RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 09:18 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Yeah, this is hilarious isn’t it? Perhaps a better choice of words is needed. The older RX models had very few issues, even with tons of miles on them. The last generation appears to be using lesser quality materials. My sunroof suddenly started leaking, so Lexus’s fix is installing a sunroof made in Japan. Go ahead & laugh or dispute that fix - apparently the sunroof models not made in Japan have severe leakage issues.
That really doesnt make sense. All sunroofs leak by design and the water drains out through the A pillars. Leaks inside the car are generally caused by clogged draintubes that run through those pillars that then causes the water to build up in the gutter and leak into the car.
Old 12-15-18, 09:53 AM
denverrob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are right! Our minds seem to have travelled along the same highway. I always second guess my acquisitions and their departures. But, of the things I still remember, the LS 460 came closest to “no regrets”. I always looked forward to driving it, and often did so with no destination just because it felt right. If it weren’t for the melting upholstery, I would still own it. They would have buried me in it. Lexus went way beyond what could be expected by replacing all 4 door panels, the glove box, and the dashboard. I felt guilty for letting it go after Lexus had tried so hard to make it right. Unfortunately, there were still areas of the interior that melted and got sticky when hot, or felt “clammy” when cold. When I lived in Colorado, the weather usually cool and/or dry enough that it didn’t bother me much. But then, I moved to Florida.
Old 12-15-18, 11:24 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

No missunderstanding that I’m aware of - per the owners manual tire booklet & a Bridgestone factory store, OEM (tires installed by the factory) DO NOT have a mileage warranty. If you go to Tire Rack’s web page, they have both OEM Ecopia & non OEM. The ratings are very different & the price is slightly cheaper for OEM. I have no idea if the same is true about the Michelin tires.
There's no mileage warranty because you haven't paid for it. The cost of the warranty is rolled into the price of the tires when you buy it from a retail store. Lexus (and most manufacturers now) will gladly sell you the same warranty on the OEM tires from the factory as part of an add-on package. It's not like the dealer will swap your tires with a "better" tire when you buy the tire warranty from them.

As for the Tirerack OEM vs Non-OEM, it's likely the OEMs are cheaper because of simple supply and demand. It would make more sense for dealers to have more of the OEM models in stock since that would be what most people would go for if they want to replace their tires with the exact same model.

The rating differences between the H-rated (non-OEM) and V-rated (OEM) should be taken with a grain of salt since the people buying slower H-rated tires would be a very different demographic compared to people who would go for a faster V-rated tire. In any case, if you are going by the "Will not buy again" stat, then I'm in the same group since I know they are better tires out there. Does it mean I think the Ecopias are trash? Not really. They just didn't impress me enough to want to go with them again.

Edit: Just to elaborate, "OEM" does not mean only installed in factory. You can buy the exact same OEM model of the Bridgestones/Michelins from Tirerack, and they will come with the treadwear warranty. Frankly though, I find the "treadwear" warranty to be nothing more than a marketing gimmick. They're not going to give you a brand new tire for free if, for some reason your tires go below 1/32 or whatever spec they give. Rather, they will prorate the price of a new tire based on the mileage on your old tires. By the time your tires are approaching the treadwear limit, it's probably getting dangerous to drive on them especially in inclement weather, so you're better off with a whole new set anyway.

Last edited by kolokmee; 12-15-18 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 01:25 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
That really doesnt make sense. All sunroofs leak by design and the water drains out through the A pillars. Leaks inside the car are generally caused by clogged draintubes that run through those pillars that then causes the water to build up in the gutter and leak into the car.
Maybe it doesn’t make sense to you. I’ve owned four vehicles with a power sunroof & this is the only one that has leaked into the passenger compartment. I had one that the foam seal began to fall apart, but it never leaked inside the car. I had the seal replaced & I was good for another few years. Lexus Service told me there is an issue on the driver’s side leaking into the microphone & the Japanese made sunroof was the fix for that problem.

Now, onto Bridgestone OEM tire warranty. I called Bridgestone’s warranty center & I was told specifically that Lexus specked out these Ecopia & they are NOT the same as over-the-counter tires from a tire store. Tire store tires carry a mileage warranty, but all OEM, regardless of brand, do not carry a mileage warranty. She was not surprised that I only got 22,000 miles out of them. In order to obtain any compensation, Lexus must contact Bridgestone for compensation, IF there is any at all to be had. So I stand by my comment that Lexus is using JUNK on many of their new vehicles. This also explains why I saw so many complaints about the Michelin OEM tires. They may or may not be better, but there were tons of comments about people only getting 20,000 miles or so out of the OEM tires. Bridgestone also told me DO NOT buy ANY tires from a car dealer as the have nothing but the manufacturer spec OEM tires WITHOUT a mileage warranty.
Old 12-17-18, 02:43 PM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

.... Bridgestone also told me DO NOT buy ANY tires from a car dealer as the have nothing but the manufacturer spec OEM tires WITHOUT a mileage warranty.
I bought my Bridgestone snow tires from the Lexus dealer and they included a 3 year Toyota road hazard warranty (at no additional cost)

Last edited by Usual; 12-17-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 03:02 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Which one makes more sense:

a) Bridgestone/Michelin manufactures a particular model of tire (Ecopia/Premier). However, due to OEM agreements with the car manufacturer, they dedicate one manufacturing line to the OEM tires and put in "inferior" rubber/chemicals, and ship them to the car maker. On another line, they put in "normal" rubber/compounds and ship those tires to regular tire stores. You get the tires from the car dealer, and try to contact Bridgestone/Michelin to claim warranty, but they know it's junk, so they won't cover them.

or

b) Bridgestone/Michelin manufactures a particular model of tire (Ecopia/Premier). Every tire is made the same way on the same manufacturing line and stamped with the same model/loading/specs. They charge tire dealers $X for the tires + $Y to cover for the treadwear warranty in case they are needed. For the car makers, they have negotiated a price $X for the tires, but don't pay the $Y part because the car dealer will cover the tire warranty as part of a more expensive tire/road hazard warranty package. You get the tires from the car dealer, and try to contact Bridgestone/Michelin to claim warranty, but they haven't been paid for the warranty part, so they won't cover unless you go through Lexus/other car maker.

As an aside, on my 2016 RX350 with the Michelin Premier LTX, I put about 60k km on them before I traded the car in, and there was still plenty of tread left on the tires. There's lots of factors as to why some tires wear out faster. I'm not sure "inferior OEM" is a factor.
Old 12-17-18, 03:08 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Usual
I bought my Bridgestone snow tires from the Lexus dealer and they included a 3 year Toyota road hazard warranty (at no additional cost)
I’m not talking about snow tires, I’m talking about tires installed at the Lexus factory. Road Hazard warranty is completely different from a mileage warranty.
Old 12-17-18, 04:48 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by kolokmee
Which one makes more sense:

a) Bridgestone/Michelin manufactures a particular model of tire (Ecopia/Premier). However, due to OEM agreements with the car manufacturer, they dedicate one manufacturing line to the OEM tires and put in "inferior" rubber/chemicals, and ship them to the car maker. On another line, they put in "normal" rubber/compounds and ship those tires to regular tire stores. You get the tires from the car dealer, and try to contact Bridgestone/Michelin to claim warranty, but they know it's junk, so they won't cover them.

or

b) Bridgestone/Michelin manufactures a particular model of tire (Ecopia/Premier). Every tire is made the same way on the same manufacturing line and stamped with the same model/loading/specs. They charge tire dealers $X for the tires + $Y to cover for the treadwear warranty in case they are needed. For the car makers, they have negotiated a price $X for the tires, but don't pay the $Y part because the car dealer will cover the tire warranty as part of a more expensive tire/road hazard warranty package. You get the tires from the car dealer, and try to contact Bridgestone/Michelin to claim warranty, but they haven't been paid for the warranty part, so they won't cover unless you go through Lexus/other car maker.

As an aside, on my 2016 RX350 with the Michelin Premier LTX, I put about 60k km on them before I traded the car in, and there was still plenty of tread left on the tires. There's lots of factors as to why some tires wear out faster. I'm not sure "inferior OEM" is a factor.
No, you are completely upside down & sideways on this. Road Hazard warranty has ZERO to do with a mileage warranty. Look in your owners manual. There is nothing that guarantees you will get X number of miles out of the factory installed tires. It’s possible that the USA gets different tires than Canada. Your theory A is mostly correct. Toyota/Lexus (or GM, Ford, FCA, etc.) all sit down & spec out what they want in their tires. They cut corners because there is no mileage warranty. So we, the customers, get a different Bridgestone tire than what you would get if you bought the same brand/model tire at a Firestone store or Discount Tire or Canadian Tire, etc. There are numerous Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires that have different sizes, treadwear, traction and/or temperature ratings, because they go on different cars. I found complaints about Nisan Leaf cars having the same issues I’m having with Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires. I also found the same complaints on Michelin Premier tires on various vehicles (some wearing out in as little as 15,000 miles). There are differences in the coding of these tires - they may look exactly the same as the better quality tires, except the code letters & numbers will be different, indicating they are OEM issue. There is no “buying a mileage warranty” from a car dealer. The Bridgestone advisor also stressed the following: DO NOT BUY TIRES FROM A CAR DEALER! You will not get the full warranty & quality tire as you would if you bought from an authorized tire retailer. Does that make sense? This is pure auto manufacturer profit, so yes, Lexus cut corners on their tires & sold junk so they could make more money.
Old 12-17-18, 04:52 PM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ext-to-useless
Old 12-17-18, 05:10 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I agree with Consumer Reports findings, but they are looking at tires purchased at a tire retailer & not OEM tires. OEM tires don’t get a warranty because they are an inferior grade of tire.
Old 12-17-18, 09:09 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with Consumer Reports findings, but they are looking at tires purchased at a tire retailer & not OEM tires. OEM tires don’t get a warranty because they are an inferior grade of tire.
I just checked with my local Discount Tire store regarding replacement of my tires. He assured me that the replacement tire was identical to the OEM Michelins on my RX and that they were the highest quality tire they sell in this size.
Old 12-17-18, 11:48 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

No, you are completely upside down & sideways on this. Road Hazard warranty has ZERO to do with a mileage warranty. Look in your owners manual. There is nothing that guarantees you will get X number of miles out of the factory installed tires. It’s possible that the USA gets different tires than Canada. Your theory A is mostly correct. Toyota/Lexus (or GM, Ford, FCA, etc.) all sit down & spec out what they want in their tires. They cut corners because there is no mileage warranty. So we, the customers, get a different Bridgestone tire than what you would get if you bought the same brand/model tire at a Firestone store or Discount Tire or Canadian Tire, etc. There are numerous Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires that have different sizes, treadwear, traction and/or temperature ratings, because they go on different cars. I found complaints about Nisan Leaf cars having the same issues I’m having with Bridgestone Ecopia 422 tires. I also found the same complaints on Michelin Premier tires on various vehicles (some wearing out in as little as 15,000 miles). There are differences in the coding of these tires - they may look exactly the same as the better quality tires, except the code letters & numbers will be different, indicating they are OEM issue. There is no “buying a mileage warranty” from a car dealer. The Bridgestone advisor also stressed the following: DO NOT BUY TIRES FROM A CAR DEALER! You will not get the full warranty & quality tire as you would if you bought from an authorized tire retailer. Does that make sense? This is pure auto manufacturer profit, so yes, Lexus cut corners on their tires & sold junk so they could make more money.
In case you did not get it, my "theory (a)" was meant to be a joke. You really think a tire manufacturer would risk their reputation and lawsuits by purposely using inferior material? You really have the whole OEM thing turned upside down.

As someone else already tried to explain to you, car manufacturers will typically work with the tire manufacturers to come up with a specification for what they choose to install on their cars. This becomes the OEM model that the tire company will make. It's the exact same tire that gets shipped to the car factory and also what gets distributed to the tire dealers so that they can sell it to customers who want the exact same (OEM) tire when their original tires wear out.

The treadwear warranty (note, I only mentioned the road hazard warranty as an addition to the other warranties, including treadwear that are possibly bought from the dealer through 3rd party companies, not the manufacturer's treadwear warranty) does not apply to factory-installed tires for a number of reasons. One speculation is that the tire manufacturer cannot keep track of where the thousands of tires get installed, and when they were installed. It's not unknown that dealers might swap out wheels when some customers are not satisfied with their wheels. At this point, no one would have an accurate mileage of the tires; so the tire companies would rather leave any warranty work of those tires to the dealer/car maker. Again, there's the possibility that the carmakers negotiated a lower price for the tires so the tire companies specifically don't have to deal with the treadwear warranty. The other school of thought is that since the car is bought as whole product, any warranty work will be dealt at the dealer/car maker level. After all, you're not going to contact Mark Levinson directly if the stereo in your RX breaks and needs warranty work, right?

You mentioned you called Bridgestone Warranty centre. Of course they'll tell you the factory installed tires are different, from a warranty perspective, because that's what they deal with. I'm amazed they would say not to buy from a car dealer though. Are you sure it wasn't just a regular tire store (with large Bridgestone logo) that told you that? I'm no marketing expert, but I would bet your average car dealer gets the tires from the same local distributor as the neighbourhood Costco or whichever friendly tire store you have. They're not gonna get the tires shipped from the factory in Oshawa or Japan, which would justify the so-called "inferior OEM" tires. Go check with your dealer. I'm fairly sure they come with the factory treadwear warranty since they are considered retail, and would have a proper record of mileage when installed.

Old 12-18-18, 03:20 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I just checked with my local Discount Tire store regarding replacement of my tires. He assured me that the replacement tire was identical to the OEM Michelins on my RX and that they were the highest quality tire they sell in this size.
Of course Discount Tire will sell you better tires. OEM tires are the poor quality tires.
Old 12-18-18, 04:24 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by kolokmee
In case you did not get it, my "theory (a)" was meant to be a joke. You really think a tire manufacturer would risk their reputation and lawsuits by purposely using inferior material? You really have the whole OEM thing turned upside down.

As someone else already tried to explain to you, car manufacturers will typically work with the tire manufacturers to come up with a specification for what they choose to install on their cars. This becomes the OEM model that the tire company will make. It's the exact same tire that gets shipped to the car factory and also what gets distributed to the tire dealers so that they can sell it to customers who want the exact same (OEM) tire when their original tires wear out.

The treadwear warranty (note, I only mentioned the road hazard warranty as an addition to the other warranties, including treadwear that are possibly bought from the dealer through 3rd party companies, not the manufacturer's treadwear warranty) does not apply to factory-installed tires for a number of reasons. One speculation is that the tire manufacturer cannot keep track of where the thousands of tires get installed, and when they were installed. It's not unknown that dealers might swap out wheels when some customers are not satisfied with their wheels. At this point, no one would have an accurate mileage of the tires; so the tire companies would rather leave any warranty work of those tires to the dealer/car maker. Again, there's the possibility that the carmakers negotiated a lower price for the tires so the tire companies specifically don't have to deal with the treadwear warranty. The other school of thought is that since the car is bought as whole product, any warranty work will be dealt at the dealer/car maker level. After all, you're not going to contact Mark Levinson directly if the stereo in your RX breaks and needs warranty work, right?

You mentioned you called Bridgestone Warranty centre. Of course they'll tell you the factory installed tires are different, from a warranty perspective, because that's what they deal with. I'm amazed they would say not to buy from a car dealer though. Are you sure it wasn't just a regular tire store (with large Bridgestone logo) that told you that? I'm no marketing expert, but I would bet your average car dealer gets the tires from the same local distributor as the neighbourhood Costco or whichever friendly tire store you have. They're not gonna get the tires shipped from the factory in Oshawa or Japan, which would justify the so-called "inferior OEM" tires. Go check with your dealer. I'm fairly sure they come with the factory treadwear warranty since they are considered retail, and would have a proper record of mileage when installed.
Shaking my head. Do you really think I’m making this crap up?! Do you really think that a huge company like Toyota/Lexus wouldn’t cut quality to make a buck?! This is about making as much money as possible, not about making making things right for the customers. Lexus does come up with a spec with tire companies that don’t wear as long as tires purchased from a tire retailer. Tires are coded at the tire factories according to who is going to get them. Then the consumer grade tires go to tire distribution warehouses where they are sold to places like Discount Tire, Canadian Tire, Joe Schmoe Tire, or Firestone retail stores. Auto manufacturers get their cheaper cost tires that go to the assembly plants. Those tires either have a special number or letter or they are missing a letter or number that designates them as lower quality OEM tires, hence the no mileage warranty clauses. Lexus might pay $100-$150 per tire for OEM & we as customers, go to Discount Tire or a Firestone store & we pay $200-$225 for a longer lasting tire that looks nearly the same as the OEM tires. You then get more warranty (for whatever that’s worth).

I didn’t mix anything up. I have visited a Firestone store & I called Bridgestone (from the tire packet in the owner’s manual). Why can’t you understand these differences or why Bridgestone told me not to buy tires from a car dealer? A car dealer is NOT considered to be retail. They are OEM & represent the car factory. I’m not saying car dealer OEM tires are going to blow out & cause you to wreck, I’m just saying they are missing compounds that will make tires wear longer & they get them for a cheaper price because they won’t last as long. Why do suppose the US DOT came up with the Uniform Tire Grading System? It’s because all tires with the same name are not the same. What still baffles me is how OEM tires are marked say a 600 Treadwear & a customer gets an average of 20,000-30,000 miles out of them, yet a non-OEM tire is marked a 640 & customers get 50,000-60,000 miles out of them. The ratio of the numbers doesn’t add up. I’m trying to learn as much as I can about this as I was like you & didn’t know any of this. Many are years ago, I had my OEM Goodyear tires recalled. I didn’t have any problems, but I was able to upgrade to much better tires. The only other tire issues I’ve had are the junk Toyos that Toyota had on my Tundra. I replaced them with non-OEM Yokahama tires & they lasted 60,000 miles. The Toyos would have maybe lasted 15,000 if the belts hadn’t been separated inside them. They were absolute junk. I took them to two Toyota dealers & a tire shop & they all agreed they were crap.

So if you don’t believe me, call the number in your book. Go to your local Bridgestone or Michelin dealer & ask them to show you the differences. That’s what I did. Firestone showed me the coding on their non-OEM tires vs. my loaner’s lack of a code on the same brand tire. I’m not perfect & I make mistakes, but I assure you I’m not making this stuff up. I was a quality manager for many years & I knew what grades of product I could get in bulk vs. buying straight from a retail outlet.

Last edited by kitlz; 12-18-18 at 10:26 AM. Reason: getting personal
Old 12-18-18, 04:50 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Holy.. We are really arguing over tires huh?

My tire had a screw in it today.. out of all the days. Now it's leaking air.
I'll probably go with what came with the car the Michelin Premier LTX. I love how the grooves widen as the tire tread goes down

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)