RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Which Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-18, 07:21 AM
RollingBlu
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which Tire?

Just passing along a crazy story with a good ending.

My Right REAR tire had a slow leak – it lost a few PSI every week. That rim also had a very slight scratch on it. My local tire dealer found a nail on the edge of the thread & sidewall so I needed a new tire which he ordered. It took a few days to get it – he wanted to install it on Friday but it was scheduled for Lexus service that day. We settled on Monday for the new tire.

On Monday, they put the new tire on the Right REAR as planned. The following Saturday, I was checking tire pressure all around with a gauge and noticed that the Right FRONT had the wheel with the scratch. OMG! Lexus rotated the tires so the wrong one was replaced ($230!) and I still have the bad tire on the car.
Not Lexus’ fault, not the tire dealer’s fault either. I also noticed that the tire dealer put a new scrape in the previously good Right Rear wheel.

I headed back to the tire store hoping that they might still have the tire they removed – No such luck! I explained my situation to the manager and showed him the damaged wheel. I assured him that I didn’t blame his shop for the mix up. He apologized profusely for the damaged wheel and agreed to send it out for repair and then he offered to replace the leaking tire gratis! Is that unbelievable? He bought me a new tire to compensate for damaging a wheel. This guy earned a customer for life (I told him so) and left generous tip. So, at the end of this debacle, I ended up with two new tires for the price of one. Sometimes things work out.
Old 04-20-18, 08:25 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingBlu
Just passing along a crazy story with a good ending.

My Right REAR tire had a slow leak – it lost a few PSI every week. That rim also had a very slight scratch on it. My local tire dealer found a nail on the edge of the thread & sidewall so I needed a new tire which he ordered. It took a few days to get it – he wanted to install it on Friday but it was scheduled for Lexus service that day. We settled on Monday for the new tire.

On Monday, they put the new tire on the Right REAR as planned. The following Saturday, I was checking tire pressure all around with a gauge and noticed that the Right FRONT had the wheel with the scratch. OMG! Lexus rotated the tires so the wrong one was replaced ($230!) and I still have the bad tire on the car.
Not Lexus’ fault, not the tire dealer’s fault either. I also noticed that the tire dealer put a new scrape in the previously good Right Rear wheel.

I headed back to the tire store hoping that they might still have the tire they removed – No such luck! I explained my situation to the manager and showed him the damaged wheel. I assured him that I didn’t blame his shop for the mix up. He apologized profusely for the damaged wheel and agreed to send it out for repair and then he offered to replace the leaking tire gratis! Is that unbelievable? He bought me a new tire to compensate for damaging a wheel. This guy earned a customer for life (I told him so) and left generous tip. So, at the end of this debacle, I ended up with two new tires for the price of one. Sometimes things work out.

That's great!