RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 04:28 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Defender+LTX+M%2FS&partnum=765R8DLTX&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Toyota&autoYe

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?

For the record, best tire I've ever purchased. Have these on my current Tundra and previous Tundra
Old 11-03-18, 09:06 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Link no worky...
I had a 2006 Tundra TSS that came with god-awful Toyo tires. They road like a Sherman tank & pulled all over the place. Dealer determined that at least 3 of the tires were faulty, but Toyo would only replace 2 tires. Idiots! I went to a Toyo tire distributor & purchased a warranty. I then envoked that warranty & replaced the junk Toyos with Yokohamas that were fantastic. We got more than 50,000 miles out them.
Old 11-03-18, 10:10 AM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

Link no worky...
I had a 2006 Tundra TSS that came with god-awful Toyo tires. They road like a Sherman tank & pulled all over the place. Dealer determined that at least 3 of the tires were faulty, but Toyo would only replace 2 tires. Idiots! I went to a Toyo tire distributor & purchased a warranty. I then envoked that warranty & replaced the junk Toyos with Yokohamas that were fantastic. We got more than 50,000 miles out them.
My 2004 Dcab had Dunlops. I bought it late 2004 but it was an early production 2003 built. Dealer had it for awhile. Started to drive it home and it shook from the flat spotted tires. Went back and since they had none in stock they took them off another truck. Oh, than I only got 20K out of them. Replace them with Pirelli Scorpions which were OK until the sidewalls started to dry rot. Bought the Michelin LTX M/S2 (now called Defender) and never looked back.
Old 11-03-18, 10:22 AM
ellydogns
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents, FWIW, it comes down to part personal preference/brand loyalty and what works best with the vehicle.

I ran Destination AT on my (don't laugh) '05 Sorento (probably one of the more reliable vehicles I have owned) and would have chosen them again for my '09 MDX but they didn't make them in the size that I needed. So, on my '09 MDX, I ran Conti DWS in winter and Pirelli and Eagle LS2 in the summer (both were equally acceptable). I tried it with Michelin Latitude and HATED it. That vehicle was a tank and the most surefooted SUV I have owned - especially in our deep snow/slush.

This will be my first winter with the RX and I am curious to see how it handles the slush and snow. It came with 18" winter rims and tires (Michelin) which are being installed on Monday. The 20's I run in the summer need to be replaced in the Spring. I may opt for Pirelli again but the verdict is still out.
Old 11-03-18, 12:42 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by ellydogns
My 2 cents, FWIW, it comes down to part personal preference/brand loyalty and what works best with the vehicle.

I ran Destination AT on my (don't laugh) '05 Sorento (probably one of the more reliable vehicles I have owned) and would have chosen them again for my '09 MDX but they didn't make them in the size that I needed. So, on my '09 MDX, I ran Conti DWS in winter and Pirelli and Eagle LS2 in the summer (both were equally acceptable). I tried it with Michelin Latitude and HATED it. That vehicle was a tank and the most surefooted SUV I have owned - especially in our deep snow/slush.

This will be my first winter with the RX and I am curious to see how it handles the slush and snow. It came with 18" winter rims and tires (Michelin) which are being installed on Monday. The 20's I run in the summer need to be replaced in the Spring. I may opt for Pirelli again but the verdict is still out.
Nothing to laugh at - the Korean brands are probably as reliable as Lexus at least in my own personal experience.
Old 12-11-18, 03:35 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

So my RX is in the shop for several issues, one being what’s turned out to be garbage Bridgestone tires. They are not wearing correctly at all, the ride is much harsher with more mileage on them & now they hydroplane bad in the rain. I noticed my loaner RX has the same tire, but has less miles & they are much quieter & better in the rain. I stopped in my local Firestone store today & received an education that disturbs me. They had at least 3 different Ecopia 422s, all with different treadwear numbers, etc. That sparked a lot of questions for me. They told me that if the Ecopias have a “V” after their size, there is no mileage warranty. WTF?! This sounds like Lexus made a shady deal with Bridgestone for crappy tires! All I know is they are no longer performing as designed & they are nearly worn out in less miles than would most supercar tires! It’s possible my car has something wrong with it that’s caused this, but I’m clueless as to what that might be. Does anyone know if the factory Michelin’s come with a mileage warranty? This is the first I’ve heard of this.
Old 12-11-18, 03:45 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

So my RX is in the shop for several issues, one being what’s turned out to be garbage Bridgestone tires. They are not wearing correctly at all, the ride is much harsher with more mileage on them & now they hydroplane bad in the rain. I noticed my loaner RX has the same tire, but has less miles & they are much quieter & better in the rain. I stopped in my local Firestone store today & received an education that disturbs me. They had at least 3 different Ecopia 422s, all with different treadwear numbers, etc. That sparked a lot of questions for me. They told me that if the Ecopias have a “V” after their size, there is no mileage warranty. WTF?! This sounds like Lexus made a shady deal with Bridgestone for crappy tires! All I know is they are no longer performing as designed & they are nearly worn out in less miles than would most supercar tires! It’s possible my car has something wrong with it that’s caused this, but I’m clueless as to what that might be. Does anyone know if the factory Michelin’s come with a mileage warranty? This is the first I’ve heard of this.
Interesting you ask. I just took delivery of a new ES that has Michelins. Last night spent some time reading through the manual and the Michelin tire doc doesnt seem to have a mileage warranty. Thought that was odd myself. Ill check the one that came with the RX but I bet its the same.
Old 12-12-18, 02:12 AM
mitigator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats really unfortunate. When I was test driving a RX here in Canada I asked if I could get the Michelin's that came with my Venza, and they said right now only the Bridgestone Ecopias are now being supplied by Lexus. Like you said they must have got a sweet deal from Bridgestone. If you look at the Tire Ratings in CR Reports the Ecpoias are rated way down the list, at least compared to the Michelins. Good luck.
Old 12-12-18, 02:39 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

OEM tires are unique and made specifically for OEMs. You have to remember that there are at least 4 tires per car and at few million Vehicles per year few dollars of savings add up.

This is for all OEMs. Toyota is not unique.
Old 12-12-18, 03:09 AM
mitigator
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
OEM tires are unique and made specifically for OEMs. You have to remember that there are at least 4 tires per car and at few million Vehicles per year few dollars of savings add up.

Not sure what you mean by OEM tires? If you look in many of the Lexus RX You Tube Video Reviews especially late 2016, all of 2017, & and many from 2018, you can see Michelin Tires on the vehicles. So yes as you mentioned it must have been a cost cutting issue to get the Ecpoia Tires.
Old 12-12-18, 03:59 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 601 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by mitigator
Not sure what you mean by OEM tires? If you look in many of the Lexus RX You Tube Video Reviews especially late 2016, all of 2017, & and many from 2018, you can see Michelin Tires on the vehicles. So yes as you mentioned it must have been a cost cutting issue to get the Ecpoia Tires.
Original Equipment Manufacturer tires are tweaked for car makers for specific reasons requested by the manufacturer. This could be road noise, low rolling resistance or cost ( very likely).

If you search the tires, in many cases you see the same brand and model in 2 different specs and prices. This includes Michelin. Look up Michelin for the 2016-19 RX.
Old 12-12-18, 05:27 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by toyotaman7

This practice should be illegal! What I think you are saying is an auto manufacturer can spec out a tire with basically no warranty & compromise safety, just to save a few bucks! What a rip off. A Michelin XYZ tire or a Bridgestone Ecopia tire should be the same across the board, PERIOD!

Lexus continues to disappoint. I was quite surprised at the list of crap that needed warranty repair with such low miles. At this point, I’m not sure I would buy another Lexus. It depends on how they handle this tire issue.
Old 12-12-18, 06:02 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts

Link no worky...
Ah yes, Toyos…..bought a new 2010 RAV4 V6 that came with them. Suffered through 35k miles when I replaced them with Michelin Defenders. Better in every way and I now have about 56k on them. They're starting to crack around the bead but still have about 6mm left on the tread. Since getting the RX, the RAV has been demoted to around town use, so I'm still good for a while yet.
Old 12-12-18, 06:02 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

This practice should be illegal! What I think you are saying is an auto manufacturer can spec out a tire with basically no warranty & compromise safety, just to save a few bucks! What a rip off. A Michelin XYZ tire or a Bridgestone Ecopia tire should be the same across the board, PERIOD!

Lexus continues to disappoint. I was quite surprised at the list of crap that needed warranty repair with such low miles. At this point, I’m not sure I would buy another Lexus. It depends on how they handle this tire issue.
You're missing the point - it's not just Lexus - they all spec OEM tires specifically for their models.
Old 12-12-18, 06:09 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

This ha been going on forever, car manufacturers give their specs to the tire mfctrs to produce a tire that will emphasize certain features of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)