new Lexus parts not used and they don't make any aftermarket for it as far as your diminished value against you will have to contact the insurance company paying for the repair you will need to file a claim with them for diminished value the vehicle will definitely have diminished value just simply because of the amount of work being performed it will show on the carfax report when you trade it in and trust me the dealer your trading it to will use every tool has disposable to lower the value of your trade that's where your diminished value comes in good luck
The following 2 users liked this post by Fgcain:
Amesco1 (05-04-18), ravenuer (05-03-18)
Old 06-14-18, 04:53 PM
Amesco1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Insurance company ended up with roughly a 21,900 bill for repair plus almost 1350 for car rental and a 350 initial estimate by an independent agent.

and it looks they are estimating a 2600 for diminish value.

does it seem reasonable the amount for devaluation of vehicle??

Last edited by Amesco1; 06-14-18 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some help