RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-19, 10:04 AM
RXLORMDX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus 2019 RX 350 L

Does the (2019 Lexus RXL 350) Lane Keep Assist feature actually work? Does it keep you in the center of the road and, if so, for how long? Thanks! Love Club Lexus!

Last edited by RXLORMDX; 04-06-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-06-19, 10:59 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Lane Keep Assist gives a Steering Assist, a gentle short term tug as the car approaches a yellow or white line. It vibrates the wheel if the car veers too far (Lane Departure). If you have Cruise Control on, you can engage Lane Centering which is much more aggressive and does fairly well keep you centered. Fine on a good limited access road but if you are on a highway, even 4 lane, that has more abrupt curves it is more aggressive than I like so I don't use it in those situations. There are sensitivity settings in the center display. On all you need to maintain steering wheel control and it will give an alert after maybe 15 seconds or so, and then disengages if you don't react.
Old 04-07-19, 09:40 AM
DyaDya
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A quick IMHO editorial. I agree with what i saw somebody else write in another post somewhere: "It is more of a novelty". To me, the radar cruise control is super awesome and super useful. The lane centering is more like constant experimentation to see how well it does. AND ALWAYS BEING SUPER MINDFUL while you are playing with it. Im sure if there was a car next to you, you would hit it as the car was correcting back to the center. It "works" but my tires are always going at least on the line very often as its turning back to the center which means the car is definitely overhanging into the next lane (ie potential collision). My advice: radar cruise control: AWESOME, but lane centering: play with it for pretty much entertainment purposes only.
Old 04-07-19, 10:41 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by DyaDya
A quick IMHO editorial. I agree with what i saw somebody else write in another post somewhere: "It is more of a novelty". To me, the radar cruise control is super awesome and super useful. The lane centering is more like constant experimentation to see how well it does. AND ALWAYS BEING SUPER MINDFUL while you are playing with it. Im sure if there was a car next to you, you would hit it as the car was correcting back to the center. It "works" but my tires are always going at least on the line very often as its turning back to the center which means the car is definitely overhanging into the next lane (ie potential collision). My advice: radar cruise control: AWESOME, but lane centering: play with it for pretty much entertainment purposes only.
And never never use lane centering when being followed by a State Trooper!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Nail34:
jamesss711 (03-29-23), spineman (01-29-21)
Old 04-07-19, 10:57 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Nail34
And never never use lane centering when being followed by a State Trooper!!
lol
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie420:
jamesss711 (03-29-23), mspearl95 (09-03-19)
Old 04-07-19, 11:40 AM
shadowmite
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look into openpilot if you want real self driving, the Lexus feature is more gimmick than real. But the car has the needed hardware to enable this.
Old 04-07-19, 10:24 PM
qvtruong
Pole Position

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowmite
Look into openpilot if you want real self driving, the Lexus feature is more gimmick than real. But the car has the needed hardware to enable this.
It's helpful for me when I stuck in stop and go traffic...like at 5-10mph.
Old 04-08-19, 08:34 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Without cruise control on, I never experienced steering assistance on my 17 RX350. Maybe I should visit dealer.
Old 04-08-19, 09:35 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Is Steering Assist turned on in the center display? Go to the Gear on the center display, read all the options.
Old 04-09-19, 11:51 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Steering Assist is on. I tried multiple times yesterday and this morning without cruise on. The best I can tell is sometimes MAYBE it steered while vibrating. Most times, it just crossed the white line without any correction action (at least it vibrated).

On my rental Hyundai and Subaru, I could feel the steering assist clearly when cruise was off.
Old 04-09-19, 02:00 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

I can feel the assist (kind of a pull rather than any abrupt motion--and it sometimes will still let you get to the line and vibrate. It almost seems to work better at 60 mph than 35), probably needs a dealer visit. The camera may be out of alignment or not recognizing the lines. Works with or without cruise, but not as aggressive as Lane Centering on cruise.
Old 04-10-19, 11:32 AM
guxu
Pole Position

I think I got it. Yesterday when I was on highway, I purposely drove over the right side line and did not immediately correct it when the steering wheel was vibrating. Then I noticed it steered itself, smoothly. With cruise control on, it (Lane Centering) steers way before it starts vibrating. I believe Hyundai and Subaru can do Lane Centering without cruise.
Old 04-10-19, 01:48 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

You can also see when it is working when the little car symbol in the gauge center display turns green
Old 04-13-19, 10:52 AM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a Honda Ridgeline truck for hours on I-95 without ever needing to be touching the wheel. Stayed dead center in the lane, speed adjusted automatically to traffic, and needed zero driver input.

Lexus rarely follow the lane in most circumstances other than a straight line. Computer sometimes complains that driver is not holding the wheel and disengages the lane assist - when it's probably needed most. The radar cruise follows distance well. Cruise fails miserably on roads that change elevation up\down in ranges under 1/4 mile or less - when set at 35mph will vary from 28 to 43mph as it hunts for the correct engine rpm and transmission gear. Shows off the car's awful hesitation problem often.
Old 04-13-19, 11:36 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Trap
I drove a Honda Ridgeline truck for hours on I-95 without ever needing to be touching the wheel. Stayed dead center in the lane, speed adjusted automatically to traffic, and needed zero driver input.

Lexus rarely follow the lane in most circumstances other than a straight line. Computer sometimes complains that driver is not holding the wheel and disengages the lane assist - when it's probably needed most. The radar cruise follows distance well. Cruise fails miserably on roads that change elevation up\down in ranges under 1/4 mile or less - when set at 35mph will vary from 28 to 43mph as it hunts for the correct engine rpm and transmission gear. Shows off the car's awful hesitation problem often.
What year is your RX?

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering