Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - 4th Gen (2016-present)
OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads) >

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Notices
RX - 4th Gen (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

 
Old 02-27-19, 08:25 AM
  #286  
daryll40
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,082
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I have the 18inch tires/wheels The tires at Sam's Club were $159.72 each, plus tax plus fees plus mounting minus an $80 rebate for buying 4. Came to $666. And I live near the Pa Turnpike; your quote is accurate, unfortunately.
daryll40 is offline  
Old 02-27-19, 09:17 AM
  #287  
HontoKuro
Pole Position
 
HontoKuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: IL
Posts: 220
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Default

Interesting topic of discussion. I can't believe I actually read entire thread here and if this is the worst of what some of the Lexus RX issues are, then I will take it any day. Coming from BMW ownership with various models over the last 20 years with both standard and staggered setups, this entire "tire brand' topic discussion almost makes me laugh and reminds me of the BMW forums I participate in where the tire topic is like Apple vs. Android opinions. You'll see a whole spectrum of opinions, experiences, like and dislikes, fanboys, which tires and brand are the best or worse, the back and forth jabs etc..

Bottom line is, in my personal opinion is if the OEM tires that came with your vehicle then run them for what it's worth until the end of their life and if they are crap or don't like the way the handle, feel, drive or sound then do your own research, check out the various wheel site reviews, test results and/or You Tube online reviews and of course the forums but forums tend to leave you with more questions than answers and often can be confusing. Just go with with what you think will fit your needs and budget but don't compromise just to save a few bucks. Tires are one the one very few products where safety is my number 1 priority so I never go cheap in this department and you certainly pay for what you get when you go with the cheaper brands and "value tires" as I have learned in the past. Better value or "cheaper" tires is not always a good idea so I stick with what I know and have personally had great experiences with both Michelin and Continental tire brands over the last 25+ years in various vehicles ranging from sedans, sport cars, SUV and crossovers. Weather it's being for dedicated winter tires such as the X-Ice winters, Primacy, Pilot Sports, DWS, ContiProContacts etc.. Michelin and Continental have never let me down.

Here is what our recent purchase of a 2017 RX with only 7,350 miles and look what tires they came with. Luck me



Last edited by HontoKuro; 02-27-19 at 09:28 AM. Reason: grammar
HontoKuro is offline  
Old 02-27-19, 11:14 AM
  #288  
Freds430
Lexus Test Driver
 
Freds430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 894
Received 156 Likes on 122 Posts
Default

Have a 2017 RX 450h with 235/55/20 tires. Just talked to Tire Rack and they are recommending a new Michelin Primacy Tour A/S. They come with a 55,000 mile warranty. Going to try these because with the 20 inch tire there is a limited number of choices. The original Michelin's are only going to last 25,000 miles. Has anyone bought these and if so what are early impressions?
Freds430 is offline  
Old 02-27-19, 11:32 AM
  #289  
mikemu30
Lexus Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,828
Received 182 Likes on 160 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HontoKuro View Post
Interesting topic of discussion. I can't believe I actually read entire thread here and if this is the worst of what some of the Lexus RX issues are, then I will take it any day. Coming from BMW ownership with various models over the last 20 years with both standard and staggered setups, this entire "tire brand' topic discussion almost makes me laugh and reminds me of the BMW forums I participate in where the tire topic is like Apple vs. Android opinions. You'll see a whole spectrum of opinions, experiences, like and dislikes, fanboys, which tires and brand are the best or worse, the back and forth jabs etc..

Bottom line is, in my personal opinion is if the OEM tires that came with your vehicle then run them for what it's worth until the end of their life and if they are crap or don't like the way the handle, feel, drive or sound then do your own research, check out the various wheel site reviews, test results and/or You Tube online reviews and of course the forums but forums tend to leave you with more questions than answers and often can be confusing. Just go with with what you think will fit your needs and budget but don't compromise just to save a few bucks. Tires are one the one very few products where safety is my number 1 priority so I never go cheap in this department and you certainly pay for what you get when you go with the cheaper brands and "value tires" as I have learned in the past. Better value or "cheaper" tires is not always a good idea so I stick with what I know and have personally had great experiences with both Michelin and Continental tire brands over the last 25+ years in various vehicles ranging from sedans, sport cars, SUV and crossovers. Weather it's being for dedicated winter tires such as the X-Ice winters, Primacy, Pilot Sports, DWS, ContiProContacts etc.. Michelin and Continental have never let me down.

Here is what our recent purchase of a 2017 RX with only 7,350 miles and look what tires they came with. Luck me


Those are the OEM Michelins - we have them as well. I expect to get 35K or so out of them - perhaps 40K. I'll never expect to get 50K plus from an SUV like this regardless of tread warranty.
mikemu30 is offline  
Old 03-14-19, 07:05 AM
  #290  
gadgetman1
Lead Lap
 
gadgetman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

This video might clear up some myths & confusion with new vehicle tires. Yes, I know it’s not about Lexus, but it’s about new car tires not lasting. BTW, it sounds like the Lexus RX folks have it good compared to the Ford SUV folks:

gadgetman1 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
CharmCtyIS (03-14-19)
Old 03-24-19, 11:45 AM
  #291  
ericsan13
Lexus Test Driver
 
ericsan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,082
Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default

I just replaced the OEM Michelin Premier LTXs on my RX450h. They only lasted 27,000 miles with 2/32nds remaining. Discount Tire was able to give me $101 credit PER tire. Despite the claims, the Premiers would still hydroplane although probably less so on other tires with 4/32nd remaining.

I am now on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, which is still part of the same company. Mileage warranty on these are 65k, with UTQG a little higher so hopefully they'll live their full life. If not, I'll be taking advantage of the mileage warranty once again.

The Advantage T/A looks more truck-like than the Premiers. So far they are doing well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...earDiameter=17
ericsan13 is offline  
Old 03-24-19, 12:06 PM
  #292  
gadgetman1
Lead Lap
 
gadgetman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Was there supposed to to be a picture at this link? It’s just a tire list...
gadgetman1 is offline  
Old 03-24-19, 03:36 PM
  #293  
Marqevans
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: IL
Posts: 727
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ericsan13 View Post
I just replaced the OEM Michelin Premier LTXs on my RX450h. They only lasted 27,000 miles with 2/32nds remaining. Discount Tire was able to give me $101 credit PER tire. Despite the claims, the Premiers would still hydroplane although probably less so on other tires with 4/32nd remaining.

I am now on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, which is still part of the same company. Mileage warranty on these are 65k, with UTQG a little higher so hopefully they'll live their full life. If not, I'll be taking advantage of the mileage warranty once again.

The Advantage T/A looks more truck-like than the Premiers. So far they are doing well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...earDiameter=17
Are they as quiet as the Michelins?


Marqevans is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Discount Tire (03-25-19)
Old 03-25-19, 04:31 AM
  #294  
Gravel350
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ontario
Posts: 12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ericsan13 View Post
I just replaced the OEM Michelin Premier LTXs on my RX450h. They only lasted 27,000 miles with 2/32nds remaining. Discount Tire was able to give me $101 credit PER tire. Despite the claims, the Premiers would still hydroplane although probably less so on other tires with 4/32nd remaining.

I am now on BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT, which is still part of the same company. Mileage warranty on these are 65k, with UTQG a little higher so hopefully they'll live their full life. If not, I'll be taking advantage of the mileage warranty once again.

The Advantage T/A looks more truck-like than the Premiers. So far they are doing well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...earDiameter=17
Can you post a picture of them on your car?
Gravel350 is offline  
Old 03-29-19, 12:36 PM
  #295  
ericsan13
Lexus Test Driver
 
ericsan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 1,082
Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gravel350 View Post
Can you post a picture of them on your car?

ericsan13 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by ericsan13:
CharmCtyIS (03-29-19), Gravel350 (03-29-19)
Old 03-31-19, 11:45 AM
  #296  
Geekteach
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I bought a new RX 450h almost 3 years ago. It came equipped with Bridgestone Ecopia tires, which have been meticulously maintained, but are well-worn at only 12K miles. Although they’re wear-rated for 65K miles, I’ll be lucky to get 15K miles on them before they’ll have to be replaced. From now on, I’ll insist on Michelins.

Last edited by Geekteach; 03-31-19 at 11:50 AM.
Geekteach is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 01:57 PM
  #297  
gadgetman1
Lead Lap
 
gadgetman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 627
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Geekteach View Post
I bought a new RX 450h almost 3 years ago. It came equipped with Bridgestone Ecopia tires, which have been meticulously maintained, but are well-worn at only 12K miles. Although theyíre wear-rated for 65K miles, Iíll be lucky to get 15K miles on them before theyíll have to be replaced. From now on, Iíll insist on Michelins.
I really wonít matter much which tire you choose. You might get another 5,000 miles out of the Michelin tires, but neither brand comes with any kind of mileage warranty on the RX. That is a total ripoff to a Lexus customer in my opinion! I can see a cheap $20,000 vehicle having junk tires, but not a $50,000+ premium vehicle. I milked my Bridge*****s until 22,000 miles & then they got really scary in the rain. We had a VW that came with high performance tires that lasted at least 30,000 miles. I can see where Lexus has taken a big dump in quality with this generation RX & itís sad.
gadgetman1 is offline  
Old 03-31-19, 05:18 PM
  #298  
GSFRX350
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NSW
Posts: 361
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

I recently replaced my OEM's Dunlop's, had an un-repairable puncture so decided to replace all of them even-though they still had tread, maybe 10,000-15,000 kms left. This was at 55,000 kms.
GSFRX350 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 03:09 AM
  #299  
rxtimes2
Driver
 
rxtimes2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 142
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GSFRX350 View Post
I recently replaced my OEM's Dunlop's, had an un-repairable puncture so decided to replace all of them even-though they still had tread, maybe 10,000-15,000 kms left. This was at 55,000 kms.
Did you replace them with Dunlopís from the dealer, or a different brand from a tire retailer.
rxtimes2 is offline  
Old 04-01-19, 04:01 AM
  #300  
GSFRX350
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NSW
Posts: 361
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rxtimes2 View Post
Did you replace them with Dunlopís from the dealer, or a different brand from a tire retailer.
Online tyre retailer, went with Kumho's - OEM's are around $450 each, the Kumho's are $221. I love them, quieter then the Dunlops, handle fine, obviously wear won't be known for a while but here in Australia they have great reviews overall and I just couldn't justify the price premium of the OEM's.
I use to like my performance tyres, over the years have had P6's, P7's, then Michelin, Bridgestone, Dunlop, Yokohama, Toyo but now I'm older performance isn't a strong requirement, particularly when driving an RX so noise is my biggest factor and the Kumho's are great.
GSFRX350 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (04-01-19)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: