RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 08:59 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Trap
Computer sometimes complains that driver is not holding the wheel and disengages the lane assist - when it's probably needed most. The radar cruise follows distance well.
The red part is not true, at least on 4RX.
Old 09-02-19, 09:25 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Is dealer able to calibrate lane centering? I do a lot of highway cruise driving and the lane centering keeps pulling to the right too much on my '17
Old 09-02-19, 07:22 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

After having my 19 RX F-Sport for a couple of weeks, I got to play with the Adaptive cruise today for the first time.

I did did notice it seemed to hug the right side of the lane. A couple of times it felt as though it was way over the right side line and I had to grab the wheel.

I need to to look into the settings and see if I have everything set up correctly.
Old 09-03-19, 09:04 AM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I went into the settings for this and found a few.

Has as anyone compared the differences between:

Sensitivity? EACH SETTING
Sway Sensitivity? EACH SETTING
Old 09-03-19, 10:47 AM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteghost
After having my 19 RX F-Sport for a couple of weeks, I got to play with the Adaptive cruise today for the first time.

I did did notice it seemed to hug the right side of the lane. A couple of times it felt as though it was way over the right side line and I had to grab the wheel.

I need to to look into the settings and see if I have everything set up correctly.
make sure lane centering is turned on in the instrument panel menu.
Old 09-03-19, 11:14 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Earlier in this thread i put a post saying IMHO this was a novelty and not to be trusted. And conversely i LOVE radar cruise control and consider that seriously helpful and reliable. So approaching this from the other side...Does ANYBODY find the lane centering actually very useful and if so how do they use it and how do they find it particularly useful. I always find that it overshoots and if there are cars around you would have to take control of the steering wheel of for sure you would collide. Conversely, with radar cruise control, even though i always have my foot ready just in case, I have not had one time where I HAD to use it. I have of course had times when i preferred to take over but I don't believe I ever would have collided with the car in front if I didn't take over. And looking at this thread I see people suggesting having the centering adjusted etc. Has anybody actually done that? Does anybody feel comfortable "letting" the car to steer with the same reliability as "letting" the radar cruise control do its thing?
Old 09-03-19, 11:32 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

My own experience has been that Lane Centering is only acceptable on limited access roads, fairly straight. Once you get into even modest curves, even on higher speed roads, it is a little too harsh in correcting for a curve versus manual control. Not unsafe, but not smooth at all. Steering assist is helpful, and I don't find that abrupt at all, just a nudge most times.
Old 04-19-20, 06:48 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lane Centering and/or Lane Assist is not working

Getting ready for my 30,000 mile service on our Certified 2017 RX 350. The Lane Centering and/or Lane Assist is not working. If I turn both on and experiment by letting the car drift to the left or right it is not nudged back into the lane. The Alert is working, both vibrating steering wheel and audio alert. I anticipated it might "ping pong" but it does nothing, just lets the car drift onto the shoulder or across the center line. I am prepared for the dealership to act "dumb as a post" and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Bill
Old 04-19-20, 11:06 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by bsekf
Getting ready for my 30,000 mile service on our Certified 2017 RX 350. The Lane Centering and/or Lane Assist is not working. If I turn both on and experiment by letting the car drift to the left or right it is not nudged back into the lane. The Alert is working, both vibrating steering wheel and audio alert. I anticipated it might "ping pong" but it does nothing, just lets the car drift onto the shoulder or across the center line. I am prepared for the dealership to act "dumb as a post" and am wondering if anyone else has had this problem? Bill
There is a setting to activate this nudge and it's somewhere in settings (can't remember where) where you select keep in lane centre or words to this effect.
Old 04-19-20, 05:14 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

I strongly disliked the vibrating steering wheel when I drove the demonstrator -- I told the salesman and he said he hates it too, and everyone he knows turns it off. I turned it off on my new 2018 and I haven't thought of it since. It is a PITA, in my opinion -- I don't know why you would trust it or want to use it. My RX is a great car, with a stupid (turned off) feature.
Old 04-20-20, 06:08 AM
bsekf
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I know how to turn it on and off. It is not working correctly when turned on and I am preparing arguments for when the dealer doesn't want to understand.

To each his own, but I like the alert (vibrating steering wheel), it reminds me I am out of the lane and didn't use the turn signal. The Lane Centering and Lane Assist, not so much.... but it's a $50K car and it should work properly.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (04-20-20)
Old 04-20-20, 07:47 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I strongly disliked the vibrating steering wheel when I drove the demonstrator -- I told the salesman and he said he hates it too, and everyone he knows turns it off. I turned it off on my new 2018 and I haven't thought of it since. It is a PITA, in my opinion -- I don't know why you would trust it or want to use it. My RX is a great car, with a stupid (turned off) feature.
Agree with you. It was turned off as soon as I got it home from the dealer. There are times when I choose to slightly veer out of my lane. I'm 73, been driving since I was 15 and can't really remember not being able to stay in my lane, unless as I said, I chose not to. If I ever get to the point where I need my car to help me stay in my lane, then perhaps I should hang up my keys!
But of course that's only my opinion, everyone is entitled to do as they wish and all the options on your car should work as designed.
BMP2CPM (05-22-20)
Old 04-20-20, 10:19 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Agree with you. It was turned off as soon as I got it home from the dealer. There are times when I choose to slightly veer out of my lane. I'm 73, been driving since I was 15 and can't really remember not being able to stay in my lane, unless as I said, I chose not to. If I ever get to the point where I need my car to help me stay in my lane, then perhaps I should hang up my keys! But of course that's only my opinion, everyone is entitled to do as they wish and all the options on your car should work as designed.
I'm with you, youngster! but while WE may not need there are so many others who get so distracted with all the "crap" we have on our cars today that they need all the help they can get. I remember when one selected a car based on how well it handled, braked and not on how many cup-holders it had or what sync'd with your cell phone. I'd love to have technology control only the fuel supply to the engine and A/C, but I'll never see that again
Old 04-20-20, 02:02 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 681 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
I remember when one selected a car based on how well it handled, braked and not on how many cup-holders it had or what sync'd with your cell phone. I'd love to have technology control only the fuel supply to the engine and A/C, but I'll never see that again
Yep, got my first driver's license in 1967, driving a 1953 Chrysler station wagon, but I'd already been driving my father's pickup truck on the farm. I'm with you on all the "assistants" technology, although I do love the big navigation display and the backup camera. That navigation display is so helpful when you're in an unfamiliar area looking for a particular street ahead.

90% of my driving is on suburban streets and country roads. The center line is kind of a suggestion in a lot of places, where you can see no one is coming the other way. In this environment, the LKA is just an annoyance.
The following 2 users liked this post by dibl:
BMP2CPM (05-22-20), ravenuer (04-20-20)
Old 04-21-20, 02:44 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

He, He, I got my drivers license in 1956 in a ****** Jeepster. I love and use every bit of technology in the RX, and wish there was more.
ravenuer (04-21-20)

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering