RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 06:58 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mitigator
Thanks for the replies. Speaking of winter tires I also have the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Eco Green for 6 months of winter driving on separate 17" steel rims for my old Venza and haven't had any problems with them. Got them from Costco with great service. Hoping they will add to resale / trade in value of the vehicle. Very disappointing that Lexus RX is switching over to the Bridgestones for summer driving - probably a real cost saving for them but there is no way those Bridgestone Ecopia tires are as highly rated as the Michelins.
In the states, dealers don’t give any extra for snow tires/rims. You will do much better selling them on eBay or Craig’s List. Unless your Venza is a worn out 4 cylinder, I’m not convinced you will love the RX more. I looked at the V-6 Venza & really liked it. I would have bought one, had they not stopped making it. All I can say is choose VERY carefully & test drive more than one. I’m sure you’re aware of the vibration/drone issue that remains unresolved since 2016. They’re not all bad, just a few bad apples, so good luck!
The following users liked this post:
mitigator (03-09-18)
Old 03-08-18, 09:02 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Goodyear is working on a new tire for electric vehicles and I wonder how well they might perform on a RX 450h?

Electric Drive Technology

Old 03-08-18, 03:53 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Goodyear is working on a new tire for electric vehicles and I wonder how well they might perform on a RX 450h?

Electric Drive Technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1LxJzVnfEk
Marketing crap, it's a tyre with attributes that an internal combustion vehicle could do with also....All help to save fuel.
Old 03-08-18, 03:54 PM
GSFRX350
Advanced

Received 154 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I don't have an exact answer. I DO think Pittsburgh driving, and I do mostly city driving, is different than most places. It's up and down hills, with braking, all day every day. And, OK, I'll fess up that perhaps my driving could be calmer.
Yes I think it could be your driving techniques
Old 03-08-18, 04:14 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

As per my other recent post, my OEM Michelin tires appear to be approaching their end soon at 18,000 miles. Common here in Pittsburgh to only get that kind of mileage. I priced another set of these at about $850, including installation, vs the OEM Bridgestone tires at about $100 less ($25/tire or $750 for 4, installed). Might the Bridgestones last longer? What about some other tire? What do you folks recommend?
interesting... I'm in Wisconsin with the same weather you have. I've got 16,000 miles and 1/2 of my tread depth remaining. Was just mentioning to my wife that these stock tires have lasted the longest out of any vehicle we've owned..... That being said, I will likely replace these with Michelin LTX when time comes. Had those on my BMW X5 and they were awesome.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-08-18 at 04:16 PM. Reason: language workaround
Old 03-09-18, 04:03 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

You did not mention what size of tires on your RX. If they are the 18 inch than Tire Rack rates the Michelin Premier LTX #1 with a 60,000 mile warranty. Costco has a set of four for $788. If you can wait they about every other month run a Michelin $80 rebate and about one week a month run a special when the installation is a penny a tire which would save you $60.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...D&autoModClar=
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (03-10-18)
Old 03-09-18, 05:18 AM
mitigator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gadgetman, with my fully loaded V6 AWD 2009 Venza now being 9 years old its time to start looking for a new vehicle. I just replaced a rear wheel bearing for $600.00, and it's battery has been replaced 3 times!! I agree that a new Venza would be a great replacement but Toyota as you noted unfortunately discontinued it - guess due to lack of sales, but we still see a lot of them up here. The only vehicle I've seen thats close to the Venza is the Lexus RX but at much higher cost, I've found the Toyota Highlander is a bit too big and the RAV4 is too small - squished much like the NX 300. Thanks for the tip on the vibration / drone issue on the RX. Guess I'll keep looking.
Old 04-12-18, 07:35 AM
classiccar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Premier LTX Tires only have 8.5/32" when new.

A lot of people don't know that the Michelin Premier LTX tires only have 8.5/32" of thread when new.
Other tires have around 10.5/32" or 11/32" when new. I had them on my other car. Will not buy the Premier LTX again.
Argued with the Lexus sales person to swap out the Michelin Premier LTX tires before I purchased the vehicle.
Some new RX350s come with Bridgestone Ecopia tires. Any word on how these tires are holding up?

Last edited by classiccar; 04-12-18 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-14-18, 10:32 AM
Gravel350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by classiccar
A lot of people don't know that the Michelin Premier LTX tires only have 8.5/32" of thread when new.
Other tires have around 10.5/32" or 11/32" when new. I had them on my other car. Will not buy the Premier LTX again.
Argued with the Lexus sales person to swap out the Michelin Premier LTX tires before I purchased the vehicle.
Some new RX350s come with Bridgestone Ecopia tires. Any word on how these tires are holding up?
I just bought a used 2016 RX350 with Ecopia tires, not sure about the milage on them, the RX has 12K miles on it and they look pretty decent, but the previous owner also had winter tires. On my previous SUV (2014 Ford Explorer Limited) I had the choice between Michelin Defender LTX and Premier LTX and they strongly recommended the Defender tires because they have more thread and I live on a gravel road which chews up the tires a bit. When these Ecopia tires are done I am strongly considering putting on 255/50R20 Defender LTX tires since they worked really well for me. Those do not come in the stock size. They were a little more noisy than the factory Hankooks, but they were awesome in rain. The other tire I am considering is the Toyo Open Country Q/T in the standard 235/55R20 size because it starts with 13/32 thread in a SUV specific tire with a 102V rating.
Old 04-14-18, 10:37 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravel350
I just bought a used 2016 RX350 with Ecopia tires, not sure about the milage on them, the RX has 12K miles on it and they look pretty decent, but the previous owner also had winter tires. On my previous SUV (2014 Ford Explorer Limited) I had the choice between Michelin Defender LTX and Premier LTX and they strongly recommended the Defender tires because they have more thread and I live on a gravel road which chews up the tires a bit. When these Ecopia tires are done I am strongly considering putting on 255/50R20 Defender LTX tires since they worked really well for me. Those do not come in the stock size. They were a little more noisy than the factory Hankooks, but they were awesome in rain. The other tire I am considering is the Toyo Open Country Q/T in the standard 235/55R20 size because it starts with 13/32 thread in a SUV specific tire with a 102V rating.
Toyo was one of the smoothest quietest and well wearing tires I ever had. I think it was the Versado on another suv
Old 04-15-18, 10:08 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

I guess it's the old "YMMV". My 2010 RAV4 V6 came with Toyo Open Countrys from new. Miserable tires...noisy, hard riding, wore out at 36k. Replaced them with Michelin Defenders. Much quieter, better riding, great in rain and I now have 46k on them with between 6-7/32nds tread depth.
Old 05-04-18, 08:33 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Pirelli Tire For RX350

I'm kinda disappointed that there isn't much discussion on choices other than the two OEM tires for this vehicle. That being said, after reviewing TIRE RACK testing, I'm thinking about installing Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires on my 2017 RX350 with 17,000 miles and Michelin OEMs that are at the wear bar (sadly, unfortunately, disappointingly). Can any of you add to my decision? Any reason this is an especially good choice? Any reason that I'm missing that might make this an especially bad choice? I'm in Pittsburgh so winter is a factor.
Old 05-04-18, 09:42 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I'm kinda disappointed that there isn't much discussion on choices other than the two OEM tires for this vehicle. That being said, after reviewing TIRE RACK testing, I'm thinking about installing Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires on my 2017 RX350 with 17,000 miles and Michelin OEMs that are at the wear bar (sadly, unfortunately, disappointingly). Can any of you add to my decision? Any reason this is an especially good choice? Any reason that I'm missing that might make this an especially bad choice? I'm in Pittsburgh so winter is a factor.
Can you get some allowance from Michelin as that's not even 1/3 of the tread life warranty?
Old 05-04-18, 10:37 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Then I'd have to get the same tires from Michelin. And because they are OEM, I'd have to go thru the Lexus dealer and pay the inflated price versus going thru Sam's Club and getting the rock bottom price. Bottom line is I could PROBABLY save a few bucks by doing that, but the trade off would be I'd be getting tires that will only last another 17K miles. For the few hundred dollars difference (total cost for 4 Pirelli's, installed, with tax, at Sam's Club is $666), at best, I can try something that I think will be better.
Old 05-04-18, 10:42 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Then I'd have to get the same tires from Michelin. And because they are OEM, I'd have to go thru the Lexus dealer and pay the inflated price versus going thru Sam's Club and getting the rock bottom price. Bottom line is I could PROBABLY save a few bucks by doing that, but the trade off would be I'd be getting tires that will only last another 17K miles. For the few hundred dollars difference (total cost for 4 Pirelli's, installed, with tax, at Sam's Club is $666), at best, I can try something that I think will be better.
I hear you. I see many reviews on Tirerack have the same complaint - poor tread life.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)