RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 08:52 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandy14
I'm just curious RXOwner, you appear to really love the 4RX. Wondering why you're trading it in.
I asked earlier and got no answer.
Old 04-28-16, 09:13 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
I asked earlier and got no answer.
It is not for a lack of love for the RX, in fact I wish I could keep it but I had a $18k additional tax payment due at the end of the year and my CPA told me I must move back to the LX. It will be here Friday for pickup late Friday or Saturday am.

The LX is a HUGE deduction per Section 179. It will be my 4th LX.
Old 04-28-16, 09:40 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXOwner
It is not for a lack of love for the RX, in fact I wish I could keep it but I had a $18k additional tax payment due at the end of the year and my CPA told me I must move back to the LX. It will be here Friday for pickup late Friday or Saturday am.

The LX is a HUGE deduction per Section 179. It will be my 4th LX.
OK that satisfies what a couple of us thought may have been your dissatisfaction with our beloved RX
but congratulations on the LX! A neighbor of ours has a 570 and boy I wouldn't mind. Too steep for me.

Last edited by Radio88; 04-28-16 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-28-16, 09:57 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
OK that satisfies what a couple of us thought may have been your dissatisfaction with our beloved RX
but congratulations on the LX! A neighbor of ours has a 570 and boy I wouldn't mind. Too steep for me.
I have loved my RX. Feels like a sports car to me after push 6000lbs through the corners but the LX ride is unbeaten. It isolates you from almost all the motor sound and road noise/bumps.

My only worry is the 8 speed tranny on the LX. It took me a while to get used to the tranny on the 4RX. I am not sure I trained it, I am almost positive that it trained me!
Old 04-28-16, 12:00 PM
NRX
Driver

I have bridgestone tires on my 4RX and it drives smooth with no noise.
Old 04-28-16, 01:25 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXOwner
I have loved my RX. Feels like a sports car to me after push 6000lbs through the corners but the LX ride is unbeaten. It isolates you from almost all the motor sound and road noise/bumps.

My only worry is the 8 speed tranny on the LX. It took me a while to get used to the tranny on the 4RX. I am not sure I trained it, I am almost positive that it trained me!
Wow! 6000lbs that LX? You're getting close to commercial vehicle curb weights with that one. You'd think that the added fuel costs alone would knock a good dent into any write-off you get

Originally Posted by NRX
I have bridgestone tires on my 4RX and it drives smooth with no noise.
Me too-I am fine with these tires till I get some Michelins to replace them. These are almost buttery-smooth riding tires, but I am guessing it is a combo of the minimal rolling resistance of the tires with the ride engineering of the RX. It's very nice! I personally haven't had a vehicle this smooth and worse yet, my Tacoma truck which was my previous main ride for 15 years(which I still have tucked away because it is a great one) has the harshest ride even with some fat Michelins on it, due to that half-ton sprung rear combined with independent fronts and rigid box frame. Any flex or absorption happened within your bones!

Last edited by Radio88; 04-28-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-01-16, 05:55 PM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

My 4RX also came with Bridgestone. The Bridgestones seem a bit noisy to me. Before my RX I was driving a 4Runner with Michelin Latitudes. While the Bridgestones seem like a good tire, the Michelins were more quiet than Bridgestone.
Old 05-01-16, 07:31 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I just ordered Michelin Latitudes to replace my Bridgestones.
Old 05-02-16, 09:26 AM
boomer10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roblim
I just ordered Michelin Latitudes to replace my Bridgestones.
You should like your Latitudes. I'm going to hold on to my Bridgestones to see how long they last.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 05-03-16, 06:14 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't have Bridestone tires on my RX so I won't comment on those. However, in my past experience with Bridgestone tires I have found that compared to Continental, Michelin and Pirelli;
* They don't last as long.
* The ride isn't as good.
* They are noiser.
* Wet weather performance isn't as good.
* Snow traction leaves a lot to be desired.

Again, this is based on my experience driving on the tires I mentioned.

Last edited by JT4; 05-03-16 at 06:18 AM.
Jtradar (08-28-22)
Old 05-03-16, 07:06 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

So in the context of my original question, it's looking like Lexus stuck us 18" guys with a crap tire. I personally never have nor never would buy Bridgestones as a choice. But I am stuck with them till they wear out, so I will make the best of it. They're quiet and nice riding and handling right now anyway-they are brand new though. One attribute they do have is low rolling resistance which helps mileage a bit.
Old 05-03-16, 07:08 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

I have them on my RX and had them pin my Venza before I switched to Michelines. Here is what I found:

Noisy.
Lower traction in dry and wet.
Much less durable.
Old 05-03-16, 07:21 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

We're all stuck with OEM tires which are generally not the same as replacement tires.

The Bridgestone are also on the 20" rim. It's hit and miss what shows up on any version of the 4RX

Looks like more people would prefer the Michelin's.
Geekteach (12-20-19)
Old 05-03-16, 08:50 AM
darkoozy
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the OEM Bridgestone tires as well. They are ok. Not the greatest tire, decent enough to ride on.

The Michelins are definitely a better tire, but not enough to want to change the Bridgestones out.
Old 05-03-16, 04:29 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Thanks for the input everyone. FastFord +1 OEM tires. I bought my 2001 Tacoma Prerunner Dbl-cab ltd. new and it came with BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As. The first week I had this truck I was going down the freeway in heavy rain and came up on a wide cross-stream of runoff. Those tires floated the front end and put me into the next lane so fast I thought I was gonna wreck. Never touched another T/A tire and got rid of those sooner than I wanted to. Michelin-Xs ever since. The Xs cut right through stuff like that.
Darkoozy +1. Hell these tires do not detract from this fantastic RX. I love this thing!

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)