RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 03:44 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What's the deal with everyone ****ting on the Bridgestones? Bit of brand snobbery going on. My car has the Michelins and the tester had Bridgestone. Barely any difference whatsoever.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (11-22-19)
Old 05-16-16, 04:13 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

rayaans, I moved your post to the thread discussing Bridgestone tires. It comes down to personal preference or maybe a bad experience. I've never had a problem with Michelins unlike other brands. And I was coming from the Premiers. For the record, I had fun with the Bridgestones on the 330. But they didn't last that long. This time around I wanted to go with a brand I've had had good luck with for a change. That happened to be Michelin. So let's not be quick to judge.
Old 05-17-16, 03:55 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Mine has Bridstones are here are my issues with them:

1- Loud: Lots of road noise. Inside and outside I can even hear my Rx coming in from the end of the street when my wife come in. The tires have the humming noise of a 4X4 truck with offroad tires.

2- Poor Handling: I can not take any corner even close to what I can do with my Venza or Camry (Yes the Vanilla handles far better than the F sport with Bridgstones). The tires start squealing and lose traction

My Venza initially came with Bridstones. Until they wore off, I had similar issues. After replacing them with Michelines, it drives like a different car.

The difference between and the Toyota is that the RX is the top of the line RX. An $85,000 vehicle should NOT be delivered with the worse tire in its category, especially in F Sport variation. I understand that these are half the cost of Michelin, but This is the wrong Part to save money;; Lexus!!!

Last edited by toyotaman7; 05-17-16 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-17-16, 04:54 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rayaans
What's the deal with everyone ****ting on the Bridgestones? Bit of brand snobbery going on. My car has the Michelins and the tester had Bridgestone. Barely any difference whatsoever.
From what I've gathered over the course of this thread, if you pay a premium price for a vehicle like this4RX, you rate the snobbery

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Mine has Bridstones are here are my issues with them:

1- Loud: Lots of road noise. Inside and outside I can even hear my Rx coming in from the end of the street when my wife come in. The tires have the humming noise of a 4X4 truck with offroad tires.

2- Poor Handling: I can not take any corner even close to what I can do with my Venza or Camry (Yes the Vanilla handles far better than the F sport with Bridgstones). The tires start squealing and lose traction

My Venza initially came with Bridstones. Until they wore off, I had similar issues. After replacing them with Michelines, it drives like a different car.

The difference between and the Toyota is that the RX is the top of the line RX. An $85,000 vehicle should NOT be delivered with the worse tire in its category, especially in F Sport variation. I understand that these are half the cost of Michelin, but This is the wrong Part to save money;; Lexus!!!
First of all, if your tires are squealing in a corner you are pushing too hard into it.
Second, if your tires are noisy like that, I have a feeling it's unique to the Bridgestones on the 20s, because as I have posted earlier, my 18s are very quiet. Probably has a lot to do with your 20s having less sidewall which means less noise cushioning.
Third, $85,000? Wow what do you have in that RX?
Old 05-17-16, 05:11 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

First of all, if your tires are squealing in a corner you are pushing too hard into it.
Second, if your tires are noisy like that, I have a feeling it's unique to the Bridgestones on the 20s, because as I have posted earlier, my 18s are very quiet. Probably has a lot to do with your 20s having less sidewall which means less noise cushioning.
Third, $85,000? Wow what do you have in that RX?[/QUOTE]

1- I'm actually a relaxed driver, but occasionally on a nice road you like to explore the car. I'm cornering slower than my Camry in the RX. What's the point of buying the F SPORT, if you want the marshmallow drive?

2 The tires are 20", but so are the Michelines. I've test driven the Michelines in the F sport and they are much quieter and much more responsive and far better traction

3 If you want the safety package in Canada, that's what you pay on the road. We don't get options. Lexus Canada only offers packages and includes the safety stuff with the Highest package only.
Old 05-17-16, 05:52 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

2 The tires are 20", but so are the Michelines. I've test driven the Michelines in the F sport and they are much quieter and much more responsive and far better traction

Would it be too much trouble for you or anyone here with the 20s to measure your sidewall from the bead to the tread? I will do the same, and this would affirm or decline my suspicion that the 20" guys have less side rubber than the 18s. Maybe I'll stop in my dealer and see for myself. My reason is this-we both have the same wheel well space and my 18s fill them in pretty well and the rears, there's only about an inch clearance to the wheel well corners.
I am thinking as I posted before, that us 18" guys just have more sidewall rubber where you 20" guys have more bling.
And nobody can disagree with your assessment of the Michelins-they have been a top tire for a while now-I own them too on my Tacoma and swear by them.
Old 05-17-16, 06:30 AM
Radio88
Pole Position

I took a minute and thumbed through our owner manual and learned that my suspicion is true.
Me: 235/65R18
You: 235/55r20
Us: spare-T165/90D18 107M <same size. Lexus would not provide you with the same spare if it would cause a leaning condition when used with your other three 20s.
Also, we both have the exact same tire width (235), but you have less percentage of sidewall-to tread-width (55 to my 65) so they are within each others' total substance.
Yours will corner better because less sidewall means less tire flex.
Old 05-17-16, 06:31 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

The overall outside diamter of both options is the same. The 18" had more rubber on the side wall and less aluminum. This provides smooth ride. More cushion.

The 20" had less rubber, more aluminum. Plus the rubber side wall should be stiffer. This should provide better handling and responsiveness. Looks is the bonus part.
Old 05-17-16, 07:14 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep in mind that ALL tire regardless of brand and model operate at its most efficient, handling and quietness minus performance when they are new. Both bridgestone and michelin will be quiet when new but once you reach past its break in period of about 5,000 miles thats when the supurior tire will shine. I have tried many brands from Michelin, Pirelli, Brigestone to Yokohamas and i always gravitate back to Michelin because of performance without the sacrafice of quietness and comfort.

I do agree that Michelins are one of the most expensive tire brands to buy. Actually recently Michelin announces that instead of being compeditive they decide to price there tires at a higher cost because they sell boat loads of tires regaurdless of price. That really is the only thing I dont like about Michelin is the price and the snobbery.
Old 05-17-16, 08:11 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Keep in mind that ALL tire regardless of brand and model operate at its most efficient, handling and quietness minus performance when they are new. Both bridgestone and michelin will be quiet when new but once you reach past its break in period of about 5,000 miles thats when the supurior tire will shine. I have tried many brands from Michelin, Pirelli, Brigestone to Yokohamas and i always gravitate back to Michelin because of performance without the sacrafice of quietness and comfort.

I do agree that Michelins are one of the most expensive tire brands to buy. Actually recently Michelin announces that instead of being compeditive they decide to price there tires at a higher cost because they sell boat loads of tires regaurdless of price. That really is the only thing I dont like about Michelin is the price and the snobbery.
Mine had 11km on the ODO when I discovered the annoying noise and 1600 km (1000 miles) when I discovered the inferior traction.
Old 05-18-16, 06:53 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

The overall outside diamter of both options is the same. The 18" had more rubber on the side wall and less aluminum. This provides smooth ride. More cushion.

The 20" had less rubber, more aluminum. Plus the rubber side wall should be stiffer. This should provide better handling and responsiveness. Looks is the bonus part.
This bolded part of your post is subjective but yeah we are simpatico and I love the look of my wheels. Lexus did a nice finish on them. So maybe I'm old-minded at 55, but I think 18" rims are pretty large as it is-my Tacoma has 16s albeit with 265/70/16 tires. They're FAT
Me, I like more tire in there.
Old 05-19-16, 06:34 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
No "snobbery" here at all, if I would have had good experiences with them in the past I would have bought them again, and I would have recommended them. I prefer Continental, Pirelli, and Michelin in that order with the Conti's and Pirelli's basically being a "toss-up". Based on MY experience with these tires I have found that when compared to Bridgestone tires;

* They last longer.
* Ride better.
* Are quieter.
* Have better wet weather and snow traction.

Also, you only test drove an RX with the Bridgestones so I am assuming they were new tires. IMO I believe that if you had to live with them for several years, and they had the same mileage/wear as your Michelin's you may feel different.
Old 01-28-17, 04:08 AM
subaruwrx
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the Bridgestone Ecopia tires just fine for day to day driving, but on snow, holy mother of Batman, these are the worst performing allseason tires as far as I can remember.
The following users liked this post:
Endopax (11-02-23)
Old 01-28-17, 08:10 AM
dleindec
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Radio88
From what I've gathered over the course of this thread, if you pay a premium price for a vehicle like this4RX, you rate the snobbery

Third, $85,000? Wow what do you have in that RX?
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...canadian+to+us

US 64,000 is currently = about $84200 Canadian, he is from ontario.
Old 01-28-17, 08:19 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Lot of exaggeration in this thread.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)