ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/882660-oem-michelin-oem-bridgestone-vs-other-merged-threads.html)

yardbird88 01-26-19 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ravenuer (Post 10421364)
I don't think there's an actual published specific mileage warranty. They just gave you good customer accommodation. As they should have.

The Michelin Premium LT tire has 60k warranty if you bought it in store. That's how they prorated the 75% credit to me, could be good faith by that particular advisor willing to work for a deal. I tried the other advisor in the same dealer, He said "NO".

GSFRX350 02-13-19 12:51 AM

I've just replaced my tyres with Kumho Tyres - Crugen Premium SUV KL33. This is in Australia so don't know if you guys have them in North America but I love them. Around half the price of Bridgestone, Dunlop OEM tyres and they're quieter, handling is probably similar but as I don't push the car much your really can't tell. For me they are fine.

One point, they are only "H" rated instead of "V" and the ride is a little smoother, the small bumps feel softer, not quite as jiggly, maybe a loss of handling but I can't tell.

mikemu30 02-13-19 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by GSFRX350 (Post 10438628)
I've just replaced my tyres with Kumho Tyres - Crugen Premium SUV KL33. This is in Australia so don't know if you guys have them in North America but I love them. Around half the price of Bridgestone, Dunlop OEM tyres and they're quieter, handling is probably similar but as I don't push the car much your really can't tell. For me they are fine.

One point, they are only "H" rated instead of "V" and the ride is a little smoother, the small bumps feel softer, not quite as jiggly, maybe a loss of handling but I can't tell.

We have Kumho here in NA and they don't have a great track record. You get what you pay for.

Cocal 02-13-19 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by GSFRX350 (Post 10438628)

We have Kuhmo here also, but they are rated as tier 3 or at best tier 2 not in the same league as Bridgestone or Dunlop.

Unless you're going really fast constantly the H rating vs V won't matter to you, but because you are in a hot weather country I wouldn't go too fast on a very hot day. Those rating are there to determine stresses at speed and temperature

gadgetman1 02-13-19 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by yardbird88 (Post 10421464)
The Michelin Premium LT tire has 60k warranty if you bought it in store. That's how they prorated the 75% credit to me, could be good faith by that particular advisor willing to work for a deal. I tried the other advisor in the same dealer, He said "NO".

What a crock of crap. I’m glad you got the “good” advisor & not the bad one!

yardbird88 02-13-19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by gadgetman1 (Post 10438829)

What a crock of crap. I’m glad you got the “good” advisor & not the bad one!

Yeah, I will certainly stick with that advisor from now on if I ever need dealer's services.

carlovalle 02-14-19 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Radio88 (Post 9463820)
I got no reply in another thread so I am asking here.

A couple people said
"I hope my rx doesn't come with the bridgestone..."

and

"I refused to accept my RX 350 F Sport unless they changed the tires. They switched out the rim/tires with another RX.

This is a known complaint with Lexus."

So my question to the general forum is, what's the apparent problem people have with Bridgestones on their RX? I have them on mine and my initial opinions are
a. they are very quiet and smooth-riding.
b. they look good and have decent rain treads.
c. they handle this 4200lb vehicle in corners very well.
d. they fill out the wheel wells just fine.

I have the 18s. To me, 18" rims are pretty substantial and are not "too small" for this vehicle even given its fairly fat fuselage. My tacoma has 16s, my stepson's 2010 Highlander has 17s, etc. those are more than adequate for those vehicles.
In my own opinion, 20" rims look fine on the 4RX because that fat body sort of fits them. To my eye, the 18"-to-20" difference is negligible because the more rim you have, generally the less sidewall you have...so I have more side wall rubber showing than the 20" guys so what?
Is the above point what the complaints are about with Bridgestones?
Please fill me in folks.

I will prefer bridgetone than michellin I had michellin for factory and the tire just went to 40000 miles but now I have the goodyears maxlife very good treat and very soft has more meat than michellin

gadgetman1 02-14-19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by carlovalle (Post 10439852)
I will prefer bridgetone than michellin I had michellin for factory and the tire just went to 40000 miles but now I have the goodyears maxlife very good treat and very soft has more meat than michellin

For those still asking questions about the differences between the OEM Bridgestone tires & the OEM Michelin tires:
This is my opinion, but it’s based on the recommendations from several tire retailers. The Michelins will last longer than the Bridgestones & many report they are quieter. Michelin stands behind their product a little better than Bridgestone. I’m not 100% sure if the OEM Michelins have any kind of mileage warranty, but the Bridgestones have ZERO. I baby my RX. I have 23,000 miles & I have my tires rotated every 5-8,000 miles. My alignment has been checked at least twice since new & there has been nothing seriously wrong. After 20,000 miles, my Bridgestones became hard & loud & hydroplaned severely in the rain. They developed tiny cracks all over. Lexus would do nothing - ZERO. Firestone/Bridgestone would do nothing. Discount Tire warranted those crap tires for $140 & took care of all the disposal fees. The RX is a premium SUV designed to last a longe time with garbage tires designed to wear out quickly. Make your decisions based on that. I purchased a much more higher end Pirelli tire that is WAY quiter & smoother than the Bridgestones. They are warranted for 65,000 miles. The factory OEM tires are warranted for ZERO miles. The optional Lexus tire/wheel replacement warranty DOES NOT cover mileage, only damage from road hazards. Put aside all tire fables, reputations, fanboy raves, etc. Based just on the tire warranty (or lack thereof), one can decide what they are getting into.

RXGS 02-26-19 04:59 PM

Any update on this?

daryll40 02-26-19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by RXGS (Post 10451846)
Any update on this?

Yes. I'm about 10,000 miles into these tires (Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus) and they are a good ride but are wearing. Looks like I'll only get about the same 17,000 miles (in Pittsburgh, a tough place for tires) out of them as I got on the original OEM Michelins. I'm a bit disappointed and will hold Sam's Club to the pro-rata warranty, allegedly 65,000 miles. We'll see.

JSracer 02-27-19 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by daryll40 (Post 10451867)
Yes. I'm about 10,000 miles into these tires and they are a good ride but are wearing. Looks like I'll only get about the same 18,000 miles out of them as I got on the original OEM Michelins. I'm a bit disappointed and will hold Sam's Club to the pro-rata warranty.

what tires did you go with ??

gadgetman1 02-27-19 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by daryll40 (Post 10451867)
Yes. I'm about 10,000 miles into these tires and they are a good ride but are wearing. Looks like I'll only get about the same 18,000 miles out of them as I got on the original OEM Michelins. I'm a bit disappointed and will hold Sam's Club to the pro-rata warranty.

Sam’s Club? What tires did you buy & what was the warrranty?

daryll40 02-27-19 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JSracer (Post 10452153)
what tires did you go with ??

Sorry. I installed Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires from Sam's Club, about 10,000 miles ago, with a 65,000 miles warranty.

gadgetman1 02-27-19 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by daryll40 (Post 10452198)
Sorry. I installed Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires from Sam's Club, about 10,000 miles ago, with a 65,000 miles warranty.

I purchased the same tires from Discount Tire, but I haven’t driven much since then. I’ve got some trips coming up. I can say with 100% certainty, the Pirellis are much quieter & smoother than the Bridge*****s.

Are you saying the Pirellis are wearing prematurely? How would a tire rated for 65,000 miles, become worn out at 20,000 miles without something being wrong with the vehicle, or the tires, or both? The OEM tires don’t have a mileage warranty, so they can get away with making them cheaper to wear out faster.

daryll40 02-27-19 08:05 AM

That's a good question and the short answer is "yes, wearing prematurely sort of". Here in Pittsburgh tires don't last long. A rule of thumb is that tires here will last half as long as elsewhere. Our hills are steep, the roads lousy and tires just wear out quickly. I've been driving big heavy luxury cars for years. I usually get about 20,000 miles out of any tire, at best. Before having a 2016 and now a 2017RX, I drove the flagship LS cars. Again, 20,000 miles was about it. I didn't expect the original OEM Michelin tires on this vehicle to last long, but I did hope these Pirellis would get maybe 30,000 miles. So are they wearing prematurely? Yes compared to what is expected elsewhere but pretty much similar to other tires in Pittsburgh. I paid $666 for 4 tires installed at Sam's Club. If I can get them to pro-rate the tires when the time comes and get another set for $333ish, it won't be bad. But it WOULD be nice to find a good riding tire that goes 40,000 miles around here. Pirelli ain't it.