RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 08:03 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

I agree. If one drives straight highway miles and keeps their tires rotated every 5,000 miles, you can get close. I had some excellent luck with Goodyear Assurance tires on a Buick that I put all highway miles on. Those tires lasted more than expected.
Had the assurance' s on 2 vehicles. Good snow and wet traction. I would by again.
Old 10-31-18, 05:28 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,568 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I agree. If one drives straight highway miles and keeps their tires rotated every 5,000 miles, you can get close. I had some excellent luck with Goodyear Assurance tires on a Buick that I put all highway miles on. Those tires lasted more than expected.
I'm getting great performance on our other car which is a sedan (Hyundai Azera) from General Altimax - a relatively inexpensive tire compared to many others.
Old 10-31-18, 10:16 AM
rusn007
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Bridgestones (with 40K miles on them) and will need to replace them soon. As a loaner, I had a 2018 RX 350L with Micheline (5K miles) and I was amazed at how quiet and different the car handled. Almost seemed like a different car. Not sure if the entire difference is due to the tires, but I'm going to install Micheline next.
Old 10-31-18, 10:53 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by rusn007
I have Bridgestones (with 40K miles on them) and will need to replace them soon. As a loaner, I had a 2018 RX 350L with Micheline (5K miles) and I was amazed at how quiet and different the car handled. Almost seemed like a different car. Not sure if the entire difference is due to the tires, but I'm going to install Micheline next.
One word of caution; Often the OE tires cannot be found as they are specifically made for the manufacturer to emphasize a certain feature, in this case quietness. Michelin is a very good make though.
Old 10-31-18, 04:45 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cocal
One word of caution; Often the OE tires cannot be found as they are specifically made for the manufacturer to emphasize a certain feature, in this case quietness. Michelin is a very good make though.
True, but I've had OEM Michelin's and found them to be lacking when compared to replacement sets from any tire retailer. Same for Continentals.

Just got the opportunity to drive in the rain with the OEM Michlin's. One word. Horrible.
Old 11-01-18, 05:08 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by wktjr
True, but I've had OEM Michelin's and found them to be lacking when compared to replacement sets from any tire retailer. Same for Continentals.

Just got the opportunity to drive in the rain with the OEM Michlin's. One word. Horrible.
i would strongly disagree, i was in insane rain, more than once heading to the mountains, and never felt a slip or anything.
not sure what your tread depth or milage is, my tires had under 5 or 7k miles on them.
Old 11-01-18, 07:11 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JSracer
i would strongly disagree, i was in insane rain, more than once heading to the mountains, and never felt a slip or anything.
not sure what your tread depth or milage is, my tires had under 5 or 7k miles on them.
Agree - I've never had any issues in wet or dry conditions with the Michelins. About 22K miles on them now.
Old 11-01-18, 08:33 AM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I replaced my Bridgestones with Michelin’s at 24K. It is true you can go much more with your tires but you are then riding on the hard rubber of the tires and will get a much less satisfying ride. I like the softer ride of the first 10-15 K of tire life. Rain performance is greatly affected once the tread wears down. In Florida that is a important needed feature of any tire. The Michelin’s this time are fairly noisy compared to previous ones I have had on my other RX. I greatly appreciate the comments of this forum and the information that I have received here has been a real asset to keeping the RX up to date and any issues it has had resolved as much as possible.
Old 11-01-18, 11:49 AM
Coachdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran Goodyear Assurance Tripletred tires on my last 2 cars and loved them. They always seemed to last about 60K miles, they had great traction in all weather conditions. I was surprised and disappointed when I found out that Goodyear discontinued them.
Old 11-01-18, 12:04 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coachdad
I ran Goodyear Assurance Tripletred tires on my last 2 cars and loved them. They always seemed to last about 60K miles, they had great traction in all weather conditions. I was surprised and disappointed when I found out that Goodyear discontinued them.
Tires that last that long are not good for revenue generation. Still surprised?
Old 11-02-18, 07:16 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone tried the Pirelli's for the 20in wheels? The ratings on Tire Rack seem good.
Old 11-02-18, 09:15 AM
Coachdad
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Tires that last that long are not good for revenue generation. Still surprised?
Good point, but they were also expensive... So Goodyear was making a nice profit on them.
Old 11-02-18, 11:01 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CharmCtyIS
Has anyone tried the Pirelli's for the 20in wheels? The ratings on Tire Rack seem good.
I’ve only had one set of Pirellis (Nero Zero) & that was on a Mustang. Great wet & dry traction & they lasted a long time for performance tires.
The following users liked this post:
CharmCtyIS (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18, 04:20 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Coachdad
I had 3T;s on my Odyessy. Loved them. They also wore out under warranty and got a second set for a very nice price.
Old 11-02-18, 04:25 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JSracer
Originally Posted by mikemu30
Agree - I've never had any issues in wet or dry conditions with the Michelins. About 22K miles on them now.
Glad it worked out for you two. As for me, my opinion stays the same. At the time only 4K on the tires. In fact, I've never had a quality OEM tire, most of them wore out too fast. In most cases I was glad so I could replace them with something better. Hope for the same this time around.

Quick Reply: OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads)