RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 12:39 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Discount Tire is featuring a tire I’ve haven’t heard of in a long time. I remember they were really popular on the high end Cadillacs & Lincolns. The name of the “tyre”, as they spell it, is a Vogue Signature V SCT. Apparently, the company is in IL & their tires are made in China & Vietnam. I don’t like that, but since Bridgestone isn’t willing to do anything about their crap tires with no mileage warranty, these are priced much lower & carry 5 year, 60,000 warranty. Their UTQG ratings are 460 A A for 235/55R20 105V XL for SUVs. Discount Tire is selling them for $196 each.
Old 12-20-18, 01:02 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
So, if a tire has a 60k warranty and you only get 40k out of them, doesn't the manufacturer owe you something?
I wish. I'm not sure if nails are covered also the tires came with the Lexus.. Not sure how warranty works on that.
Old 12-20-18, 01:04 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

So here's my final verdict:
20 inch F sport AWD
Stock: 235//55//20

What I want for handling and a better look: 255/50/20

The speed difference is about a 2 mile difference.

Also costco said they could install it even though it's not the size recommended by the manufacture.
Old 12-20-18, 01:28 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
20 inch F sport AWD

Also costco said they could install it even though it's not the size recommended by the manufacture.
When it is time I'll go with 255/55/20 on OEM 20" rims instead. I like to FILL the wheel gaps little more. This new size will make the car about 2.9% slower, showing 65 mph while its actual speed is 66.8 mph. The added width will make it look beefier.
Old 12-20-18, 02:58 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I wish. I'm not sure if nails are covered also the tires came with the Lexus.. Not sure how warranty works on that.
If you purchased the Lexus Road Hazard warranty when you bought your car, it covers nails, screws etc. Lexus also told me that warranty will cover my 2ns set of tires for another 2 years or so. It has a time length & not mileage. If you didn’t get that optional warranty, Discount Tire will repair flats for free. Just take it in & if the tire is patchable, they do it for free any time. Good luck.
Old 12-20-18, 04:00 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

From what I understand, OEM tires, or ones that come on a new car, do not come with a tread wear warranty. Tires that you buy from say, an independent tire place do generally come with a tread wear warranty. Therefore, if you wear out your tires at 40k and you have a 60k warranty, you bet your bippy I'd get at least something from the manufacturer.
Old 12-20-18, 05:07 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

From what I understand, OEM tires, or ones that come on a new car, do not come with a tread wear warranty. Tires that you buy from say, an independent tire place do generally come with a tread wear warranty. Therefore, if you wear out your tires at 40k and you have a 60k warranty, you bet your bippy I'd get at least something from the manufacturer.
this is what I heard as well.

Also, Same model of tires, the OEM one is always inferior than the one you buy later.
Old 12-20-18, 06:07 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

thats good to know thanks!
Old 12-20-18, 07:30 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

It all depends on what is defined as "worn out at 40k". To some, worn out means it's starting to hydroplane in the rain, or generally feels unsafe in anything other than cool, dry weather. Unfortunately, the tires might still be at something like 4/32" depth at that point, and if the treadwear warranty says it's good to 1/32 or 2/32 (and has to be evenly worn across all 4 tires), you won't be able to make a claim on the warranty. The tire companies are banking on the consumer not wanting to risk driving on the tires down to that depth, so they end up swapping the tires well before the minimum tread depth required.

Even if by some miracle you make it to the tread depth and can claim the warranty, it's not like you'll get a brand new set of tires for free. I believe you just get some prorated discount on a new set of (typically similar) tires; and I won't be surprised if that's based on full retail pricing. Which ends up not saving you much if you'd just bought a new set of tires from Costco anyway.
Old 12-21-18, 06:38 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by kolokmee
It all depends on what is defined as "worn out at 40k". To some, worn out means it's starting to hydroplane in the rain, or generally feels unsafe in anything other than cool, dry weather. Unfortunately, the tires might still be at something like 4/32" depth at that point, and if the treadwear warranty says it's good to 1/32 or 2/32 (and has to be evenly worn across all 4 tires), you won't be able to make a claim on the warranty. The tire companies are banking on the consumer not wanting to risk driving on the tires down to that depth, so they end up swapping the tires well before the minimum tread depth required.
Even if by some miracle you make it to the tread depth and can claim the warranty, it's not like you'll get a brand new set of tires for free. I believe you just get some prorated discount on a new set of (typically similar) tires; and I won't be surprised if that's based on full retail pricing. Which ends up not saving you much if you'd just bought a new set of tires from Costco anyway.
I agree that you're not going to come away with any great deals, but if my 60k tires are at my states legal minimum(2/32 in NY)by say, 40k, I'll be due something. But of course I probably won't want to drive on them at 2/32!
Old 12-21-18, 11:55 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Lexus wouldn’t step up to the plate to do anything. Discount Tire looked at the tires & found lots of dry rot cracks all over them, so they are turning them into Bridge***** & giving me $140 credit towards 4 Pirelli Scorpion tires with a 65,000 mile warranty. I’m extremely grateful I went to them. Lexus could have issued credit also, but I guess that wasn’t profitable enough for them

I was going to go with the Vogue tires, but they would have to be ordered nearly anyplace in the USA if I were to have a blowout. The Pirellis are pretty common. We shall see how this turns out tonight after the new tires are installed this afternoon.
Old 12-21-18, 03:27 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Lexus wouldn’t step up to the plate to do anything. Discount Tire looked at the tires & found lots of dry rot cracks all over them, so they are turning them into Bridge***** & giving me $140 credit towards 4 Pirelli Scorpion tires with a 65,000 mile warranty. I’m extremely grateful I went to them. Lexus could have issued credit also, but I guess that wasn’t profitable enough for them

I was going to go with the Vogue tires, but they would have to be ordered nearly anyplace in the USA if I were to have a blowout. The Pirellis are pretty common. We shall see how this turns out tonight after the new tires are installed this afternoon.
Hope you make out ok. But remember, tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer, not the car maker. Although, yes, the dealer has lots of leeway to do something for you.
Old 12-21-18, 05:37 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Hope you make out ok. But remember, tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer, not the car maker. Although, yes, the dealer has lots of leeway to do something for you.
The dealers barely want to cover true warranty items. Tires? Laughable.
Old 12-21-18, 06:06 PM
RogueRX
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

20 inch F sport AWD

Actually with 255/50/20 tires: If speedometer reads 70 mph, your actual speed is 69.5 mph. Go to this site for more details: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

The following users liked this post:
aznkorboi (12-21-18)
Old 12-21-18, 08:01 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Yeah, Lexus can go where the sun doesn’t shine - worthless. I can’t believe the difference in these tires - the Bridge*****s ride like rocks compared to these Pirellis. I knew the Bridge*****s were getting noisy, but now all I hear is just {hush}. I’m not going any further with my embellishment until I get more miles on these & see how they hold up. All I can say is Lexus chose one of the worst tires in the world for their best selling vehicle - Freak’n brilliant.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)