RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-17, 10:24 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by rdfish1
i pushed the dealer pretty hard and was rushing to get the deal done before 5/31 and they were very busy so never asked about tires. Dealer was not local which made it harder . Anyway, he might have switched them or maybe not. Often, it has to do with how valuable the transaction is to them. If pushed to the limit, switching tires is not likely something they will do. However, just looked at the tires on my denali, it comes with Bridgestone too so can't be a bad tire if luxury manufacters are using them. and of course, when each of these wear out, I can buy michelins if I want.

The ecopia are supposed to be a low low rolling resistance tire with some gas mileage benefit, even if minor, that's never bad
The Ecopia tires were good for me. They had goof traction wet and dry. Someone told me they were designed for the RX but no sure about that. They were quiet, even after they were rotated. I prefer the Michelins but the Ecopias were quite decent.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 06-03-17, 10:31 AM
zorro5566
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tires for 2016 rx 350

I currently have the original tires Bridestone, and have 30k miles on my 1 1/2 year old sweet ride. Thinking abut going with Michlen.
Old 06-03-17, 01:22 PM
PCW
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

The Michelin Premier LTX 20" tire was made specifically for the new RX and you may want to try them. That's what I have on my 2016 and they are the new technology tire with what Michelin calls "emerging groves". Tire Rack ranks them No. 1 in their Crossover/SUV Touring All Season category.
The following 2 users liked this post by PCW:
RXBurbmom (11-15-17), zorro5566 (06-05-17)
Old 06-04-17, 03:32 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I have the Michelin...came on the car. I would buy again. Remember the replacement tire is a better tire than the stock tire and that goes for any tire manufacturer. They ones they build for OEM are different than ones you buy off the shelf. Very subtle construction differences.

May try a bigger size next time, but that's a different subject.
Old 06-04-17, 10:01 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by rdfish1
i know Michelin tires are very common on the Rx this generation and in past but I've noticed many vehicles with Bridgestone eco HL (something like that) on many of them. Mine is one that came with the Bridgestone. I looked at a few in the same color and that's what they had. I am a Michelin guy so was hoping to get them but didn't work out. I'm sure these are very good tires too. Have u all seen the same thing as it relates to different brands.
Both are fine for OEM tires. Having the Bridgestones will give you an idea how good they are when it comes time to replace them. Maybe at that point you will want to go Michelin or who knows? I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 06-04-17, 02:24 PM
tdjacw
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by FastFord
I have the Michelin...came on the car. I would buy again. Remember the replacement tire is a better tire than the stock tire and that goes for any tire manufacturer. They ones they build for OEM are different than ones you buy off the shelf. Very subtle construction differences.

May try a bigger size next time, but that's a different subject.
Yeah I noticed that. It seems the replacements are always heavier. I wonder if they make them lighter to get the MPG's up slightly or maybe a money thing.
zorro5566 (06-05-17)
Old 06-05-17, 06:29 AM
FastFord
Racer

Found an old article that makes sense why OEM tires may not be a good indication of a tires true character....

The replacement business is where the tire companies make their money. While replacement tires may look the same as the originals, they are made differently, in ways that hold down manufacturing costs and make them more profitable than original-equipment tires. So the companies' goal is to get just enough new-car business to steer customers to their tires in the replacement market.

For example, tiremakers use different rubber and chemical compounds in the two types of tires because of fuel-efficiency requirements that apply to original-equipment tires and not to replacements.

Automakers must meet federal fuel-efficiency standards, and a tire's "rolling resistance" accounts for 20 percent of a vehicle's fuel consumption. So when automakers buy tires, they require that they meet fuel-efficiency specifications.

Once a car is sold, though, fuel-efficiency standards no longer apply, and consumers generally don't care about rolling resistance. So tiremakers may use a different rubber and chemical compound in replacement tires, with the result being a tire that tends to last longer but is a bit noisier, gives a somewhat harsher ride and is slightly less fuel-efficient
The following 2 users liked this post by FastFord:
exonw (07-21-20), nsnqst (09-30-20)
Old 06-05-17, 10:37 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Long running thread!

Just want to say that for our Canadian winters, I had bad experience with Michelin X-Ice tires. So for winter, I use Bridgestone and I just love them in the snow!

BUT I stick to Michelin for my summer tires. Smoother ride! (and happy that my RX came with them!)
Old 07-29-17, 09:42 PM
mx5mike
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Our 17 GX has Michelin Latitudes and they are far superior on the rain and snow than the Bridgestones on the RX. I get a hum on the highway with the Bridgestones in dry weather I don't get with the michelins. Not that the Bridgestones are a horrible tire, they are just a step below the Michelins; I will wear out the bridgestones and switch to either Michelin or Pirelli's.
Old 09-22-17, 05:01 PM
Lamberti56
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires

I just bought a 2017 Lexus RX 350 that came with the 20" Bridgestone Ecopia 422 plus tires, how do they compare to the Michelin Premier LTX Tire.
Old 09-23-17, 07:26 AM
FastFord
Racer

Originally Posted by Lamberti56
I just bought a 2017 Lexus RX 350 that came with the 20" Bridgestone Ecopia 422 plus tires, how do they compare to the Michelin Premier LTX Tire.
All oem tires leave a little to be desired. The replacements are not the same. I have two oem Michelin and two replacement Michelin ( flat/nails), They were replaced early shortly after purchase. They are wearing better than the oem after 24000kms.

I am not that impressed with the oem Michelin , I bet the Ecopia are very similar.

I would not judge an OEM tire as it's true characteristic, be it Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear, etc.
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 10-16-17, 05:45 PM
AZisHOT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll throw in my 2 cents.
I have the Ecopia's on the 20" F sport rims. I have never been accused of driving easy on tires. First off, yes, lots of brand loyalty seems to be reflected in the previous posts - no problem there - I prefer Yokohama's, but don't see anything in this size of a tire. In any case, my personal opinion of Bridgestone is not good - nearly ate a guard rail back in the 90's due to the slick performance of some stock Bridgestones. But times seem to have changed. I have no issue with these tires. I have pushed them hard, and they have held up well. I have no idea about snow, but dry and rain - no issues. Also, a very quiet ride - although I'm sure Lexus gets most of the credit there. I also find that even within a brand, certain tires just don't hold up well. I had Michelins on my Odyssey, and they would just be eaten up in no time. I think the heavy weight and the desert heat just made them evaporate - Canadians may have a different experience than mine... Switched to Continentals (yes, I had sworn I would never buy Continentals ever again based on experience...), but these way, way, way, out performed the Michelins on the heavy Odyssey front end - so go figure. In any case, I'm at 28K on these, and think I can squeeze them to 30K, but that's it. Some of you may be laughing at 30K out of a set of tires, but that is actually quite good for me. I easily would go through tires in 15-20K on other vehicles. A 60K tire would be a dream - of course any tire that would get double the life would also get about half the handling - so maybe more like a nightmare for me... In any case, I have nice, even, wear across the entire surface of these tires. The key is to running these Ecopia's at 44psi. I've seen rise of 6 psi in the summer, so keep an eye on them and try to optimize for a 44psi RUNNING pressure. No risk if you're at 46 or 48, they are rated to 51. Anything below 40 and you won't get the proper handling, and I've even noticed a drop in MPG when they are so deflated. So far I have not seen anyone post about the Goodyear eagle sports, which are similarly priced and rated - anyone????
Old 11-16-17, 06:38 PM
lisapress
Driver School Candidate

Default New tires at 25,000 miles

Dealer says I need new tires due to wear for my 2016 RX350 at 25,000 miles. I purchased the SafeGuard T&W, but service says that only covers damage, not normal wear. New Michelins come with a 60,000 warranty. This doesn't make sense???
Old 11-16-17, 06:47 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Welcome to OEM tires!
Old 11-16-17, 06:54 PM
lisapress
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy So this is normal?

Ugg. Thank you!

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)