RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 08:07 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
This ha been going on forever, car manufacturers give their specs to the tire mfctrs to produce a tire that will emphasize certain features of the vehicle.
I’m not trying to be a smartass, but what “features” are they emphasizing? How to rip customers off? It doesn’t matter if it’s been going on a month or a decade, or if they all do it; it’s WRONG. I expect more from Lexus, who claims to build very safe vehicles.

I’m reading the Firestone/Bridgestone tire warranty (or lack thereof) book & there is a lot of exclusions & double talk. Much of what is written seems to disagree with what I was told by the Bridgestone tire store. Ironically, I noticed they also now sell Toyo tires at that factory store. Perhaps that tells a bigger story & explains why Firestone had so many law suits from defective tires. I’m going to dig much further into this & if I don’t get any satisfaction, I will never again accept a vehicle with garbage tires. I always thought that was kind of silly to hear about some customers refusing the OEM tires. I thought they were being overly picky, but now I understand & agree with them.
Old 12-12-18, 08:26 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 465 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

I’m not trying to be a smartass, but what “features” are they emphasizing? How to rip customers off? It doesn’t matter if it’s been going on a month or a decade, or if they all do it; it’s WRONG. I expect more from Lexus, who claims to build very safe vehicles.
I’m reading the Firestone/Bridgestone tire warranty (or lack thereof) book & there is a lot of exclusions & double talk. Much of what is written seems to disagree with what I was told by the Bridgestone tire store. Ironically, I noticed they also now sell Toyo tires at that factory store. Perhaps that tells a bigger story & explains why Firestone had so many law suits from defective tires. I’m going to dig much further into this & if I don’t get any satisfaction, I will never again accept a vehicle with garbage tires. I always thought that was kind of silly to hear about some customers refusing the OEM tires. I thought they were being overly picky, but now I understand & agree with them.
Don't mean to speak for Cocal, but the features he/she mentions are things like a quiet ride, or crisp handling etc. Some of which would be to the detriment of other features, but it's whatever the manufacturer wants. Oh and I forgot to mention co$t!
Old 12-12-18, 09:49 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

On a sporty car they'll emphasize the handling, on a luxury one the ride etc so that when you go for a test-drive you'll be duly impressed. All these warranties are only as good as the company backing them; some will make you go through hoops in the hope that you'll give up
Old 12-12-18, 10:03 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,343 Likes on 1,691 Posts

The Michelins on our RX are wearing just fine with 22K on the clock. I expect to get 40K or more out of them.
Old 12-12-18, 10:12 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mitigator
Thats really unfortunate. When I was test driving a RX here in Canada I asked if I could get the Michelin's that came with my Venza, and they said right now only the Bridgestone Ecopias are now being supplied by Lexus. Like you said they must have got a sweet deal from Bridgestone. If you look at the Tire Ratings in CR Reports the Ecpoias are rated way down the list, at least compared to the Michelins. Good luck.
The 2016 RX (20 inch wheels) in Quebec were equipped with Michelin Premier LTX.

I don't know for the subsequent years though.
Old 12-12-18, 10:37 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by PeeVee
The 2016 RX (20 inch wheels) in Quebec were equipped with Michelin Premier LTX.
I don't know for the subsequent years though.
Mine is a 2017 with 20" and it had Michelin Premier LTX and they were fine, but I just put on an "All-weather" set of TOYO with are also doing fine.
Old 12-12-18, 11:08 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is a 2017 with 20" and it had Michelin Premier LTX and they were fine, but I just put on an "All-weather" set of TOYO with are also doing fine.
Same for me 2017 with 20" Michelins. How do you like the ride from the Toyos compared to the Michelins? I had Toyos several years back on another SUV and they provided a super smooth and quiet ride.
Old 12-12-18, 02:02 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Same for me 2017 with 20" Michelins. How do you like the ride from the Toyos compared to the Michelins? I had Toyos several years back on another SUV and they provided a super smooth and quiet ride.
I really like them and my next door neighbour after seeing mine also bought them, but they are not the same type of tire, the Michelins were summer ones and these Toyos are all weather (not all seasons) so that I don't have to change tires every 6 months. Michelin had all weather but not in 20" alas.
Old 12-12-18, 02:08 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I really like them and my next door neighbour after seeing mine also bought them, but they are not the same type of tire, the Michelins were summer ones and these Toyos are all weather (not all seasons) so that I don't have to change tires every 6 months. Michelin had all weather but not in 20" alas.
The LTX is designated All Season.
Old 12-12-18, 02:33 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've never had a set of OEM's that I liked. Usually 20 to 30K is the best I've gotten. Doesn't really bother me as I've already researched and picked out the replacement set.
Old 12-12-18, 04:27 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The LTX is designated All Season.
Which here translates into Summer Tires. Mine are "All Weather" NOT to be confused with the all seasons.
Old 12-12-18, 07:05 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Which here translates into Summer Tires. Mine are "All Weather" NOT to be confused with the all seasons.
Please educate me, what’s the difference between “All Weather” & “All Season”? I looked at my Consumer Reports & they have a listing for SUV tires. Why wouldn’t the RX use non-aggressive SUV tires vs. car tires? My thinking is that would really help the folks that have to deal with snow. I’m blessed with little to no snow here, but most of the US & Canada aren’t so lucky.

Also, what model 20” Michelin tire does Lexus sometimes use for OEM?
Old 12-13-18, 05:57 AM
Cocal
Racer

Please educate me, what’s the difference between “All Weather” & “All Season”? I looked at my Consumer Reports & they have a listing for SUV tires. Why wouldn’t the RX use non-aggressive SUV tires vs. car tires? My thinking is that would really help the folks that have to deal with snow. I’m blessed with little to no snow here, but most of the US & Canada aren’t so lucky.
Also, what model 20” Michelin tire does Lexus sometimes use for OEM?

All seasons is a misnomer, it's really at best a 3 season tire if you live anywhere where there is winter.

All-Weather is a new kind of tire that started about 10yrs ago, I think the first manufacturer was NOKIA a Finnish company. It's a tire made up of 2 rubber compounds, one side has summer compound and the other has winter compound with winter treads. It's a compromise and not as good as either (summer-winter) at the limit, but very good if you don't race or live in area of deep snow, but great for slush & ice, since I didn't want to change tires avery fall-spring I went with this tipe of tire.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 05:14 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Found this:
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...-winter-tires/
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (12-13-18)
Old 12-14-18, 08:29 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by wktjr
Very exhaustive explanation! I think this is the way tires are going, with this all-rounder, unless you are at either extreme. No more storage, change of tires & related expenses

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)