RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Vibration at speeds over 80 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 07:51 AM
javapro
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So, what's the first thing the dealer should do besides visually inspecting the rims and tires for bents, cracks, etc.? Road force balance?
Old 04-05-18, 08:28 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Out of round is a condition that may have happened when the tire was made, so they should check for that as well. The old way to test it was jack the wheel up, put a coke bottle next to it touching the tread, rotate the tire and see if the bottle moves or falls over. I'm sure they have better ways now!
Old 04-05-18, 09:38 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,338 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by javapro
I doubt it's an out of round issue. I got the car when it had 10 miles on it and felt the vibrations right on the next day.
Correct - the tire may have left the factory in an out of round condition. I've had that happen after replacing tires.
Old 04-05-18, 11:24 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

javapro: A vibration that's always there at a certain speed would be easy to duplicate with a service rep aboard. Only thing is....not sure they want to be test driving it at over 80mph!
Old 04-05-18, 11:51 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact issue with new standard RX I purchased in October which came with Michelins. Slight Vibration in pedal/seat.this would occur at various speeds from 60-80mph. Dealer replaced 2 tires saying they were unable to properly balance(out of round). Got car back, better but not gone. Dealer then replaced one of the new tires saying it still wasnt right.Foreman took ride with me again. I still felt slight vibration but said I would give tires some time to break in and well address later. I wound up bringing car to Direct Tire. They roadforced balanced two rear tires. Both 1/2 ounce off. Now perfect. Cost me $50 but I knew it would be done right. Dealership rushes thru this stuff to get cars through the service dept. I dont think they roadforced the two new tires they installed.
Old 04-05-18, 12:48 PM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by Ssteigss
I had the exact issue with new standard RX I purchased in October which came with Michelins. Slight Vibration in pedal/seat.this would occur at various speeds from 60-80mph. Dealer replaced 2 tires saying they were unable to properly balance(out of round). Got car back, better but not gone. Dealer then replaced one of the new tires saying it still wasnt right.Foreman took ride with me again. I still felt slight vibration but said I would give tires some time to break in and well address later. I wound up bringing car to Direct Tire. They roadforced balanced two rear tires. Both 1/2 ounce off. Now perfect. Cost me $50 but I knew it would be done right. Dealership rushes thru this stuff to get cars through the service dept. I dont think they roadforced the two new tires they installed.
So, basically I should insist on them to check out of round and then road force balance existing tires (the replacement ones if out of round)?
Old 04-05-18, 06:01 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Years ago I purchased expensive Pirelli P7s for another car and one of them was "out of round". It happens, quality control must not be a tyre manufacturers strong point - after 12 months all four tyres started peeling on the side walls which they replaced under warranty. What's that saying "You get what you pay for" - yeah right.
Old 04-06-18, 07:58 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

So, basically I should insist on them to check out of round and then road force balance existing tires (the replacement ones if out of round)?
yes once u say vibration at highway speeds first thing they will check is balancing. Take tech for test drive(you drive). That way you can get up to 80mph and demonstrate. If they repair it take it for another drive before you accept back.
Old 04-06-18, 09:25 AM
javapro
Driver

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will go to the dealer and report back.
Old 04-06-18, 11:21 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

What is the "road force" process? Is it done on a machine? What speed do they balance test?
Old 04-06-18, 11:31 AM
Ssteigss
Driver School Candidate

Just google it or youtube. Tires are put in a machine that simulates it riding on road surface. Its a bit long to explain but its basically a much more precise wheel balancing machine and often helps tech identify and fix vibration issues regular balancers cannot. It is dependent on the skill of the operator as well.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (04-06-18)
Old 12-24-18, 08:42 PM
javapro
Driver

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will go to the dealer and report back.
So, I had to go in for my first (5K) service recently and mentioned to the dealer my vibration issue. Of course, they couldn't replicate it because they wouldn't drive over the speed limit. After some back and forth they finally agreed to road-force balance all the tires for free as part of the warranty. The mechanic who did the balancing told me that all the four tires were pretty much balanced dead on. I think he said one was slightly off. He rotated them using the X pattern as well as part of the 5K service. I drove my car at 80+ mph a few times and even though it seems like I don't feel the vibration as much it is still there. Could it be because of the Bridgestone Ecopia tires that I have? I've been reading in this forum that Ecopias are much harder and noisier than Michelins. I had Michelins on my previous RX (2016 RX 350) and it drove smoothly even at 100 mph.
Old 12-24-18, 09:19 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

When you take it for an 80 run is it always on the same road - could the road be the problem.

I mention this because a freeway I frequent has a section that must have very small undulations that makes the car feel like it's vibrating badly, the first time it happened was a bit scary, "what's wrong with the car", but I'm use to it now.
Old 12-25-18, 09:26 AM
javapro
Driver

Originally Posted by GSFRX350
When you take it for an 80 run is it always on the same road - could the road be the problem.

I mention this because a freeway I frequent has a section that must have very small undulations that makes the car feel like it's vibrating badly, the first time it happened was a bit scary, "what's wrong with the car", but I'm use to it now.
Yes, I know what you are referring to but it's not one of those grooved surface highways. I tested on a pretty smooth part of the road.
Old 12-26-18, 09:09 AM
ut2sua
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

So, I had to go in for my first (5K) service recently and mentioned to the dealer my vibration issue. Of course, they couldn't replicate it because they wouldn't drive over the speed limit. After some back and forth they finally agreed to road-force balance all the tires for free as part of the warranty. The mechanic who did the balancing told me that all the four tires were pretty much balanced dead on. I think he said one was slightly off. He rotated them using the X pattern as well as part of the 5K service. I drove my car at 80+ mph a few times and even though it seems like I don't feel the vibration as much it is still there. Could it be because of the Bridgestone Ecopia tires that I have? I've been reading in this forum that Ecopias are much harder and noisier than Michelins. I had Michelins on my previous RX (2016 RX 350) and it drove smoothly even at 100 mph.
I have the 20" Ecopia's on my RX4 and they are quiet at high speed.

Quick Reply: Vibration at speeds over 80 mph