RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Transmission fluid change (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-18, 09:32 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by My442
I always change ALL the fluids in my vehicles over time: Engine, transmission, P/S, differentials, brakes, coolant.

Typically change oil/filter every 5k miles.

Change the rest every 36 months.

Gives me peace of mind.
A man of my own heart! Regularly changing fluids is the route to go.
Old 10-11-18, 12:22 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
A man of my own heart! Regularly changing fluids is the route to go.
Absolutely!
Old 02-12-19, 01:53 PM
tadpole1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission oil flush

Today, I went to Toyota service center to get my 2017 RX350 engine oil changed.
I asked a service rep that whether transmission oil can be changed and he said yes it is possible at 60k.
Is it true? I thought our transmission is not servicable but if it is possible, I like to get serviced since I do not believe in life time trans oil.
Old 02-12-19, 03:54 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by tadpole1
I asked a service rep that whether transmission oil can be changed and he said yes it is possible at 60k.
Is it true? I thought our transmission is not servicable but if it is possible, I like to get serviced since I do not believe in life time trans oil.
It is serviceable, just not in the traditional sense as Toyota has designed this with lifetime fluid, just no one from Toyota has spoken on what lifetime is defined as (I doubt they`d ever reveal that information as that would be considered IP). Two schools of thought on this exist, those who dont, and those who do. If you beat the snot out of your RX, and plan to keep it over say 100k miles, might consider doing a drain and refill(no flush). If you dont intend keeping it past warranty, drive slow, or are from that second school of thought drive on and dont worry.

And as usual these things are YMMV on this.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-12-19)
Old 02-14-19, 10:14 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by tadpole1
They do it with a machine can't remember the brand, it's not BG, through the transmission's cooler lines, very effective and fast.
The alternative for a full exchange, according to the book, is very complex and time consuming that would cost at least twice as much.
You can also do drop & fill but in the end to achieve a FULL exchange it will cost you as much as doing it by machine plus all the wasted time, (yours)

I'll have mine done by the dealer when the time comes at 50K that way I'll know the work is done by qualified people.
nccareer (05-11-22)
Old 02-14-19, 01:39 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

my understanding with the machines used by shops - they using pressure to flush out the fluid through the cooler lines.

speaking strictly about changing out the fluid - i have on other vehicles disconnected the output line on the tranny cooler. i add a quart or so of fluid in and then start the car for a a few seconds (10 maybe). The fluid pumps out through the output line i disconnected into a catch basin and then i replenish the transmission with new fluid. I rinse and repeat until the fluid coming out is clean.

its sort of like a flush - but i consider it more of fluid "exchange" of dirty fluid for clean fluid - seems like the tricky part with the RX is making sure of the proper fluid level once all is said and done.
Old 02-14-19, 01:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

The Drain the Refill procedure on these vehicles are tedious compared to say the old school drain bolt and dipstick. However, Flushes are a controversial bit. IF you have never switched fluid, and are approaching 60k or beyound NEVER. Drain and refill is the only way with mileage going up. Safely I`d say first check if transmission flushes are allowed on these vehicles, and if your planning to get it at a early/half way 25k/2 year mark , since if anything does goo bad you have warranty to fall back on.
Old 02-14-19, 02:10 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by chunktwo
- seems like the tricky part with the RX is making sure of the proper fluid level once all is said and done.
Exactly, that's why it's best done by the machine. Lexus dealers use a MOC (I remembered the name this time) and it takes in consideration not only the amount of fluid coming out but also the temperature difference between the 2 fluids in/out (if there is any). All this is getting way too technical, it used to be fun now the machines are taking over.
Old 02-14-19, 02:34 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by coolsaber
The Drain the Refill procedure on these vehicles are tedious compared to say the old school drain bolt and dipstick. However, Flushes are a controversial bit. IF you have never switched fluid, and are approaching 60k or beyound NEVER. Drain and refill is the only way with mileage going up. Safely I`d say first check if transmission flushes are allowed on these vehicles, and if your planning to get it at a early/half way 25k/2 year mark , since if anything does goo bad you have warranty to fall back on.
Agreed, I always get my 1st fluid exchange around 50K Km and every 50 km thereafter. As you said if beyond 60K miles or never done D & F may be the best option.
Old 03-25-19, 12:34 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Is the 8-speed in our rx350 a ZF? i really hope not... I really have a lot more faith in Toyota.

but here is what ZF says about their transmissions.

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_...hange_oil.html

Last edited by ghost31711; 03-25-19 at 12:54 PM.
Cocal (03-25-19)
Old 03-25-19, 12:56 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ghost31711
This transmission is not made by Toyota, so Im really not that confident in it's lifetimesness...
It's not even Japanese (insert genuine horror face)
The people who made it thinks you should change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0f3AYoE3cI

While ZF makes the greatest longitudinal 8 speed out there, its FWD/transverse transmissions specifically the 9 speed is absolute garbage. Thankfully the unit in the RX I believe is an Aisin unit same as the Volvo XC90, to a degree. Aisin is a long time subcontractor for Toyota vehicles, and as usual with alot of companies that work with Toyota, has a 30% investment in the company.

The ZF video is informational for sure, since ZF transmissions were the leader of the whole Lifetime stamp automobile companies were using to justify no longer servicing their transmissions .
The following 2 users liked this post by coolsaber:
Cocal (03-25-19), ghost31711 (03-26-19)
Old 03-25-19, 01:16 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by ghost31711
Is the 8-speed in our rx350 a ZF? i really hope not... I really have a lot more faith in Toyota.

but here is what ZF says about their transmissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0f3AYoE3cI

Very informative and corroborates what I've always preached. The transmission is NOT ZF, but AINSIN actually maybe even better than ZF.
A lot of truck use it and has been proven very durable, FCA charges a premium for this tranny.
Old 03-26-19, 02:15 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
While ZF makes the greatest longitudinal 8 speed out there, its FWD/transverse transmissions specifically the 9 speed is absolute garbage. Thankfully the unit in the RX I believe is an Aisin unit same as the Volvo XC90, to a degree. Aisin is a long time subcontractor for Toyota vehicles, and as usual with alot of companies that work with Toyota, has a 30% investment in the company.

The ZF video is informational for sure, since ZF transmissions were the leader of the whole Lifetime stamp automobile companies were using to justify no longer servicing their transmissions .
Thank you, i did a little research right after i posted the links and corrected myself.
I wonder if the the new supra use the ZF...

anyways. I'm glad i found out before i went and bought ZF fluid to perform a fluid change.
Old 10-06-19, 08:12 AM
Sxs1987
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Differential Help

Hi all -

Requesting some help/knowledge please. I'm at 40k on our 16 RX350 F-Sport AWD. I really want to replace the differential fluid sometime within the next 10k miles but trying to do a little homework before I tackle it. I've tried searching this site and the interweb in general (along with the manual). The rear looks fairly straight forward, but I see no information about the front. Does anyone know if it shares the housing with the transfer maybe? Many thanks!
Old 12-24-19, 01:01 AM
Rxyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

New to the forum and first time Lexus owner coming from an '09 RAV4. Bought a 2016 RX350/FWD/Silver/Base model at 36k miles. Attempting to do an ATF drain and fill this week (any tips and tricks are most appreciated). I'm a gearhead and did all the work by myself on the RAV and it was running as good as new when I traded it in at 153k miles. Planning on the same with the RX. Wish me luck
The following 2 users liked this post by Rxyen:
ravenuer (12-24-19), Trexus (12-24-19)

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change (merged threads)