RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 09:32 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

And it also depends on how big the curve is.

To me, LKA + Radar Cruise Control = teenage driver with learner's permit. You need to keep an eye on it and correct it from time to time.
Old 03-01-18, 10:07 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,344 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by guxu
And it also depends on how big the curve is.

To me, LKA + Radar Cruise Control = teenage driver with learner's permit. You need to keep an eye on it and correct it from time to time.
For me, LKA is disabled always. No thanks.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
BMP2CPM (04-30-20), RetireeZ (06-30-21)
Old 03-01-18, 12:26 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mikemu30
For me, LKA is disabled always. No thanks.
Me too. See no reason for it.
(and get off my lawn!)
Old 03-01-18, 09:43 PM
vitalyf007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admin I'm confused. First, I was driving on a five-lane highway. I was expecting LKA to try to keep me in the lane *I was in* at the time I engaged it and not try to steer me out of it into lane to the left of me. I checked the settings and "Lane Centering" option is "On" (never changed it). I will do some more experimenting, but I would think if the settings are the default, the behavior is totally unexpected...
Old 03-01-18, 09:43 PM
vitalyf007
Driver School Candidate

Sorry, forgot to mention... @guxu asked above if the curve was big. No, there was no curve (almost none)...
Old 03-01-18, 10:42 PM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by vitalyf007
I have to admin I'm confused. First, I was driving on a five-lane highway. I was expecting LKA to try to keep me in the lane *I was in* at the time I engaged it and not try to steer me out of it into lane to the left of me. I checked the settings and "Lane Centering" option is "On" (never changed it). I will do some more experimenting, but I would think if the settings are the default, the behavior is totally unexpected...
Did you have the radar cc active??
Old 03-01-18, 10:45 PM
vitalyf007
Driver School Candidate

I do have radar CC on, yes (also the default). I have not yet tried to turn that off...
Old 03-02-18, 05:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,344 Likes on 1,692 Posts

I do have radar CC on, yes (also the default). I have not yet tried to turn that off...
I think the question is was it engaged. Having cruise on doesn't do anything unless it's engaged.
Old 03-02-18, 06:55 AM
guxu
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

It sounds like you are talking about the setting, not the real radar CC... When you start your car, the radar CC is off by default. You have to turn it on and engage it.

Occasionally LKA steered me out of the straight lanes. But it was not common.
Old 03-02-18, 10:56 AM
vitalyf007
Driver School Candidate

I think radar CC was on but was not engaged. I have HUD and I saw lane indicators on the left and right (solid lines indicating it can see the pavement markings) and also I saw three horizontal bars in the middle indicating radar CC sensitivity (I was able to adjust that from the steering wheel button). I also did not have a car icon on top of the horizontal sensitivity bar nearly all the way until the very end when someone changed lanes in front of me (into my lane). All the other time there was nobody in front of me close enough).

In short, I think radar CC was ON but was NOT ENGAGED.
Old 03-02-18, 11:28 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

How do you access lane centering settings?
Old 03-02-18, 11:51 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I think radar CC was on but was not engaged. I have HUD and I saw lane indicators on the left and right (solid lines indicating it can see the pavement markings) and also I saw three horizontal bars in the middle indicating radar CC sensitivity (I was able to adjust that from the steering wheel button). I also did not have a car icon on top of the horizontal sensitivity bar nearly all the way until the very end when someone changed lanes in front of me (into my lane). All the other time there was nobody in front of me close enough).

In short, I think radar CC was ON but was NOT ENGAGED.
Love the hud, so glad I ordered it.
Don't understand the on but not engaged. If you had the distance bars, and car at the top at times, lines on the side, it was most definitely engaged it sounds
Old 03-02-18, 11:57 AM
vitalyf007
Driver School Candidate

I had distance bars, but NO CAR on the top all the time (except a brief moment at the very end). My definition for "radar CC ENGAGED" = It is on, there is a car in front, it is following that car. "radar CC ON but not engaged" = It is on, there isn't any car in front, if there were a car it would be engaged... I'm hoping these definitions make it clear. I'm still unhappy about the fact that it steers me clear out of the lane and will try to go with "Lane Centering" turn off and radar CC turned off...
Old 03-02-18, 01:32 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
How do you access lane centering settings?
It's in the multi-function display between the gauges. Settings gear wheel. Only works when Cruise Control is on
Old 03-02-18, 02:20 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Whats with all the hate?

I love the lane centering assist function.

I love how I can guide the wheel instead of have my gripping my hands tighter on the wheel. It really helps me make sure I'm in the center of the lane. Less mental fatigue.

I realize it makes me sound dumb and less focused but honestly, driving the toyota without this feature actually makes a difference.
The following users liked this post:
BMP2CPM (04-30-20)

Quick Reply: Lane Keep Assist and Lane Centering