RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Old 04-27-16, 10:18 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

I got no reply in another thread so I am asking here.

A couple people said
"I hope my rx doesn't come with the bridgestone..."

and

"I refused to accept my RX 350 F Sport unless they changed the tires. They switched out the rim/tires with another RX.

This is a known complaint with Lexus."

So my question to the general forum is, what's the apparent problem people have with Bridgestones on their RX? I have them on mine and my initial opinions are
a. they are very quiet and smooth-riding.
b. they look good and have decent rain treads.
c. they handle this 4200lb vehicle in corners very well.
d. they fill out the wheel wells just fine.

I have the 18s. To me, 18" rims are pretty substantial and are not "too small" for this vehicle even given its fairly fat fuselage. My tacoma has 16s, my stepson's 2010 Highlander has 17s, etc. those are more than adequate for those vehicles.
In my own opinion, 20" rims look fine on the 4RX because that fat body sort of fits them. To my eye, the 18"-to-20" difference is negligible because the more rim you have, generally the less sidewall you have...so I have more side wall rubber showing than the 20" guys so what?
Is the above point what the complaints are about with Bridgestones?
Please fill me in folks.
Old 04-27-16, 10:51 AM
yermolovd
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think people view Bridgestones as inferior to Michelins, due to reviews and online ratings or their own previous experience. I don't have fist hand experience with Bridgestones, so I can not quantify of prove anything.
At first, I thought we are getting Bridgestones, because the demo vehicle we looked at had them. I sort of made peace with that after some online research. When we switched over from winters recently, I was pleasantly surprised that we actually got Michelins.
For RX we have Michelins, both winter and rest of seasons. My other car has Michelins (PSS).
I think Bridgestones are a fine tire, Lexus wouldn't be completely stupid to choose bad tires. You probably get more wear out of Michelins, at least thats the impression I got based on all feedback on their tires online, they do seem to last well.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 04-27-16, 11:06 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I was one of the guys that commented on the Bridgestones. I have no problem with them, but Lexus stated that the RX350 was to come with Michelins. Apparently there was a lot of testing with Michelin to ensure a good overall tire for this vehicle.

When I contacted Lexus I was told that they have another choice if they run out of Michelin. Supply and demand stuff.

I have owned many types of tires over my 56 vehicles. I am not partial to one brand. I look for a good tire for the application. My thoughts on the Michelin/Bridgestone on the RX350 was that the Michelin would be a better rain tire. I'm no expert but do have experience in this area.

I suspect that most users may not even be able to tell the difference.

The Bridgestone seems to have a stiffer sidewall than the Michelin when I test drove both.

Remember that both tires are made for OEM applications. OEM tires are very slightly different than replacements.

I have had an excellent history with Michelin, and very limited with Bridgestone.

The Bridgestone meets all load and speed requirements.

If you have Bridgestone or Michelin you have a good OEM tire.

I just prefer to start with Michelin.
The following 3 users liked this post by FastFord:
Danushie (07-04-21), Endopax (11-22-19), raylor4 (02-12-21)
Old 04-27-16, 11:55 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

People may think as they want but I have, after near 10K on my 4RX, no complaints. In fact I would say they are more quiet than I would have expected, smooth and corner well. Even wet traction is great.

About ready to trade the 4RX, this weekend, but I can not say I would not have have these tires again and I have always been a Michelin man!
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 04-27-16, 02:58 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

I appreciate the informative replies-thanks.
Yermolovd-I too, am making peace with these tires being a staunch Michelin guy myself, like RXOwner. I did a little nosing around and found the these Bridgestones are "run-flats" too! I also noted the max tire PSI on their sidewalls is 56lbs.! I am assuming that the run-flats have more rubber at the tread and sides and air pressure is a bigger part of their construct than normal tires?. I am running them at 35PSI, doorplate says 33. They sit and ride fine there.
FastFord, I would book you as a car "guru" having owned 56 vehicles! Hell I only have owned 15 including this RX in my driving career and I am 55! Three of those were brand new including this RX.
I cannot imagine having gone through over 50 vehicles in any lifetime lol!
I think I will take the stuff you post in here as word.
RXOwner-why are you getting rid of that RX???
Old 04-27-16, 05:29 PM
jrzjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife's 2007 RX has Michelin's and is one the second set (76000 miles) and has had no problems snow or rain.
I have a 2015 Ranger Rover Sport and have Michelin's on it. Completely different, horrible in the snow although they say M/S on them.

p.s. she's picking up her 2016 tomorrow and that on will also have Michelin's.
Old 04-27-16, 07:54 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Bridgestones are fine IMO. I have the 18" wheels. I always prefer Michelins, but it is luck of the draw when it comes to tires.
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 04-27-16, 08:56 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Bridgestone's and switched to Michelin's and never went back.
Old 04-28-16, 01:58 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

not saying the Brigstones are better just that there is nothing wrong with them.
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 04-28-16, 01:59 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrzjohn
My wife's 2007 RX has Michelin's and is one the second set (76000 miles) and has had no problems snow or rain.
I have a 2015 Ranger Rover Sport and have Michelin's on it. Completely different, horrible in the snow although they say M/S on them.

p.s. she's picking up her 2016 tomorrow and that on will also have Michelin's.
Great for you but that does not mean the Brigs are bad tires. I do understand human nature and how one holds onto what they love.
Old 04-28-16, 07:31 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
Yermolovd-I too, am making peace with these tires being a staunch Michelin guy myself, like RXOwner. I did a little nosing around and found the these Bridgestones are "run-flats" too! I also noted the max tire PSI on their sidewalls is 56lbs.! I am assuming that the run-flats have more rubber at the tread and sides and air pressure is a bigger part of their construct than normal tires?
Radio88 - will you please give us some more details on how you discovered that the Bridgestone H/L 422 Plus tires are "run-flats"? Bridgestone has a class of tires they call their DriveGuard series and these are "run-flats" (i.e. they can continue functioning at 50 mph for 50 miles). The H/L 422's are in their Ecopia class.
Old 04-28-16, 08:32 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

I picked up my F sport a week ago and find excessive tire noise from the bridgestones that are on the car. My Venza came with Bridgestone and the had the same issue until I replaced them with Michelines after they wore out. At that time the car was much quieter.

My luck the RX came with Bridgestone
Old 04-28-16, 08:46 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RXOwner
People may think as they want but I have, after near 10K on my 4RX, no complaints. In fact I would say they are more quiet than I would have expected, smooth and corner well. Even wet traction is great.

About ready to trade the 4RX, this weekend, but I can not say I would not have have these tires again and I have always been a Michelin man!
I'm just curious RXOwner, you appear to really love the 4RX. Wondering why you're trading it in.
Old 04-28-16, 08:47 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
Radio88 - will you please give us some more details on how you discovered that the Bridgestone H/L 422 Plus tires are "run-flats"? Bridgestone has a class of tires they call their DriveGuard series and these are "run-flats" (i.e. they can continue functioning at 50 mph for 50 miles). The H/L 422's are in their Ecopia class.
I was wrong. I read this yesterday and assumed my tires were this
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....L+422+Plus+RFT
but your post here prompted me to run down to the garage with a flashlight and check mine-no "RFT" on the sidewall, just "H/L 422 plus".
I apologise for the mistake.
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 04-28-16, 08:50 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 504 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
I was wrong. I read this yesterday and assumed my tires were this
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....L+422+Plus+RFT
but your post here prompted me to run down to the garage with a flashlight and check mine-no "RFT" on the sidewall, just "H/L 422 plus".
I apologise for the mistake.
Basically the cheapest tire in that size at Tirerack.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)